Mac OS X Audio Issue

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have a Mac OS X 10.5.8 (PPC) and I have a problem with it's capture device. On my external microphone, I would test the playback system and normally, I would hear my background and my voice. Lately I have been testing this and no sound is going in. Can you guys help me discover the problem and the solution?

robduckyworth

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
does the mic work in garageband or any other application?

try Skype, or iMovie or something.

if it doesnt work your mic may have bit the dust.

OP
E
Reaction score
I have tried Teamspeak 3 and no audio sound is going in. I'm going to test out Skype.

OP
E
Reaction score
Ok, I tried Skype's audio testing thing and I didn't hear anything but the automated voice from Skype. What should I do now?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Has this mic stopped working in programs it used to work in? If you were using OP 9 apps some of them supported a playthru function that I do not often find in OS X apps without some tweaking.

OP
E
Reaction score
I normally use the Teamspeak 3 Client for my microphone. It would work all the time until now where I would try to speak but no sound is going through the computer. Like every time I would speak into the microphone, the people I would be chatting with would hear me and the fan noise. Now, they don't hear anything.

OP
E
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have bought myself a new microphone and the same problem persists. No sound goes through the microphone and its a new one as well.

Reaction score
What kind of mic is it? You do know the mic input on a Mac is line level right?
You need an amplifier to get the mic to line level. Or is this a USB mic?
If so, open System Profiler and see if it shows up.

OP
E
Reaction score
Its a Cyber Acoustic microphone. It has a Green and a Pink wire that I plug into the back of the computer. I'm not really smart in tech so I not sure if this mic is a USB mic.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK that mic is not usb unless it has a separate adapter that came with it. As carom suggested you will need something to take the mic level signal up to the line level you Mac expects.

Essentially you have two options. The first option is to go to an electronics store that sells parts (such as Radio Shack) and tell them what you want to do. They will sell you a mic preamp that should do the job.

The second option is to get something like the iMic from Griffin Technologies. The mic will plug into it and it in turn plugs into the USB port on your Mac. I checked a few days ago and I think they were $20-30 US on Amazon.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll get myself to Radio Shack the next time. If I can't find Radio Shack though, I'll try Amazon. Thanks for the help =)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You're welcome. Hope that helps. Even with the pre amp in place there may be a few mics that don't play nice. I remember one of my friends having a similar problem with his PC> Never did track the problem down.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.