Mac Mini not booting (fan is on, no HDMI signal, keyboard capslock does not light up)

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm having a very strange problem with my Mac Mini 2010. My Mac Mini was using High Sierra and I believe it is possible it was having a software update when I had a power outage yesterday.

• When power was restored, I've been unable to get it to properly boot.
  • When I turn it on, the front light goes on and I can hear the sound of a fan; however, there is no HDMI signal and no startup chime whatsoever.
  • When I turn it on and hear the fan, I tried hitting the caps lock key on my USB Apple keyboard and unfortunately the LED does not go on, so I'm unsure if the keyboard is even being recognised.
  • I've tried resetting the PRAM, but I don't think it's recognising the keyboard and I hear no chimes.
  • I can't reset the SMC, because the instructions state to wait 5 seconds after plugging it back in to restart it; however, the Mac Mini starts automatically the moment I plug it in.

I am at a loss at what to do next. I purchased a Thunderbolt cable and it will be here in an hour or so, so I can maybe connect it to my iMac as a drive, but with the keyboard not appearing to be working I'm not sure if that will even be possible.

I appreciate any suggestions!

I incorrectly stated it was a 2014 model, when it is in fact a 2010 model.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Can you give us more information about your iMac? Do you happen to have a USB keyboard?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It is a Mac Mini a1347 (2014)

It is connected to an Apple USB keyboard.

Thank you

I suspect the power outage and then coming back on may have damaged the hard drive in your Mac Mini. Try the target mode that Bob recommended but if you're in an area that has power outages, you should use an UPS or a surge protected power strip.

krs

Reaction score
I suspect the power outage and then coming back on may have damaged the hard drive in your Mac Mini. Try the target mode that Bob recommended but if you're in an area that has power outages, you should use an UPS or a surge protected power strip.

I use a Mac Mini as well so I'm interested in this situation and possible resolution.

As to the hard drive being damaged, that is possible, but the Mini start up sequence doesn't get anywhere close to the hard drive loading the OS.

With the light coming on, the fan coming on, but the start up chime not - seems like the Mini is stuck at BootROM initialization.
Understanding Mac boot Process - Hawkdive

I would try removing one of the RAMs and then try each one of the RAMs individually in each slot

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Mini may have power supply damage as well. Or it could just be the power supply that's gone south. I missed the part about the missing boot chime. BTW, I miss the boot chime as my iMac is a newer model that no longer chimes for the POST.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks Charley for mentioning the new iMacs not chiming anymore. That is sad.

To the OP. When the power came back on did you see any kind of a surge like lights going really bright for a second? If so and you have no UPS/Surge protector it probably blew something in the power supply.

OP
D
Reaction score
I thought you have a Mac mini, and an iMac?
You can use Target Disk Mode, What Is Target Disk Mode? How and When to Use It on Your Mac. Do it on the mini, then connect to your iMac. It should show p as an external drive on your iMac.

Thank you, sorry I was confused by what you meant. I also have an iMac 27-inch Late 2013 - I have my cable and will try that. Is there any concern that when I plug the USB keyboard in, that the capslock light doesn't go on when pressed? I'm concerned that anything I do that requires a keyboard isn't going to work because it doesn't appear to be recognising the keyboard.

With the light coming on, the fan coming on, but the start up chime not - seems like the Mini is stuck at BootROM initialization.

I would try removing one of the RAMs and then try each one of the RAMs individually in each slot

I will give this a try this afternoon when I am back from work.

Thanks Charley for mentioning the new iMacs not chiming anymore. That is sad.

To the OP. When the power came back on did you see any kind of a surge like lights going really bright for a second? If so and you have no UPS/Surge protector it probably blew something in the power supply.

I didn't notice this happening, but it's possible. I'm in Ireland so while power outages are sadly not unusual, it isn't very common where I am - in fact this is the first one I've had in 6 years.

OP
D
Reaction score
I use a Mac Mini as well so I'm interested in this situation and possible resolution.

As to the hard drive being damaged, that is possible, but the Mini start up sequence doesn't get anywhere close to the hard drive loading the OS.

I went home and did this. I removed all the RAM and tried turning it on. I am greeted with a low sounding BEEP followed by about five seconds of silence then BEEP and then another five seconds of silence then BEEP.

I then powered off and tried removing the RAM and trying each one individually in each slot. No chime and no change in behaviour. :[

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro

The 2014 Mac mini, has soldered in ram, no removable option. That’s why the SMC reset is important.

Bob -

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

krs

Reaction score
The 2014 Mac mini, has soldered in ram, no removable option. That’s why the SMC reset is important.

Bob -

You're right, that's what's stated on the every Mac website.
I have a 2012 Mini which still uses replacable RAM.

But if the RAM is in fact soldered, then what did the OP remove per post # 10?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

I am then wondering if he has a 2014 or a newer one as I get this from OWC and other sites:

Unfortunately, the "Late 2014" Mac mini models have soldered RAM that cannot be upgraded after the initial system purchase. ... The RAM in these models cannot be upgraded later. The current "Late 2018" Mac mini models triumphantly return with two memory slots and use even faster 2666 MHz PC4-21300 DDR4 SO-DIMMs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I missed that. I was using the iOS MF app, and it went right to your post.

Obviously, they are not using a Late 2014 Mac mini.

Bob -

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
He likely has an older Mac Mini, probably a Late 2012 model (sold by Apple until 2014) which had two removable memory slots and could take up to 16 GB.

OP
D
Reaction score
He likely has an older Mac Mini, probably a Late 2012 model (sold by Apple until 2014) which had two removable memory slots and could take up to 16 GB.

Actually, I'm far more daft than that..my apologies.

I went to the Authorised Apple Reseller in Ireland, because we do not have Apple Stores here and brought it in. Apparently, it is actually a 2010 model. I thought it was 2014, because I had looked up the model number on a website and it said 2014. This coincided with what my father said when I took it off him, that he got it in 2014. Apologies for being dumb.

CompuB told me that given the age of the Mac Mini, they would not be able to assist me if the issue was hardware.

I went to various mac repair places in Dublin and was turned away, no one would touch this. I found a place in Limerick that stated I should try to take the hard drive out because he said if the hard drive is damaged I could be having these symptoms.

Dubheasa

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have a look at ifixit.com, Mac mini Mid 2010 Repair - iFixit, for replacing the hard drive repair guide. See if it is something you may be comfortable attempting.

krs

Reaction score
I found a place in Limerick that stated I should try to take the hard drive out because he said if the hard drive is damaged I could be having these symptoms.

Dubheasa

I really doubt it's the hard drive - if it was only the hard drive you should at least hear the chime which is part of the boot up process but does not involve the hard drive.

If you have a back up or even just an external, you could use that to essentially bypass the internal hard drive.

But now that we know it's a 2010 Mini, people will be able to make more appropriate suggestions.

I always try to determine the root cause of the problem before replacing parts.

krs

Reaction score
So let me get this straight...

You said:
I can't reset the SMC, because the instructions state to wait 5 seconds after plugging it back in to restart it; however, the Mac Mini starts automatically the moment I plug it in.
So you disconnected the power cord from the Mini completely for a short while and then when you plugged the power back in the Mini started right away by itself without you doing anything else?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have to agree with member "krs" that it's not likely the hard drive. Probably a failed or weakened power supply. Good advice here is not to spend any more money on it and start saving up for a newer Mini or other newer Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.