Mac Pro 1,1 Upgrade Path / Server

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here. I've been a Mac user for 10 years and my most current Mac is an late-2009 27" iMac. As a house hold we have some different systems (about 200 - but that is a story for another day), running Mac OS X, Windows XP / Windows 7 and AmigaOS.

So basically I've just bought a Mac Pro 1,1 (it hasn't arrived yet) and I want to know what current upgrade paths are? I know the official OS limit is X Lion, but I thought I read there is a work around to get it up to El Capitan. Is that correct.

It has 5GB Ram (Not sure in what configuration) again I believe the official max is 16GB - possible 32GB.

What about hard drives? Is there an address issue? 4 bays, can I run for example 3TB a bay?

It comes with 2x 7300GT's. But I'm thinking of getting a 1GB graphics card (I want to play Xcom2!)

I've been thinking of building a server for a while so I may end up giving it ago (hence the hard drive question) currently I just use a WD NAS, but it is nearly maxed out, I want somewhere we can create Time Machine backups, stream films to my TV etc.

Any help would be great

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Not here but try Mac Rumours or use your old friend Google. You will not be able to upgrade with those old, unreliable 7300GT's. Maybe an ATI Radeon 4870. It can handle 32GB of memory but it is dear and the 3TB drive will be fine. Games can't help with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 16 inch 2,6Ghz I7 - MacPro 5,1 3,2Ghz-6Core Xeon
I have some experience with these systems,
That 7300gt has to go... it is terrible and not supported in anything newer than Lion (10,7,5)
4870 is an option but quite old, also if you're going to run a more powerful graphics card you'll need to order cables for it (http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Mac-Pro-G5-m...378990?hash=item2eeb4feb6e:g:dQ8AAOxyj4hTHDoV) for example (videocard depended) You can also upgrade the processors to 3Ghz-Quadcores, all and all you can make this an awesome computer, as for osx el capital, search google for pikes boot loader

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.