Mac Desktop no longer accessible after Windows 10 update

Reaction score
I'm running a Mac Air with oxOS 10.12 and Parallels 11. After Microsoft installed the last update to Windows 10 I no longer have access to the Mac Desktop or anything else on the Mac platform. Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Yep. Abandoned Windows.

For starters reboot and hold down Option immediately after the chime and see if there is still an OS X partition.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm running a Mac Air with oxOS 10.12 and Parallels 11. After Microsoft installed the last update to Windows 10 I no longer have access to the Mac Desktop or anything else on the Mac platform. Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this?

What have you tried? How about quitting the virtual machine (turning off Parallels)? I find it difficult to believe that a Windows 10 update when running a virtual machine could deny access to Mac OS X. There's obviously something else going on which is why we need to know what you've done. If all else fails, reboot and you should be able to boot directly to OS X.

Unless.... instead of a virtual machine of Windows 10, you were actually booted to Windows 10 using Boot Camp? Then I can believe that an update to Windows 10 may have gone haywire and killed OS X.

Reaction score
do as harryb proposes. if there is a os partition in the start menu, start in it, when started open SystemPreferences->Startup disk and set the OS partition to startup disk.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.