MAC will no longer connect to Cafe? Can you help me solve this? :D

Reaction score
Hello. There is a Cafe by my house I have been going to for the past year. It has two Wifi networks. One is dedicated to its coworking space, the other is for guests who come to eat and drink coffee. People who come in are given these little codes on pieces of paper that you enter that allow you to work for 3 hours at a time. Pretty simple.

When you click to connect to the guest network, an internet dialogue box is supposed to pop up, asking you to enter your code. For some reason, it never pops up anymore.

Though, if I try to connect to the other network, the one dedicated for the coworking space, the internet dialogue box does pop up -- though I cannot login because I do not have access to that server. These two dialogue boxes (the guest server and coworking server) are identical so I find it strange that the guest server box would not pop up but the other one will.

I have tried forgetting the networks, looking into keychains, clearing my cache. I just don't know what to do anymore. When I try to connect the wifi icon does its blink thing then shows I am connected, but never asks me to login and the box never pops up.

Any ideas on troubleshooting this?

Again, I am being asked to login through an internet dialogue box, not a wifi mac dialogue box. ALSO everyone around me is connected, and not having problems, so this is something going on with my Mac.

Thanks for all the help!
David

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Any ideas on troubleshooting this?

Did you ask the manager/employees at the cafe any questions? Maybe they're having issues (not you or your computer).:)

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
Thank you for the reply. I did, I asked them if they had a web address they could give me so that I could maybe somehow access the pop-up directly. They said that it should just pop-up. They didn't mention having any trouble with their servers.

Its a lot like when you go to an airport and you want to access their internet so a safari dialogue box pops up and you have to click "accept terms of use" etc.. except in this case the safari dialogue box doesnt pop up anymore. I feel like it would be a lot easier to connect if it were a native mac dialogue box.

It almost seems like my computer thinks its already connected so it doesnt need to make the popup run anymore or something.. I just am not sure where to go to clear that info. Just a guess.

Thanks again Nick

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok...thanks for the info.:)

Have you tried rebooting the computer?...or at least quitting & restarting Safari?

- Nick

OP
F
Reaction score
I have also tried quitting out of chrome and safari. Also rebooting my system. I went there last week and had this issue. I figured if I waited a week and came back it would be fixed -- figuring it was their issue. - and a week later same problem. So I am figuring its my computer.

I just find it so strange that everyone else can get on but I cannot.

http://www.seattletechnicalbooks.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP i7 mid 2012 macOS 10.12
I'd try forgetting the network and allowing your computer to find it again. It could be trying to log on with old credentials.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sometimes the preferences, cookies, permissions, or files can get corrupted. You can try downloading & installing the free maintenance app called Onyx. Once fully launched...just click on the "automation" button.:)

Then try connecting to the internet at the Cafe.

- Nick

p.s. And to take things to another level. Download, install, and run the app called "Malwarebytes". Just in case you picked up some malware. Which is very possible if you surf via a lot of public/hot spot networks.

M

MacInWin

I read somewhere about this challenge. The login gets "hidden" behind something. You can't log in because it doesn't show. And wherever I read about it there was a fix, but I've done some searching and cannot find that article. I'll keep looking but wanted you to know that there IS a solution, somewhere.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.