Mac very slow, freezing

UIP

Reaction score
Hi there. I have an Intel Mac Pro which I bought new last year. It has 8GB RAM and four large-ish internal drives. And it's become so slow I can't use it for anything. This has happened to me three times before and out of frustration I replaced the hard drive once and formatted it another time. Both times it came back up to speed, but I can't do that every couple of months.

It's freezing during ridiculously little things, too, like when I open up the system preferences to adjust the input volume. I get the spinning beach ball indefinitely and have to do a forced quit on the system prefs.

I have bought and run: Disk Warrior, Macaroni, Onyx, Mac Maintenance, and Tiger Cache Cleaner. Can you tell I'm desperate?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. No one seems to know what the heck is going wrong. I don't download stuff other than programs connected to my work (Photoshop editing), so I can't see why this would happen.

Thanks.

Oh, I should add that I tried the tips recommended in the sticky here, but they wouldn't work. Nothing happened when I held the keys down and booted up. Perhaps it's because I have a wireless keyboard that the computer doesn't notice until it's fully booted up? I don't know, but nothing happened--no chimes, no opportunity to type anything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.