Mac Mini M2 8GB or 16GB and the Pro version - real-life user experience

OP
macuros
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Mac Mini (8/512), M2 Macbook Air (8/256), Studio Display
Great to hear that!:)

Your son must really be working the computer playing games. The one thing about the Apple Silicon computers in general (laptops as well)...is they run significantly cooler & quieter than the previous Intel based models.

The Intel based models almost always ran hot (didn't take too much to get them hot)...and fans almost always loud. So hot that if it was the Summertime...on your lap...and wearing shorts...could burn your legs (I've had this happen many times)...large red marks on legs.

I'm guessing when you use your M2 MacBook Air...it's almost always cool & silent.:)

Nick
Yes, when I work, it almost never gets hot, maybe just a little warm. I had an Intel MBA (entry model) before and it was constantly hot, the fans were spinning when I was just watching a YouTube video... I'm glad I swapped it for this MBA M2.

Memory pressure is currently like this (the highest consumer is Safari):

SCR-20230921-jhia.png

And the CPU:
SCR-20230921-jhfz.png

Thank you all for your input. I think I need to calm down a bit, get a break for a few days from this, and see how it goes further.

Last edited:
OP
macuros
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's also attractive that the entry-level Mac has a mini fan. That could help too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
My strong suspicion is that the best that you can do is blow away the Directory, while leaving all of the data intact to be over-written. That's why Apple now recommends that you encrypt the data on your SSD before selling it, rather than erasing it as you would have for a rotating disk hard drive.
As I understand it, Randy, the new FileVault process creates a second encrpytion key for the drive, based on the username and password. The drive is always encrypted, by default, but the FV process adds this extra key. So, when it is transferred or sold, all the user need do is erase that second key and the entire drive is now encrypted and pretty much unbreakable. No more need to overwrite anything at all. That is similar to what you described, but slightly different.

Reaction score
As I understand it, Randy, the new FileVault process creates a second encrpytion key for the drive, based on the username and password. The drive is always encrypted, by default, but the FV process adds this extra key. So, when it is transferred or sold, all the user need do is erase that second key and the entire drive is now encrypted and pretty much unbreakable. No more need to overwrite anything at all. That is similar to what you described, but slightly different.
Yes, that's correct if you are being pedantic. I should have said "encryption key" instead of "directory."

However, I just checked, and even that is incorrect now. Apple has changed its guidance on how to erase a Mac before selling it, and they no longer even mention FileVault:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Is it any wonder that we lesser individuals find ourselves constantly confused about what one should do, and when; and which process to follow depending on our macOS; whether it's an Intel or Silicon Mac etc?

Just typing all that above brings on a sort of fuzzy headache;):cry::LOL::sleep:

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Yes, that's correct if you are being pedantic. I should have said "encryption key" instead of "directory."

However, I just checked, and even that is incorrect now. Apple has changed its guidance on how to erase a Mac before selling it, and they no longer even mention FileVault:

As I said, what Apple has done is by default, the drive is both compressed and encrypted and then a System key is set for it. FV just adds another key that encrpyts the System key. When the user selects the option to erase all content, both keys are obliterated. Making the drive totally unreadable. A new install of the OS takes place and a new SSV created for boot.

The beauty is it saves a lot of effort and wear on the storage.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Memory pressure is currently like this (the highest consumer is Safari):
* How long do you usually go between fresh computer reboots (hours, days, weeks, etc)?
* What happens if you reboot the computer...then start working normally (with the apps you usually work with)?

Maybe this is something that builds up over time...and more frequent reboots could help. Keep an eye on the memory pressure...and see how long it takes to get into the "yellow" (after a fresh reboot).

Nick

p.s. Depending on how the computer is used (between you and your son's gaming)...maybe the computer works fine with what you normally do...and the son's gaming is what's pushing things over the edge.

Gaming can frequently push a computer to it's limits...especially Apple computers...since Apple computers are not known as the best gaming machines. The higher temps when your son is gaming is proof of this.

OP
macuros
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
* How long do you usually go between fresh computer reboots (hours, days, weeks, etc)?
Weeks.

* What happens if you reboot the computer...then start working normally (with the apps you usually work with)?
It is in green, but close to yellow. As soon as I open Safari etc., it goes to yellow. I use Safari a lot, and a lot of browser work (website building, etc.). But it is funny that it goes to yellow so soon.

