Mac Monitor

Reaction score
have anyone heard about the next Apple monitor release date?
I am in need of purchasing one but apple didn't produce any since 2012- which I can't find the new one anyway.
Any help is absolutely appreciated.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was in my local Apple Store this past afternoon and they had the LG 27" Ultra-Fine monitors setup and displaying Apple propaganda. Very nice monitors, high resolution, and built especially for Apple by LG. In my opinion, they're still not as nice as the older Apple Cinema monitors. They're also expensive.

OP
Q
Reaction score
they're still not as nice as the older Apple Cinema monitors. They're also expensive.
Exactly... I was at Apple store and someone told me that they are going to release one in Sep. AND, yes, the LG ones are no match for the old Apple Monitors for design purposes.
I am ok buying a used one from a trusted source.

Reaction score
it is a poorly kept secret that Apple never made any monitors itself at all. All of the external Apple-branded monitors were made for Apple by Samsung. If you look at Samsung's lineup of monitors you will find at the top of the range a couple of monitors that look suspiciously like apples own now-discontinued models. They are virtually identical and even cost less.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The fact that Samsung has made several of the last sets of Apple monitors is part of the reason we have a Samsung TV set. Several years ago we were looking for a new set and had not seen the pictures of several TV screens face-to-face. We had seen the Apple monitors over the years and had like the picture on all but one model.

We found out later that there are many ways where Samsung gear did not play well with Macs but it wasn't due to picture quality.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I am in need of purchasing one but apple didn't produce any since 2012- which I can't find the new one anyway.

Technically this is mostly correct...Apple hasn't released a new Apple monitor model since 2011. But the 27" Apple Thunderbolt Cinema Display (released in 2011) wasn't discontinued until June, 2016 (about 1 year ago). I would give purchasing a used one a try. Monitors like this are usually in pretty good shape...since 99.9% of the time they just sit on someone's desktop area untouched (just looked at).:)

If you do decide to go the used route. Get the serial number of the display to find out when it was produced. Figuring newer is better.:)

- Nick

OP
Q
Reaction score
Technically this is mostly correct...Apple hasn't released a new Apple monitor model since 2011. But the 27" Apple Thunderbolt Cinema Display (released in 2011) wasn't discontinued until June, 2016 (about 1 year ago). I would give purchasing a used one a try. Monitors like this are usually in pretty good shape...since 99.9% of the time they just sit on someone's desktop area untouched (just looked at).:)

If you do decide to go the used route. Get the serial number of the display to find out when it was produced. Figuring newer is better.:)

- Nick

Very interesting input. I will definitely follow-up on that. My manager wanter me to get something, and I said: Not before I speak to mac-forums' friends.
Hope with everyone's help, I get what I need.
Thnx

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
By the way QueenMe. Do you REALLY need a high-quality monitor (not sure what computer tasks you do on this computer)? If not...you certainly don't need a high-end expensive Apple monitor. Just get a brand new 22", 24", or 27" "other brand" monitor for 30-40% (or maybe less) of the price of an "Apple" monitor...and you will be good to go.:)

- Nck

OP
Q
Reaction score
By the way QueenMe. Do you REALLY need a high-quality monitor (not sure what computer tasks you do on this computer)? If not...you certainly don't need a high-end expensive Apple monitor. Just get a brand new 22", 24", or 27" "other brand" monitor for 30-40% (or maybe less) of the price of an "Apple" monitor...and you will be good to go.:)

- Nck

My job is in creative field. Graphic design, digital and print.... the difference is high. It will worth the investment.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My job is in creative field. Graphic design, digital and print.... the difference is high. It will worth the investment.

Totally understand. This info was not mentioned in the thread previously (unless I missed it)...thus wanted to verify your needs.

I've been using Mac's since the mid-1980's...I totally understand the display needs of folks working in the photography, video, graphics, and creative area's. I've carried MANY of the old high-quality 90 pound CRT based 21" monitor's in my day! Thank god for flat panel display's...a LOT EASIER on the back!!!;)

I agree you want/need a high quality display.:)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've carried MANY of the old high-quality 90 pound CRT based 21" monitor's in my day! Thank god for flat panel display's...a LOT EASIER on the back!!!;)

- Nick
The first time I lifted a flat panel display I forgot about the weight difference. Grabbed the box with the monitor in it by the handle and nearly threw it across the room. Good thing the handle was well attached.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The first time I lifted a flat panel display I forgot about the weight difference. Grabbed the box with the monitor in it by the handle and nearly threw it across the room. Good thing the handle was well attached.

An AMAZING difference.:) I guess technically...the 27" Apple Thunderbolt display at 23.5 pounds (plus box maybe 25 pounds)...is not exactly light. But wayyy better than a 90 pound 21" CRT display from days long past!;)

And the 27" Apple display does so much more. Connectivity ports...provides power for laptops...has builtin speakers...etc.:)

- Nick

p.s. For our metric members:

* 23.5 lbs = 10.7 kilo's
* 90 lbs = 41 kilo's

;);)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm wondering if Apple is permanently out of the monitor business? Our local Apple store only has the LG Ultra Fine monitors on display. Like I previously said, they're nice monitors with high resolution, camera, TB ports, etc, (all the stuff the Apple monitors have) but they just don't look as "Apple" as the Apple monitors do. Besides that, they're pretty expensive. I would rather buy a new iMac. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
$1,299.95 is pretty pricey. Maybe I'll get one as an external display for my $4999 iMac Pro!;) LOL

- Nick

OP
Q
Reaction score
Totally understand. This info was not mentioned in the thread previously (unless I missed it)....

I agree you want/need a high quality display.:)

- Nick

My bad.... I should have mentioned it. Yes, it does make a huge difference and one problem is that I don't know how to convince the IT-windows user-managers to understand the difference when you want to purchase the high res monitor for work...

OP
Q
Reaction score
$1,299.95 is pretty pricey. Maybe I'll get one as an external display for my $4999 iMac Pro!;) LOL

- Nick
That is actually the main problem...you buy the 5000 MacBook Pro that needs a 2000 monitor. I agree, for work, iMac should be used. I don't really know how the new ones work but the first iMac version that I had, was darn gooooood!!! problem is that we are taking work home, or in the coffeeshop or work remote when on business trip...you have to be wireless.

on another token: can anyone give me a good convincing line that I can give to someone who asks me "why designers need apple monitor"? LOL

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
on another token: can anyone give me a good convincing line that I can give to someone who asks me "why designers need apple monitor"? LOL
"Using anything else just doesn't flow aesthetically and would be too jarring/disruptive to your creative process."

If the parties involved buy that rush out and purchase the monitor quickly before they change their minds. lol

OP
Q
Reaction score
Sad Update...
I ended up getting this: https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9b-24-025-430 not sure why link doesn't work properly here ,,,the monitor is : LG 34UB88-P Black 34" 5ms (GTG), 14ms (On/Off) HDMI Widescreen LED Backlight LCD Monitor, 3440 x 1440, IPS 300 cd/m2 DFC Mega (1,000:1)
Item #: 9B-24-025-430|Mfr. Part #: 34UB88-P|UNSPSC: 43211902

Hope I don't get disappointed. I am thinking, since I am not getting my precious apple monitor, at least get the extra space to move all of my tools away from my actual application workstation.
What do you guys think? Made a mistake?

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.