• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Mac-Forums' Bar & Grill II

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
5 1/4" ??? (the last true floppy)

Agreed! They were actually "floppy" vs. the rigid plastic case of the 3.5 "floppies".

The first 5 1/4 floppies I used held a whopping great 256KB. We loved 'em though. Two drives per machine. One held the entire OS on a single 256KB disk, the other held your working files. Ah, those were the days...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Gateway2000 P5-60. 66Mhz and 128 MB RAM.
Amazing how they could fit an entire OS on such a small disk (memory wise :) )
Granted it wasnt nearly as graphical.

Those disks cracked me up then and still do when I see them from time to time

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Studio, M1 Max, 32 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD
Guitar Hero

Over this past weekend, my kids introduced me to Guitar Hero III, Legends of Rock. What a GREAT game!! I had a real hoot playing it, even if I could never really progress off the "Easy" setting. Great music, a truly inventive controller and just a really fun concept. What a GREAT game!

...and I understand that there is a version for Macs now. I have to hunt that up... :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That game is a blast. I thought it was over rated until I played it. I'm addicted to the point where I dont want it for my 360. Ill never get off. Medium is as high as I can go.

On a side note my car just arrived in Hawaii today
(after 3 weeks). Hooray!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Excuse me for being dumb, but what is Hiatus?

Reaction score
I'm eating popcorn...again.
Sure, that might be dinner cooking in the crock pot, but that's not for a couple more hours, and I never get full.
I haven't slept in 32 hours now, I stayed up all night doing homework (which I did wrong), studying for exams next week, brainstormed ideas for my sister on how to get her dog back. Not to mention that parade yesterday.

It's the end of my freshman year, and i've worked HARD.
If I want some popcorn, the world WILL stand back while I get my popcorn.

LOL.

Oh, and funny thing...while I was waiting for my popcorn to cook I stepped on the scale.
I've now OFFICIALLY hit 40lbs lost.
150 now.
Before when I was saying 40lbs it was really like 38.
Yay for me.

I don't really even eat that healthy...well, sorta. I just don't eat as much as I used to. I'm on the go a lot more too.

I'm proud of myself. It's SO worth it.
40lbs in a year doesn't sound like much, but when it comes to losing weight, slow and steady usually DOES win the race.

I didn't want to be the fat big brother. I didn't want to be the overweight babysitter taking a break from riding bikes. I don't want to be the fat dad who doesn't have the energy to be with his kids.
I don't want to be the fat guy with high blood pressure and diabetes.
And i'm NOT going to be that guy. I'm NOT going to be that dad, that babysitter, and that brother.
It's been a great battle of blood, sweat, and tears. I look forward to fighting it for the rest of my life, because Pepsi and McDonalds are NOT going to win. We love you Ronald, but you're killing us. Please go away.

My outer energy now matches my inner energy, so look out world!

Last edited:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Uh oh, are we about to start an "old fart" war? :D

Listen here yung fella... I was programming in FORTRAN on punch cards before keyboards were even in common use!

Much as I hate to admit it, this is a true story.

Even worse, I have also booted Data General computers by toggling in a boot loader on front panel switches. Said boot loader, once running, would then read in a paper tape second stage loader. THEN you could boot the hard disk, which was physically enormous, but only about 500 KB.

OK, let the parade of computing senior citizens begin - who can "beat" those two stories? :D

Man, just when I thought I went far back with my Commodore Vic 20, 64 and Atari 400! :D

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Agreed! They were actually "floppy" vs. the rigid plastic case of the 3.5 "floppies".

The first 5 1/4 floppies I used held a whopping great 256KB. We loved 'em though. Two drives per machine. One held the entire OS on a single 256KB disk, the other held your working files. Ah, those were the days...

You might remember the humble Commodore 64 had a 170K single sided, single density disk drive. I can recall removing, flipping and replacing the disk in order to finish loading Gauntlet on the C64 - and that wasn't just during initial load. You'd have to periodically flip it throughout the game or swap disks. I can also remember having to occasionally disassemble said drive to "realign" the heads. The 1541 in particular had an issue where once it got warmed up to operating temperature, it would become slightly misaligned and wouldn't read very well.

Do you remember using a notch punch with 5 1/4" disks? I can't remember the precise function, but I recall that some 5 1/4" disks didn't have notches on both sides and it inhibited functionality in some way.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
CWA, I still have my notch punch! Bought it online at a early BBS type Online store for maybe $10 at 1200Baud! I notched all my 5.25" Floppies for my C64. That way you could write on both sides!! :D

I was so poor at that time I could not afford an RS232 cable for the new Avatex 1200 Baud external, so I went to Radio Shack, got the ends and used some cable I had at home and made my own cable! Worked like a Champ!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15". 2.4GHz. - 2GB RAM. - 60GB HD@7200 rpm.
Wow - and I thought dirt was old ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4 GHz C2D
Good for you, Tanner, losing that weight. Lots easier to do when you're young. When I was your age, I had no problem staying thin, could eat whetever I wanted. Now that I'm nearly three times your age :Grimmace:, it's not so easy for me. Put in a lot of hard work to lose 20 lbs. last year, but now I've managed to put about half of it back on. So it's back on the exercise and watching what I eat plan. I try not to say "diet," just trying to make better food choices.

eric

Retired Staff
Reaction score
5 inch disks... pfft.

i found some old 10" floppies in storage at my data center a few years back. :)

and thanks to you old farts i had a heck of a time about 8-9 years ago helping my company deal with that whole y2k madness. thanks. thanks a bunch...

;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Y2K?!?!? PANIC!! Buy supplies! Get all the money out of your account. Drive off a cliff! The world is doomed :p

Reaction score
LOL @ y2k

It's been a while since I posted here. Hope everyone is doing well. I've been really busy lately so I haven't had time to post. What's new? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
 15" 2.4 MBP  iPod Classic 80 GB, Silver
Mac-Forums Bar & Grill II

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.