Mac Pro 3,1 Crash to Black Screen High Fan Speeds.

Reaction score
Hello! This is my first post here, was looking to get some help with a Mac Pro I acquired.
Let me give you an idea of what I did to this point.
Completely took it apart, dusted it all out, reapplied thermal paste, and removed the non functioning superdrives.
I also installed a 240GB SSD, and a 250 GB HDD.
Lastly I installed an EVGA GTX 1060 6GB edition as my gpu. I was able to get the patched version of High Sierra installed with no issues and then installed the nVidia web drivers. Everything seemed alright.
But I noticed that sometimes the machine will crash to a black screen, then all the fans kick on to high. Sometimes it'll do it right after it Chimes, sometimes 30 seconds after it hits the desktop. Then I thought it was an issue with the patched OS, so I went back to El Capitan with the original 8800GT and I haven't had the issue occur yet. Will check when I get off work though because it seems to happen the longer it sits off. I was going to try a patched version of Sierra next to see if maybe it was a high sierra issue because I really want to use the GTX 1060 I bought for it as I will be using it to edit video.

The Tech specs are as follows:
Early 2008 Mac Pro 3,1
2 Xenon 3.0Ghz Quad Cores
12GB DDR2 Ram
GTX 1060 6GB
240 GB Sandisk SSD + 250GB WD Blue

Hopefully someone out there can help me, I'd really appreciate it as I have run out of ideas aside from trying Sierra. Thanks!

Update - Each time this happens, it does chime and pass post, not once has it ever failed posting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Doubt it will work on OS X.11. Would have left things alone after the High Sierra install as HS was supposed to have the drivers in the operating system.

Have a read of this and remember your Mac Pro is ten years old and was released long before these Windows graphic cards so it will always be a hit and miss affair:-

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7644003

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
OP
M
Reaction score
Doubt it will work on OS X.11. Would have left things alone after the High Sierra install as HS was supposed to have the drivers in the operating system.

Have a read of this and remember your Mac Pro is ten years old and was released long before these Windows graphic cards so it will always be a hit and miss affair:-

That's like saying my Windows machine was built before the Pascal series GPUs so it'll be hit and miss. The Mac Pro 3,1 is listed to support these cards with the latest Nvidia web drivers. You can even look up on nvidia's site under compatiable models.

Also High Sierra was not suppose to have support for Pascal cards in the OS. Only some 8 series cards and whatnot worked out of box.

I'm just trying to determine if there's a hardware problem with my board. I've already researched a lot into this. Just stuck.

OP
M
Reaction score
OP
M
Reaction score

Also had it running for a while with El Capitan, and the 8800GT and it crashed again...I'm attaching the console log that came up before the crash.
screenshot.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.