Mac mini won't reboot from Installer USB

Reaction score
I have an old 2011 Mac mini that I want to get going again to watch films on. I made an OSX Yosemite usb thumb drive installer but when I plug it in and turn on the power it just makes three beeps repeatedly without doing anything more. What do the three beeps mean? Is it dead? Is there a way of getting into the BIOS setup? Many thanks
Stuart

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to our forums.

The three beeps over and over indicate a memory problem. Either the RAM is the wrong type or defective. Best test is to substitute known good memory. While the unit is open, you might also want to change out the BIOS battery.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Didn't know Macs had a BIOS battery - did you mean CMOS battery, Charlie ?;) :)

Ian

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
LOL, you're correct of course Ian. Too early in the AM when I posted that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.