Mac help

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
M
Reaction score
I just formatted another hard drive. 320gb 2.5" sata to mac os x extended journaled, but still no luck.

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Are you sure the old drive was bad and not the HD controller!

OP
M
Reaction score
Ok. I didn't want to admit this, but I did something stupid.

I was dual booting windows 7, and mac os x on the mac, and acidently formatted both partitions to ntfs for windows. Now its formatted back to mac, but the mac won't see it. I can feel the hard drive spinning up so not sure if the controller would be bad. I even hooked it up externally, and still didn't see it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The Mac should be able to see that drive now. Is it still partitioned into two parts. If so try formatting the drive to one partition temporarily. You can always create the second partition later.

The fact that the other Mac can see the drive and this one can't is somewhat disturbing though. I would double check the data cable connections.

@Razormac, I am not sure but couldn't the drive still spin up if the controller were starting to fail?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
The Mac should be able to see that drive now. Is it still partitioned into two parts. If so try formatting the drive to one partition temporarily. You can always create the second partition later.

The fact that the other Mac can see the drive and this one can't is somewhat disturbing though. I would double check the data cable connections.

@Razormac, I am not sure but couldn't the drive still spin up if the controller were starting to fail?

I'm just at a loss as to why Disk Utility would fail to see two different drives unless there was something else going on.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What is this Hackentosh disk you speak of?

OP
M
Reaction score
Not sure I downloaded it online. Its supposed to be mac os x snow leopard which is a special version for windows computers. Anyway, it didn't work on the mac, but it did work on my windows computer.

I am running windows 7, but don't know how to get mac os x back on it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
So which OSX DVD are you trying to install on that drive? A Retail version of Snow Leopard? If this is a downloaded DVD, it will not work and is illegal to discuss here on the forums. Just asking.

OP
M
Reaction score
I don't use illegal software. It is a retail version of snow leopard.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Not sure I downloaded it online. Its supposed to be mac os x snow leopard which is a special version for windows computers. Anyway, it didn't work on the mac, but it did work on my windows computer.

I am running windows 7, but don't know how to get mac os x back on it.

There is no such thing as a legal "special version" for windows computers.
Any version of OS X prior to 10.7 that you "downloaded online" is a pirated/illegal copy.
You need to get yourself a legitimate retail copy of OS X.

This thread is now locked. There is no discussion pertaining to anything hackintosh permitted here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.