Mac mini server edition questions

Reaction score
hi all,
just I've got my first mac ever...i've got a mac mini server edition.

I'm not going to use the server features until after some time and am going to use it for normal daily use like flash,mails browsing and other such activities. So I would like to know what will I be missing or gaining up in the server edition (except for the dvd drive) when compared to normal mini and also, is it possible to load windows in to it?(yes, I'm getting a superdrive pretty soon tooo).

thanks.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
I think you will be wasting money on the server edition just buy the regular edition. Everything you want to do is more than possible with the standard mini.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac Minis, Mac Mini Servers
hi all,
just I've got my first mac ever...i've got a mac mini server edition.

I'm not going to use the server features until after some time and am going to use it for normal daily use like flash,mails browsing and other such activities. So I would like to know what will I be missing or gaining up in the server edition (except for the dvd drive) when compared to normal mini and also, is it possible to load windows in to it?(yes, I'm getting a superdrive pretty soon tooo).

thanks.

Go ahead and run your mini server as a home machine. I recommend configuring Dynamic DNS and configuring some services like web and e-mail. This is a great platform to learn on.

If your want to make the mac mini server faster, you can try running RAID 0 stripping which will essentially load-balance the two 500GB hard drives.

If you find it works really well and want a more robust solution, you need real mac mini hosting. Mac Mini World.net for example is only $30 per month to host your mini server in a real data center. Best of all you'll have someone to turn to in the event of a serious problem.

Goodluck with your server! Welcome to the server-admin family.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.