Maybe this is something that builds up over time...and more frequent reboots could help.
Yes, this is exactly what I see. It builds up and it will not go down.

p.s. Depending on how the computer is used (between you and your son's gaming)...maybe the computer works fine with what you normally do...and the son's gaming is what's pushing things over the edge.
I usually reboot after gaming. But I never need to reboot my previous iMac for this. That's why I lean towards 16 GB RAM.

Gaming can frequently push a computer to it's limits...especially Apple computers...since Apple computers are not known as the best gaming machines. The higher temps when your son is gaming is proof of this.
Yes, I am aware of that, but I don't think games like Roblox, Cities Skylines are that much pressure.

Because of all that, maybe M2 Pro Mac mini will be better for future :)

I am not used to reboot my Mac so often...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not unusual. I may even go longer than this with my Apple computers. Lol
It is in green, but close to yellow. As soon as I open Safari etc., it goes to yellow. I use Safari a lot, and a lot of browser work (website building, etc.).
Sounds like it's time to try Chrome...and see if that helps. No need to use Safari if it's causing issues.

Of course if you do a lot of website building...good to use Safari to test how a website performs (quality assurance testing)...but otherwise could try/use other browsers for the day-to-day stuff (and see if it helps).
Because of all that, maybe M2 Pro Mac mini will be better for future :)
What future would that be...the unknown future where you don't exactly know what kind of computer will be needed...and don't know how long in the future that will be (years)?;)

Maybe wait until you hit a wall where more computer is needed (you said this M2 MacBook Air does all you need it to do).

If this is 3 years from now...then you buy the M3, M4, or M5 based Apple computer that fits the budget & needs...At That Time. Why buy an M2 computer now (that's not really needed)...when the same money can be put towards an M3, M4, or M5 two or more years from now.:)

This memory pressure thing does not seem to be impacting how you do things on your M2 MacBook Air...so I say "Fuhgeddaboudit"!;)

If the memory pressure thing was causing issues (real computer issues...not losing sleep issues)...Lol...then purchasing a more powerful computer (more RAM)...might be the thing to do.

Nick

OP
macuros
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sounds like it's time to try Chrome...and see if that helps. No need to use Safari if it's causing issues.

Of course if you do a lot of website building...good to use Safari to test how a website performs (quality assurance testing)...but otherwise could try/use other browsers for the day-to-day stuff (and see if it helps).
I am so used to Safari, I like to use stock apps as much as possible (don't ask me why :D ). But yes, for website and forum building, I use Firefox and it works great, but then the load is even bigger.

What future would that be...the unknown future where you don't exactly know what kind of computer will be needed...and don't know how long in the future that will be (years)?;)

Maybe wait until you hit a wall where more computer is needed (you said this M2 MacBook Air does all you need it to do).

If this is 3 years from now...then you buy the M3, M4, or M5 based Apple computer that fits the budget & needs...At That Time. Why buy an M2 computer now (that's not really needed)...when the same money can be put towards an M3, M4, or M5 two or more years from now.:)
True. And I can more easily afford the entry class every 2-3 years.

This memory pressure thing does not seem to be impacting how you do things on your M2 MacBook Air...so I say "Fuhgeddaboudit"!;)

If the memory pressure thing was causing issues (real computer issues...not losing sleep issues)...Lol...then purchasing a more powerful computer (more RAM)...might be the thing to do.
Yes, I guess I am too obsessed with the memory pressure. If all works, then...

I just need to decide whether I need 2 Macs now. I've always had it that way. If yes, then I guess an entry-level Mac mini will suffice.

Thank you, Nick.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just need to decide whether I need 2 Macs now. I've always had it that way. If yes, then I guess an entry-level Mac mini will suffice.
Hey...nothing wrong with having more than 1 computer. I was mainly coming from the super-duper frugal angle...when I'm saying stick with your M2 MacBook Air only.

If you got the budget...and you won't be going hungry;)...sure go for a 2nd Apple computer. Apple refurbished or a used computer are good choices (not necessarily necessary to always purchase new).

Good luck,:)

Nick

OP
macuros
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To update, I was working a bit more for my work these days and didn't want to reboot the Macbook (trying to use it as my iMac earlier), but I am getting memory pressure hits:

SCR-20230923-lxyt.png

The CPU is also more dynamic:

SCR-20230923-lyaj.png

All fine, but I am starting to see some lags. Using a few tabs in Safari and Firefox, Forklift, terminal, and a few other apps, multitasking...

