M1 Pro MBP Charging Issue

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Morning all

I recently bought myself a 14" M1 Pro MBP and am absolutely over the moon with it. Bar one issue:

The MB is largely left plugged into its power adapter and left to be. I only occasionally unplug it to work somewhere else in the house or if I go out with it of course.

95% of the time it's fine, but then sometimes I get a message saying that my MB needs to be plugged into a power source (which it is), and on checking the battery is at 5%. I try unplugging and re-attaching the charging cable, change to USBC charging from MagSafe, unplug the power adapter itself but all to no avail - it won't begin charging.

The only solution I've found is to restart the MB, and when I do it's fine and starts charging again.

Anyone else come across this? Is it something to do with the way the charger works? This has happened twice in the time I've had it (3 weeks or so).

thanks, Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Not normal behavior. Do what @ferrar says, get Apple to fix/replace it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I have a 14" M1 mac MBP and yes, contact Apple. I have never had a charging issue.

Lisa

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
thanks everyone. just got off the phone and they suggest seeing if it happens in safe mode before going any further. so I shall :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
thanks everyone. just got off the phone and they suggest seeing if it happens in safe mode before going any further. so I shall :)

I wonder if they will get you to go through all the various procedures that some of these sites suggest...???

Personally, I would tend to suggest you go with Jake's suggestion... ;)
but I am a bit surprised that they didn't get you to do an SMC reset...

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I wonder since he states he restarts the MBP, is he shutting it down so it does a complete restart? If so, isn't that doing an SMC reset since it is an M1? And if that is so then why would the SMC need resetting so often just to get it to charge?

Lisa

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lisa, you are correct. A full power off, wait a few seconds, then power on again resets the SMC in Mx systems.

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I wonder since he states he restarts the MBP, is he shutting it down so it does a complete restart? If so, isn't that doing an SMC reset since it is an M1? And if that is so then why would the SMC need resetting so often just to get it to charge?

Lisa
nope - just restarts Lisa not a full shut down.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So, try a full power off, wait a few seconds (maybe 10) and then power on normally. That resets the SMC on Mx systems.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I too have a 14" M1 which like the other MBP's of this generation has optional charging Optimisation. Like my iPhone it claims to maximize your battery life by learning your habits and not charging over 80% until you need it.

I can't say that it effects my iPhone much, it usually charges to 100% any time I charge it, which is overnight, but I have noticed it on my MBP.
If I use it on battery till say 40% and plug it back in it to AC power it only charges to 80% and stays that way until I start using it again. I have come back after some hours to notice the orange light still active on the MagLock connector.

As mentioned this is optional but appears to be active by default. See; Sys Prefs > Battery > Battery

So the charging software is a little more complicated on the M1 and if it isn't working as intended, then I agree fully with the above comments, take it back while you still have Apple Care.

Lastly, do make sure you perform a backup using Time Machine before returning it to Apple for repair. You may, as I was once, be offered a new one. My 3 month old 2015 MBP had been taken to Apple Service Center twice for a recurring keyboard problem and on the third time they said, we can replace all of the circuitry or just give you a new device. I happily accepted the latter and had no further problems. I did have a full backup but it would have been a nuisance if I hadn't.

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks Rod
Yes I noticed the new charging app thingy :). handy for me as the MB is plugged in most of the time.

I'm going to try the safe re-boot and SMC reset first before going back to the store with it.

I was lucky with this as they had ONE machine in stock, and don't fancy having to wait around for a replacement if I can avoid it.

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just wanted to report back that since the safe re-boot and SMC reset 2 months ago, there have been no further issues with either charging or battery running down while plugged in.

phew :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I just wanted to report back that since the safe re-boot and SMC reset 2 months ago, there have been no further issues with either charging or battery running down while plugged in.

phew :)

That is good news, and a good recommended procedure for others to use if and when they have that or other similar problems.

Let's hope you can carry on problem-free for even much longer...

How is everything else in Swansea - South Wales???

An interesting looking place according to the photos at Google Maps.

- Patrick
=======

OP
nickyr
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Patrick
It's hot right now. Our second heatwave of the driest summer I can ever remember.
And yes, it's an interesting place - right on the coast with a lovely sandy beach, and a short drive into the beauty of the Brecon Beacons.
I'd struggle to live anywhere else :)

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Thanks for the follow up, glad the problem has resolved.👍🏼

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.