Mac Mini flickering distorted image

Reaction score
I have a mac mini 2011 running 10.11.6. I have it plugged in to a 32" Inves TV via VGA. Its all been working fine and now suddenly the image is flickering and distorting whilst I work. Its hard to explain. It seems to do it whenever the mac is doing something. A program loading, or moving graphics in illustrator and every time I make a key press typing this. Does anybody know what this is and if it's possible to fix? Any urgent help would be appreciated as I work freelance and have a huge design job on at the moment :(

I have noticed when I reduce the underscan in display settings it stops, but I have to reduce it a lot to do it.

Thanks!

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 00.51.24.png

Screen Shot 2019-05-28 at 00.51.41.png

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you tried a new cable and adapter? Also, VGA does not provide a digital signal, just analog. Not the best to use.

OP
T
Reaction score
Have you tried a new cable and adapter? Also, VGA does not provide a digital signal, just analog. Not the best to use.
Not yet. I'll try my HDMI cable tomorrow but the image is horrible through that. I use thunderbolt to VGA and the image is perfect. I may have to buy another thunderbolt cable or adapter to try and see.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
HDMI should give you a more desirable signal than VGA. As a matter of fact, just about anything is better than VGA. Try another cable and adapter and let us know.

OP
T
Reaction score
Unfortunately I can't try another adapter and cable so quickly. Is there anything else I could try until I buy one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini. July 2012
Can you change the display from 60hz to 50hz. Or the other way round.

Sent from my iPad using Mac-Forums

OP
T
Reaction score
I don't have the option to change to 50/60hz. Just the choice of two resolutions. It's the same on both.

I've tried a hd cable and the Apple logo came up but the screen and a yellow tint and vertical lines all the way across. And after the logo it my TV just says unsupported. Anything else I can try? Thanks

OP
T
Reaction score
I've tried booting in to safe mode and PRAM reset. Nothing changed. Changing the cable isn't an option for a few days unfortunately :(

OP
T
Reaction score
I've tried it on our main TV with a hd cable and it's the same with the screen flickering all over. So I guess that rules out cables. Is there anything I can do to get it working again?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini. July 2012
It’s beginning to look like your video output is on the fritz. And being a mini, unless it’s still under warranty you can’t repair it. There’s no actual video card.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I doubt it's the graphic card since that's integrated to the logic board. And I've never heard of a Mini with that type of problem with graphics. The flickering indicates either a loose connection or bad connection.

@tiger-kai:

Which Mini do you have? Model and year? I'd like to look it up on ifixit.com to see about the graphics and output connectors.

OP
T
Reaction score
Hi, it's Mac mini mid 2011..... I can't remember the rest of the details off by heart and I've taken it to the local shop to have a look at. He suspects it's the motherboard.... So basically buy another. :(

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just looked up your model Mini. According to Mactracker, it has one HDMI output port which will support one display. There are actually two different models that year, one with Intel HD graphics and the other with AMD graphics. Both are integrated to the Logic board (motherboard).

It would be a shame to have to buy another Mini if it's just the output connector that's bad. But I suspect in order to change the connector, the entire board would have to be replaced. Your Mini is going on 8 years old so it may be time to replace it anyway. Good luck with it and let us know how it turns out.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. It's the Intel version. I've used the hdmi out and the DVI out and they both had the same results.
Anyway, went to the shop and he said it's the graphics chip that's burnt out so it needs replacing and due to the cost, it's not worth it as he said its not always success ful and will probably go again.not had much luck with my last few Mac's.... Might change to PCs

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm surprised to hear that it's the graphics chip. I've never seen another Mini with that problem. Anyway, regardless of what the cause is, your Mini has served you for 8 years. Time to move on to something else. If you do choose a PC, make sure you get something that will last. I recommend Dell or Lenovo and stay away from anything built by Microsoft (Surface computers). Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini. July 2012
I doubt it's the graphic card since that's integrated to the logic board. And I've never heard of a Mini with that type of problem with graphics. The flickering indicates either a loose connection or bad connection.

