• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Mac App Store hastens Apple's plans to cease boxed software sales - rumour

Reaction score
The can burn the app to media and for a modest postage fee send it to you. That would not be for too many people as most would just download it from the App store.

Yeah that too :) Well, sure many would download them :) But for example to download something (like was already said earlier) like Logic or Final Cut Studio that number in the 30GB+ range if taken from a dvd, would be impossible for people on something like Wild Blue... (7GB monthly limit when we had them!! -.- ) or any other ISP that has terribly slow speeds or a limit. I know those programs are extremes and probably not sold in large enough numbers to matter much, most are much smaller... I'm just trying to say I think there will always be a need for some type of physical media :) Be it burnt discs or flash drives sent to you, or a box with dvds inside. I hope they don't ever lose sight of that with the app store.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.5, 6gb ram, 500gb hard drive. 2010 13" MacBook Air 1.86 C2D, 4gb ram, 128gb HD.
Well the Apple stores would have a net connection. And I'm sure you could download it instore and they'd burn it to an Apple branded disc or USB stick. That's saving in packaging and freight costs.

This would be ideal IMO. Like my macbook air that came with a thumb drive that contains all the re-install software.

I'm also in the mindset that I'd hate to have to sit around waiting for a large file to download for installation.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 8-core mac pro. 4GB RAM 1.5TB storage. Dual LCDs (one IPS monitor for the colour).
Well the Apple stores would have a net connection. And I'm sure you could download it instore and they'd burn it to an Apple branded disc or USB stick. That's saving in packaging and freight costs.

I haven't seen a USB stick that costs less than a CD, yet.

Looks like Apple's going the way of Steam. It has its good and bad points.

OP
the8thark
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I haven't seen a USB stick that costs less than a CD, yet.

Yes. But when you are talking Final Cut Pro or something just as large. It's a 30 GB USB stick or quite a few DVDs. And yeah with the sticks coming down in price all the time, I think soon the stick might be the cheaper option there.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
I like the idea of USB sticks and I reckon that's where we'll end up soon enough. MBA install USB's just an example of that.

I can never imagine installing my CS5 Master Suite from a download on the App Store. I could probably imagine a single programme such as Photoshop, but suites and bundles I think will stay on a physical medium. Plus I quite like having the boxes on my shelves.

I guess another thing to consider is that, with the possibility of less and less physical software distribution, the second hand market will dry up pretty quickly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I can never imagine installing my CS5 Master Suite from a download on the App Store. I could probably imagine a single programme such as Photoshop, but suites and bundles I think will stay on a physical medium. Plus I quite like having the boxes on my shelves.

Why?
Even Adobe sells their full suites as downloads on their website. No disc, no packaging, nothing. If you think about, in a way the Mac App Store is just bringing all those different website downloads into one convenient location with search functions and ratings/reviews.
Of course, as already mentioned, the true convenience depends on your internet connection/speed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Why?
Even Adobe sells their full suites as downloads on their website. No disc, no packaging, nothing. If you think about, in a way the Mac App Store is just bringing all those different website downloads into one convenient location with search functions and ratings/reviews.
Of course, as already mentioned, the true convenience depends on your internet connection/speed.

Key word connection/speed and providers greed with caps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
That's what I meant in relation to why I personally couldn't do it...until Virgin Media come along and replace this horrible BT line with some fiber optics.

I should be running an 8MB connection but my speed is more like 3.5MB on a good day. Cheeky BT and there vintage wiring!

Reaction score
Demand Software on Physical Media!

Demand Apple Software on Physical Media!

People, this is all about control.
Having software available by download is fine, as long as it is IN ADDITION to buying PHYSICAL media. If I buy something, I want to HAVE it. If Apple only has software by download, you don’t have anything yourself. Your are locking your computer to Apple that way. This gives Apple WAY too much control over something I own. Now, if Apple makes the downloaded software a burnable .dmg file, and we can burn the full software to a DVD, then fine. But, it will still be restricting and forcing customers to use Apple’s App store exclusively. That is just downright “Big Brother” thinking.
I have always been a huge Apple computer user, but if they try this restrictive nonsense, I'll switch to Linux and open source, and sell every Apple product I own!
I'm ready to purchase (upgrade a couple) of macs right now, but I'm waiting for this whole Software issue to be clear first. Like I said, if they insist on this download only software, with no way of having it on physical media, I will NOT purchase any more macs!
We all have to stick together on this issue!

*(We own 3 Macbook Pros, a 24" iMac, iPhone 3GS, Airport Extreme, iBook G4, Powerbook G4)

reply | report this comment

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
Demand Apple Software on Physical Media!

