M2 Mac Mini & Superdrive

Reaction score
I am not sure that I am in the correct section my apologies in advance.
Since upgrading from 27” iMac to M2 Mac Mini and Studio Display I have been unable to use the Apple Superdrive. I have used the USB socket at the rear I am unsure should it be inserted in another socket with a suitable adapter? There are many external CD drives and Burning software available.The choice is bewildering.
I cannot believe that I am the only one to have suffered with these difficulties with the Super Drive. Come on Tim Digitus extractus

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you use the superdrive previously with a different Mac?
When the drive is connected, do you put the Apple logo facing up? The Apple logo need to be face down.

What happens when you insert a disk?

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply. I have continually used the Superdrive with my iMac 27 inch dop.Feb 2017
Date of purchase M2 Mac Mini Oct 2023. Yes I inserted CD into Superdrive, logo face down. I’ve included a screen shot of the message. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 1714680008658.png
    1714680008658.png
    56.9 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I’ve included a screen shot of the message. Hope this helps.

I read that message has something being wrong with the media or the contents of the media rather than they're being any trouble or problem with the Apple USB Superdrive.

Have you tried several different CDs or DVDs, commercial or personally burned?

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Yes, as @pm-r (Patrick) said, I've seen that error as well when there was a scratch/smudge on a disk making it unreadable. Is this a commercial CD or a home made one?

Does any part of the disk get read/played/ripped?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16” M1max 32/1tb and bunch of other mac/apple stuff
Im not sure if this is relevant, but I know that in my OWC tb dock, the superdrive doesn't work on the regular 'a' usb ports, only the one labeled 'high powered'. (it also worked on a usb c with an adapter)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Is that the only track with issues? Is that the only disk with issues? If yes to either, the issue is NOT the drive, but the disk itself.

OP
A
Reaction score
Many thanks once again for all your replies. I have just tested CDs Commercial and home made compilation. All have the same Error message on M2 Mac Mini and frustratingly CDs played on MacBook Pro Late 2013 with no difficulties grrrr !!! The speakers on the M2 are far superior to those on MBP.
I am at a loss as to a solution.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The speakers on the M2 are far superior to those on MBP.

Have you called Apple support to see if they know why one of their new Mac models won't play a CD that a 2010 MacBook can manage?

Would it be possible to use the DVD CD drive sharing to play the disc in the MacBook but listen to it on your M2?

Maybe time to replace the expensive Apple Superdrive with a cheap third-party unit that possibly will just work.

I guess you've checked apples web page to double-check how to connect that superdrive to your new Mac:

Unfortunately, I didn't see any link to any specific superdrive problem-solving when it just doesn't work and it seems you are not alone with the problem with a quick Google search.

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Maybe time to replace the expensive Apple Superdrive with a cheap third-party unit that possibly will just work.

I agree, Patrick.

There's also the question of adapters as listed in the article to which you linked. Maybe, trying one or more of them would solve the problem?? They aren't particularly expensive.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Many thanks once again for all your replies. I have just tested CDs Commercial and home made compilation. All have the same Error message on M2 Mac Mini and frustratingly CDs played on MacBook Pro Late 2013 with no difficulties grrrr !!! The speakers on the M2 are far superior to those on MBP.
Sorry for the problem - just to checkout a M2 computer - I've been able to plug my 12 y/o SuperDrive (using a USB-A to C adapter as shown below) into my M2 MBAir and reads CDs fine; so not sure why your drive isn't working with a M2 Mini? Dave

M2AirSDrive.JPG

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There's also the question of adapters as listed in the article to which you linked.

Many third-party non-apple external USB optical drives also often come with various adapters included, all for less money than what Apple charges for their so-called working cables and adapters.

- Patrick
=======

OP
A
Reaction score
Thank you all once again. I have an LG external optical drive which I have just tried and all to no avail I am afraid. My next move contact Apple support and see if they can come up with anything. I am indebted to you all for taking the time to read my query and offer help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.