@tiger-kai:

Which Mini do you have? Model and year? I'd like to look it up on ifixit.com to see about the graphics and output connectors.

Yep... like I said.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac-Forums

OP
T
Reaction score
Well I was using it every day lately and I use massive Photoshop and illustrator files. I know it's not really built for that sort of thing but I was moving countries at the time and needed something small for whenni move. Ive always used iMac's. I'm not sure what to buy next. I need something good for graphics work and that will last long. I think I need a laptop this time. I'm not sure how good the Mac books are for that sort of thing. My biggest problem now is having to subscribe to creative cloud since I can't really install cs6 now and it's getting a bit old now.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice everyone :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I have an extremely hard time believing your GPU is "burnt". And I will straight up say that person who said so is an idiot.
In fact, I'd bet $100 that it's not burnt for 3 simple reasons:

1. Apple computers are notorious for being super picky with video cable adapters, especially when dealing with multiple monitors, active/passive adapters, scanning, and going from digital to analog.
2. Your Mac Mini generation is known for having flickering issues due to the way the software processes video and audio.
3. A "burnt" GPU doesn't match up with symptoms of random flickering. A burnt GPU usually is caused excessive power/voltage, and once it "burns", it's dead. You CAN'T have a burnt GPU while it's still working. It's an oxymoron. That's what a burned GPU is synonymous for, not a random flickering that occurs once in a while. Run away from that store before they open it up and actually burn the GPU themselves!

I've had PLENTY of trials and errors getting 3x1080p and a 4k TV running perfectly with my MacPro, as well as 2 other Mac Pros. I've gone through 20+ passive/active video adapters. Quality active adapters solved all my problems! I've taken apart adapters bought from Amazon, and though they have different plastic shells, they all have the same junk chips.

Every now and then, your computer will be processing more video/audio than can be put out over your video cable. This causes the screen to "flicker" or go black for random durations.
Most common video adapters are passive adapters. They are common because they are the cheapest.
All passive video adapters do is receive and PASS signals onto the next connection that is made, regardless if there is an issue with too much data passing over the cable.
Active adapters are usually something people never know about, and they cost more. When using active adapters, the adapter itself will accept the data handed off by the computer, and process it into a stream of data that is then forwarded cleanly onto the end device- a TV for example. If it weren't for the ridiculous influx of Chinese made junk, these active adapters would always work like a dream, but most you find on Amazon are cheap junk because they all want to save a buck.

My suggestion would be to try an ACTIVE adapter. They are more expensive, but you can find them at Best Buy, Apple, Micro Center, and etc. Trust me when I say this, buy only from a reputable supplier in person! And if it doesn't work, it's an easy return.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
My suggestion would be to try an ACTIVE adapter. They are more expensive, but you can find them at Best Buy, Apple, Micro Center, and etc. Trust me when I say this, buy only from a reputable supplier in person! And if it doesn't work, it's an easy return.

+1.
I would tend to agree, even though I do not have much experience with the Mac Mini, nor it's often handicapped video that Apple seems to employ.
It's certainly worth a try and won't cost that much compared to a new Mac if it does work.

Sort of reminds me of the days of the video adapters with dip switches we had to use, and even with those, often the cheap knockoffs would not work, but the more expensive Sony adapters always did. Even though I'm not a fan of Sony!!!

Have a browse through these:
What’s the Difference Between Passive and Active DisplayPort Adapters?
What’s the Difference Between Passive and Active DisplayPort Adapters? | Tripp Lite Blog
and
Passive Adapter vs. Active Adapter, that is the question
Passive Adapter vs. Active Adapter, that is the question

Actually, and to be honest, I probably would not have thought of using an active adapter until iggibar mentioned it. And I'm assuming Apple supports them fully with their older Mini models and their graphics configurations.

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.