I know it would be better after the reboot, but something else comes to my mind now :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I know when the Apple Silicon Mac's first came out a few years ago...I watched a bunch of You Tube videos where the reviewer's would stress-test various models...with the main subject of the video's being "Is 8GB of RAM Enough?".

At this time 2020/2021...with Intel based Apple computers...16GB of RAM was more & more becoming the recommended amount of RAM to have. Not just due to workloads/computing task becoming more demanding...but also due to the fact that RAM was non-upgradeable...and best to get more than someone thinks they may need.

Most of the You Tube reviewers came to the conclusion that Apple Silicon Mac's did a better job with RAM utilization...and that Apple Silicon Mac's (compared to a similarly RAM spec'd Apple Intel based unit)...were more capable.

Thus the You Tube reviewers said that 8GB of RAM for an Apple silicon Mac was perfectly fine for most users doing "normal" everyday tasks...they were also good for folks that dabbled with photo & video editing...and fine for folks that may do a little more that just dabble (maybe more moderate photo & video editing).

When it came to more "serious" photo & video editing (maybe we're talking enthusiastic amateurs & professional folks that make their living doing photo & video editing)...when put thru their paces with more complex projects...the Apple Silicon Mac's did start to see some lagging, skipping, etc. when pushed with longer more complex video & photo projects. For the more "serious/professional" users...this is where 16GB RAM was recommended.

I don't seem to remember anything regarding Memory Pressure being mentioned...but very possible Memory Pressure was outside the green.

HTH,

Nick

Reaction score
...Thus the You Tube reviewers said that 8GB of RAM for an Apple silicon Mac was perfectly fine for most users doing "normal" everyday tasks...they were also good for folks that dabbled with photo & video editing...and fine for folks that may do a little more that just dabble (maybe more moderate photo & video editing).

When it came to more "serious" photo & video editing (maybe we're talking enthusiastic amateurs & professional folks that make their living doing photo & video editing)...when put thru their paces with more complex projects...the Apple Silicon Mac's did start to see some lagging, skipping, etc. when pushed with longer more complex video & photo projects. For the more "serious/professional" users...this is where 16GB RAM was recommended....

8GB vs 16GB M1 MacBook Pro - How much RAM do you NEED?!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PP1_4wek4nI/
The reviewer didn't think that it was worth upgrading from 8GB to 16GB unless you are a professional photographer editing huge RAW images.

Opinion: Is the base MacBook Air M1/8GB powerful enough for you?
https://9to5mac.com/2020/11/18/opinion-is-the-base-macbook-air-m1-8gb-powerful-enough-for-you/
"I think the clear answer is that, for the vast majority of people, even for those who lean on the “professional” side of laptop multitasking with several apps and a dozen browser tabs and multiple types of media playing at the same time, the base models of these computers with 8GB of RAM are going to be enough. Not only are they enough — it’s seriously difficult to get them to slow down."

OP
macuros
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Update:

So I finally decided to buy a Mac Mini M2. I was sure to buy the base model, but I have found a good deal (120 EUR more) for the 8/512 version.

I am already using MBA M2 8/256 and I am sure I don't need more RAM. I just use swap.

With 512 storage model I think this is going to be even better. This SSD is even faster than the 256 model. So, happy swapping 😀

I'll update this thread with some more info when I get it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Update:

So I finally decided to buy a Mac Mini M2. I was sure to buy the base model, but I have found a good deal (120 EUR more) for the 8/512 version.

I am already using MBA M2 8/256 and I am sure I don't need more RAM. I just use swap.

You might be interested in one of Apple's very recent articles and be thankful you saved spending some money on extra memory which they say you probably do not need with such Mac models:
Apple insists 8GB unified memory equals 16GB regular RAM
Facing renewed criticism that it provides too little RAM in its iMac and MacBooks, Apple has doubled down on how Apple Silicon uses memory so much more efficiently.

- Patrick
=======

OP
macuros
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Woohoo :) I can hardly wait.

OP
macuros
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gary nailed it again. Watch at least the last chapter:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini M1 (8gb Memory / 500 gb Hard drive) Running Sonoma 14.0

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.