Mac to Mac iTunes transfer of recordings not purchased from iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 4.1 /10.13.6 Mini 7.1/ 12.7 MBP 11.4 /11.7.10 MB Air 6.2/ !0.15.7
I use to be able to transfer my non apple purchaced songs between different Macs.These computers are all owned by me all with the same iTunes ID. There was a link in the iTunes right hand side bar that let you select songs to transfer from another Mac’s librariy through the Home Sharing feature. The link was titled; Not in my library.. With it you could select songs you wanted to transfer from the other Mac. These would be songs recorded from radio and CDs, youtube, etc. This ability seems to be missing in Itunes 12. It was an easy way to keep libraries up to date. I’m not sure when or what version last had it as I had not used it for a couple years at least. The computers in question do have Home Sharing turned on and are authorized to my account .. Is it that iTunes doesn’t have that feature any longer? Am I not doing it correctly or is there a new way to accomplish this? Since there is a growing number of these songs I would like to find a way other than manually rerecording them separately.. Yes, I know any iTunes Store purchased song can be downloaded to any device with my ID of course. But that’s not the issue here. Macs are running os 10.124 and iTunes 12.5
Can you provide any help with this? Thanks
Sorry for the long winded question

Paul

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure if that's possible using the current iTunes. Someone else will have to chime in on that, however, there are third party apps which will do what you want very easily. Unfortunately they are not free. If you would like to go that way, take a look at "iMazing" for the Mac.

OP
OneWonders
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini 4.1 /10.13.6 Mini 7.1/ 12.7 MBP 11.4 /11.7.10 MB Air 6.2/ !0.15.7
chscag Thanks for that reply. Now I did follow up on the iMazing suggestion. I found others that seem capable of transferring media too. They are PhoneView, TouchCopy, iRip. Any thoughts or preferences here. I don't mind paying for good program.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi Paul:

I can only speak for the ones that I own and have used: iMazing and iExplorer. Both work real well and have saved my files on several occasions. Both programs can also do iOS backups plus some other things that I do not use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
chscag Thanks for that reply. Now I did follow up on the iMazing suggestion. I found others that seem capable of transferring media too. They are PhoneView, TouchCopy, iRip. Any thoughts or preferences here. I don't mind paying for good program.

Maybe make a visit to https://www.macupdate.com and check on the users comments and the various similar app comparisons.

PS: I'm also a satisfied user of iMazing. The latest version now has several additional options. I had iExplorer (unpaid) but I'm not sure it's still being updated.
EDIT: Opps, it was recently updated 23 Mar 2017 according to the info at macupdate.

I also try and avoid using the all-encompasing but often restricted PITA iTunes as much as possible. ;-)

Patrick
=====

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Hi Paul

I've been a user of PhoneView for some years - absolutely no problems.

But our Forums made me aware of other products and, after some research and a few pennies spent, have found iMazing to be particularly good. For example, you can restore your iDevice from the backup. You can also update your iOS via the app.

Indeed, you could manage all your iDevices - backup, restore, update, upgrade - without ever visiting iTunes, if that was your preference.

Personally, I use iTunes quite comprehensively as well.

And I had better state that I am not condemning other similar apps (e.g. iExplorer) nor implying that some others can't fulfil some or all of the above.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.