Mac mini Question!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014, 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
Hey all,
First post here but I've been dying to ask a question....
Is it worth getting a Mac mini, along with my iMac I have the old iPad Pro 12.9 inch. I mainly use word processing and some light gaming on my iMac and I like the look of the portability of the Mac mini and I am curious if it would be worth it to buy a second hand one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hey there MacFan...welcome...great to see you got that first question out of the way!;)

As far as the Mac-Mini...what are your goals with it? You said you liked the Mac-Mini's portability. What sort of portability needs do you have that your iPad Pro isn't doing...or possibly a new-to-you MacBook/MacBook Pro couldn't do better than a Mac-Mini?

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
I agree with pigoo3, a Mac mini isn't really portable. It may be easier to transport than an iMac, but with the iMac, the screen also goes with you.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2014, 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, Intel HD Graphics 5000 1536 MB
Yeah, seems like the best idea. Only issue I have though is the lack of USB compatibility with the iPad Pro.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah, seems like the best idea. Only issue I have though is the lack of USB compatibility with the iPad Pro.

You saying that maybe a used MacBook/MacBook Pro would be preferred instead of the Mini?

Also...not 100% sure what devices you would like to be able to connect to your iPad Pro via USB...but maybe this adapter would get the job done (lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter):

Lightning to USB Camera Adapter - Apple

- Nick

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Nick, a used MacBook might be the long term solution but the cheaper Lightning to USB adaptor seems like the best deal. I’ll look into it.
Cheers.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Excellent. I'm guessing you would prefer to continue with the iPad Pro for portability.:) I always wanted a 12.9 iPad Pro. Even used via eBay they're still pricey.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
A side question here Nick - I have a new Mini with 4 lightning connection sockets but only 2 USB (grrrrr!). I'd like to utilise lightning with external USB devices via USB A female (socket). Are there adaptor cables for that purpose? All I can seem to find (here in NZ) are camera adaptors like that you've suggested to MacFan, and there's no indication of the USB size, ie. standard, mini or micro.

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A side question here Nick - I have a new Mini with 4 lightning connections but only 2 USB ( grrrrr!), so I'd like to utilise lightning with external USB-linked devices. Are there adaptor cables for that purpose? All I can seem to find (here in NZ) are camera adaptors like that you've suggested to MacFan.

Hey there Hugh. I'm thinking you may have the port names mixed up. I think your Mini has 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports (not Lightning)...if that's the case...you need a different adapter.:)

- Nick

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Are there adaptor cables for that purpose? All I can seem to find (here in NZ) are camera adaptors like that you've suggested to MacFan.

Just use your browser to search for 'mac lightning connection to USB' as a minimum and you shold get lots of hits with suggestions:
mac lightning connection to USB - Google Search

EDIT:
OPPPS!!! Duh!!! Nick is right and why didn't I catch that???

See typical late model mini ports etc here:
Mac mini "Core i3" 3.6 (Late 2018) Specs (2018, MRTR2LL/A, Macmini8,1, A1993, 3213): EveryMac.com

Change your search to 'USB-C connector to USB mac' for:
USB-C connector to USB mac - Google Search

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What you need Hugh is a USB-c to USB adapter. Like this:

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

Thunderbolt 3 ports (what you have on your 2018 Mac-Mini) look/same shape as USB-C ports. Thus the need for a USB-C to USB adapter.:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I was thinking the same thing. Which model Mac Mini do you have Hugh? Is it the new 2018 model?

The 2018 model like Nick said above has 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports which are also USB-C/USB 3.1.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What you need Hugh is a USB-c to USB adapter. Like this:
USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

I sure hope they offer Free Shipping to NZ for that price!!! :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I sure hope they offer Free Shipping to NZ for that price!!! :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

You're dreaming! About the only distributor that I know who ships to Australia and NZ is OWC. Most US suppliers won't do it because of customs and local VAT. If there's an Apple Store in NZ, Hugh would be better off buying it from them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Hey there Hugh. I'm thinking you may have the port names mixed up.

Duh! Now how could any reasonable thinking person - other than me obviously - confuse a lightning symbol with lightning? Besides, thunder doesn't have bolts. :Confused: Thanks for the correction, I shall go sit in the corner.

...you need a different adapter.:)

I shall look at the options mentioned on this page.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was thinking the same thing. Which model Mac Mini do you have Hugh? Is it the new 2018 model?

Yes, and I am corrected, there are four Thunderbolt ports. The adaptor Nick suggested first is available here in NZ at about twice the US price. OWC sells them for US8-$9 Search Results for USB-C to USB Adapter at MacSales.com but shipping kills that price advantage. You may be interested to check out AliExpress.com - Online Shopping for Popular Electronics, Fashion, Home & Garden, Toys & Sports, Automobiles and More. which sells adaptors at much lower prices, and often with free (but slow - sent low priority) shipping. Making sure the item is the correct one is the challenge.

A search of NZ online sales sites shows what I think could be the solution
Tech.Inc USB-C to USB Convertor | The Warehouse
Take a good look at that price, keeping in mind it's NZ$, about half the value of the US$, thus I can buy four of those adaptors for the price of one sold in NZ by Apple.

Hugh

Last edited:
Reaction score
Also...not 100% sure what devices you would like to be able to connect to your iPad Pro via USB...but maybe this adapter would get the job done (lightning-to-usb-camera-adapter):

Apple's Lightning to USB adapter for the iPad is rarely a satisfactory option to connect the sorts of peripherals one would expect to be able to connect to a personal computer like a laptop or a desktop Mac. The problem isn't that it's a "bad" adapter, the problem is that the iPad isn't exactly a personal computer, and so while you can physically connect peripherals to it using this adapter, the iPad doesn't have drivers for most peripherals built-in, and they don't exist to add to your iPad.

If you are looking to add things to a portable computing device, such as a printer, or a scanner, or an external hard drive, etc., I highly recommend getting assurances from the peripheral's manufacturer that it can and will work with an iPad before purchasing it for use with one.

Of course, just about any and all of the usual peripherals will work perfectly with a MacBook just as they would with a desktop computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@Randy
The problem isn't that it's a "bad" adapter, the problem is that the iPad isn't exactly a personal computer, and so while you can physically connect peripherals to it using this adapter, the iPad doesn't have drivers for most peripherals built-in, and they don't exist to add to your iPad.

Thanks for the factual, honest and valid opinion, but one that may have a few number of exceptions, but not many IMHO.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
@Randy

Thanks for the factual, honest and valid opinion, but one that may have a few number of exceptions, but not many IMHO.

It's not really an "opinion". The iPad has never really accepted hard wiring of external peripherals like a laptop or desktop personal computer would. it was, and still is, not designed to.

Thank goodness that the iPad can now use at least some peripherals wirelessly. But the iPad has always had some noticeable limitations compared to using a Macbook, and even now the iPad just isn't as versatile. Members of my user group are constantly wanting to use their iPads as their only mobile computing device, but that often isn't practical.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.