Mac Mini flickering distorted image

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I replied to the OP that I didn't believe it was the GPU and IGGI agrees with me. Some shop owners who have little or no experience working on Macs will tell the owner that it's the motherboard which is bad. Granted, his Mini is over 8 years old and probably should be replaced anyway but considering he's been using his TV as a monitor, it's very likely the connector itself is bad. I've never run into a Mac with integrated Intel graphics that the graphics chipset was bad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I replied to the OP that I didn't believe it was the GPU and IGGI agrees with me.
... ... ...
it's very likely the connector itself is bad.

That would be very nice if the fix was as simple as replacing or changing the connector and/or cable.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not an easy fix if the connector is bad. The entire logic board would have to be replaced as the female portion of the connector is part of the board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini. July 2012
Looking around the internet, it seems this was a common problem with this model, especially the AMD chip model. I don’t see any solutions to it out there either. So you may be out of luck.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Retina 3.0 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3/Mac Mini 2.3GHz Intel i7 Quad Core 16RAM
This is interesting. I've had my mini do this on several occasions, but it doesn't flicker it just turns pink. Super annoying! Reading through to see if you figured out what caused it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini. July 2012
Yes, mine does that now and then. Turn off the monitor, unplug it, plug it back in and turn on. Usually fixes it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.