Mac vs Windows PC for Illustrator

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Wow can't believe I didn't think of it. >_>"

Mac screen res is 72 DPI, while Windows is 96 DPI. That's why the font sizes are not matching up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
old Dual 2.0 G5, new(er) ibook, old ibook, Mac Plus
I found this little bit of info:

Macintosh computers operate at the typographical standard resolution of 72 dpi. This makes it very easy to convert from pixels to points, because they're the same! This means that if you have the correct monitor size, your screen image will be the same size as what you print. There's 72 points in an inch, there's 72 pixels in an inch. Very nice.

Windows2 computers run at a standard resolution of 96 dpi, and I have no idea why (might be related to the dpi of some early CGA/EGA/VGA screens?). Because of this, objects that are displayed under Windows will appear to be 133% of their printed size. I can't tell you how many times I see students in the lab set their type size to 9 pt on a Windows workstation (appears to be (9 * 3/4) / 72 = 1/6" on screen) and wonder why it looks so tiny when printed (9/72 = 1/8" on paper).

Footnotes, revised 12-2000:
1. The 832x624 is apparently a really uncommon PC resolution, or a Mac-specific one, as you won't find it on your PC. Since Macs and PCs these days quite often use the same video hardware, chances are that both are true.

2. You will also find 96 dpi on PC hardware running non-Microsoft operating systems. For the reasons stated above, I still don't understand why 96 dpi is used. 72 dpi is much more useful for achieving WYSIWYG printed output for anything with text on it.

source:
Resolution to Monitor Size Charts

All that being said if you select a type face at 12pt and print it it should be at 12 pt no matter what system you use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Wow can't believe I didn't think of it. >_>"

Mac screen res is 72 DPI, while Windows is 96 DPI. That's why the font sizes are not matching up.

That would work if the operator resized the text according to how it looks on screen.

When they printed and overlaid they were different sizes.

I've heard of font shift in Flash but not in AI. Doesn't mean it isn't so. ;)

Anything on Adobe's forums?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.