Mac Mini expansion drive options after usb ports are full?

Reaction score
Background. I use my Mac Mini as a Plex Movie server. I am about to use my last usb port for an external drive.

So what options do i have?

I have heard about thunderbolt enclosures that can hold 4 or more drives. Will they show up as 4 separate drives or one large drive? I don't want raid, i can manage separate drives. If i need to add more can i daisy chain these?

I don't want to spend a huge amount of money so what would i be looking for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Best option would be to add a powered USB Hub. Firewire or Thunderbolt can be daisy chained, but not USB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Better is subjective. I went with your last line comment "I don't want to spend a huge amount of money so what would i be looking for?".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 MacBook Pro, 15", i9, 32GB RAM, Monterey
Better is subjective. I went with your last line comment "I don't want to spend a huge amount of money so what would i be looking for?".
And powered usb hubs can be amazingly inexpensive. You can find some of them on Amazon for about $15-$30.

You might also check on the back of your monitor as some have additional usb 3 connections. My Dell 24" ultrasharp has one that I use from time to time as I am almost out of usb 3 ports on my Mini.

OP
J
Reaction score
And powered usb hubs can be amazingly inexpensive. You can find some of them on Amazon for about $15-$30.

You might also check on the back of your monitor as some have additional usb 3 connections. My Dell 24" ultrasharp has one that I use from time to time as I am almost out of usb 3 ports on my Mini.

my mac mini is headless.. i log in remotely...

i did find a 10port hub for $40 that got great reviews. I will keep researching

Reaction score
I just got a Sabrent 7 port powered hub when my mac-mini was reporting "a usb device is drawing too much power and will be turned off" even with tiny flash drives. Got hub with switches and can run 1 TB usb hard drive ,USB flash drives ( and boot from one), External CD/DVD burner along with my keyboard , mouse and USB fan. They all work fine so far; I switch on the ones I want to use. Not sure how many will work at one time, but no problem so far.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.