People, this is all about control.
Having software available by download is fine, as long as it is IN ADDITION to buying PHYSICAL media. If I buy something, I want to HAVE it. If Apple only has software by download, you don’t have anything yourself. Your are locking your computer to Apple that way. This gives Apple WAY too much control over something I own. Now, if Apple makes the downloaded software a burnable .dmg file, and we can burn the full software to a DVD, then fine. But, it will still be restricting and forcing customers to use Apple’s App store exclusively. That is just downright “Big Brother” thinking.
I have always been a huge Apple computer user, but if they try this restrictive nonsense, I'll switch to Linux and open source, and sell every Apple product I own!
I'm ready to purchase (upgrade a couple) of macs right now, but I'm waiting for this whole Software issue to be clear first. Like I said, if they insist on this download only software, with no way of having it on physical media, I will NOT purchase any more macs!
We all have to stick together on this issue!

*(We own 3 Macbook Pros, a 24" iMac, iPhone 3GS, Airport Extreme, iBook G4, Powerbook G4)

reply | report this comment

Geez. Take a deep breath, it will all be ok. ;) Every large company eventually migrates towards some level of 'Big brother' method of operation - as they continue to protect and grow their turf. Small companies would and they do try - but a. they really can't as they're just desperate to play and b. their footprint is so small we don't notice.

If you were really upset over the principle you cite - then you would have already left Apple because the switching to a download IMO doesn't really give them more or less control than what's already in place. How is your computer not already 'locked' to Apple - as you put it? The corporation will always be corporate - true for whichever company can get away with it. There are a lot of people that will struggle with this concept of download only - let's wait until the real distro comes out before getting apoplectic - especially when, as I said, I don't see this really heightening in any way the operational principle that you seem so put out over. It's already there to a degree. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
What would be cool is if stores such as Walmart, Target, Video game shops etc etc.. had download kiosks, so all you had to do was bring an USB key and then interact with a system that gave you an unique user name and password created on the spot, just for that session. The kiosk could also supply the usb key as part of the cost of the software as an option.

Then, when you get home you sign in to the App Store and enter in the unique serial number found in the actual download, and that would activate everything, and keep your credentials in their cloud etc.

I think I should pitch this ... could make some $:p

Doug

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Interesting idea Doug. I can see Apple switching entirely to downloads for its software. There will probably be an intermediate step where you can get the physical media for an additional fee.

How quickly this will happen is probably dependent upon how successful the Lion download/release process works. My bet is within the next two to five years physical media will be almost a thing of the past as far as Apple is concerned.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
Angry.

FWIW, I could care less about physical media, so don't assume everyone feels the same way.

Enjoy your switch to Linux. ;)

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Believe I have over 150 apps currently on my primary Mac and around 20 on my primary Win 7 box - not counting the OS and apps included with the OS.

Out of those 170 or so apps I have purchased, over the last 4+ years, the following were purchased via physical media. And as I say, not counting OSs.

Aperture 2 - did buy Aperture 3 through download.
iLife '08
iWork '08
Punch - Home & Landscape Design - for the Mac

That's the sum total.

Not a single app running on my Win 7 box was purchased on physical media unless it was packaged with a piece of hardware. And I never use those packaged discs anyway. I always go download the latest driver/software for hardware purchases.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Physical media can be handy in a lot of situations, but overall I love the App Store. I Back up the installer and if anything happens I can quickly reinstall it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 2.66 GHz Core i7 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Seems like Apple would like to sway customers more towards the Mac App Store being that it cuts their costs on distribution and the app store provides more easily accessible apps to the majority.

I don't see Apple eliminating boxed software, especially internationally being that bandwidth caps are more prevalent. I'd imagine at the Apple Stores they'd not stock the software, but recommend purchasing directly from the website or the Mac App Store and have customers decide for themselves, which options is best for them.

As for Mac OS X distribution, they'll continue to use a boxed option, no doubt.

Well, some doubt considering they're now going sans box.

Question: They used to have a family boxed option so you could purchase it for multiple computers. I know that they now let you move it computer to computer via iCloud but will I have to buy it once for myself and then again for my fiancee on her computer with a different iTunes account? If so, that's pretty lame.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13' Macbook Pro mid 2010, OS X 10.6.7, Core 2 Duo, 4gb RAM, 250gb HDD
Like said before, I am not worried about the physical media at all, but, I want to download the software and be able to burn that to disc and do a fresh install on my mac!! since I paid for that software I want to have options on it!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I think the apple stores will have a software repository locally, much like OS X server downloads and stores software updates to prevent multiple downloads of the same software.

But that doesn't help if you are 2 hours or more from an Apple store, unless they allow the service to be rolled out to more local resellers, like the one in Windsor - nearest me

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
Well, some doubt considering they're now going sans box.

An easy assumption to make to an almost 5 month old post. :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.