Lost charge overnight

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
This morning, I attempted to switch my MacBook Pro on, but it didn't start up or show any signs of life. It wasn't until I plugged the power adapter in that it started working, and when booted into Leopard, it showed as 0% charge.

This is strange because it was fully charged last night at 100%, and I'm sure there are no applications or anything set to start it up.

This has never happened before. Does anybody have any idea why this would have happened? I checked my battery against the recall list but it is not on there. It is a 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa MacBook Pro, purchased in September 2007.

It seems to be charging fine at the moment, currently 23% charge with 2:05 to go (health is 74% with 82 cycles).

Thanks in advance.

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, but I have already checked and the update is for computers purchased between February 2006 and April 2007, and the battery recall until May 2007. I purchased in September 2007.

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I tried calibrating the battery, it is now showing as 85% health, and seemed to hold it's charge last night.

Hopefully it will continue to work fine.

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK, maybe not.

This morning, I needed to plug the mains in again for it to start up, it showed 0% charge, and health was 70%.

It was fully charged last night at 100%.

The battery does not appear to be warped or bulging or anything. There is just one light blinking on it.

I'm going to see if this repeats and if so, I will contact Apple.

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have been away for a week so have not had a chance to use my MBP much, but I have now noticed that when running on battery power, when the power level drops below 60% or so, it just totally dies as if there is no power, and refuses to start up until I plug in the mains.

Health = 82%
Cycles = 87

As there are no Apple retail stores nearby my university halls, I am going to wait until after my exams when I go home (6th June) and then take it into an Apple store and see what they can do.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have been away for a week so have not had a chance to use my MBP much, but I have now noticed that when running on battery power, when the power level drops below 60% or so, it just totally dies as if there is no power, and refuses to start up until I plug in the mains.

Health = 82%
Cycles = 87

As there are no Apple retail stores nearby my university halls, I am going to wait until after my exams when I go home (6th June) and then take it into an Apple store and see what they can do.

I am having a similar issue with my iBook but it's a bit older. 2 years but not a lot of cycles. It always went down to 2-4% and then warned me and went to sleep. Then one day not long ago it happened at 10% and instant sleep. Now last time the other day it did it at 35%. I am going to try calibrating the battery one more time but feel it's starting to die.

Reaction score
Theres a chance the battery itself might be toast. I have seen this in the past.

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It always went down to 2-4% and then warned me and went to sleep. Then one day not long ago it happened at 10% and instant sleep.

Mine does not give a warning, it just powers off (it doesn't go to sleep).

Theres a chance the battery itself might be toast. I have seen this in the past.

Yep I'm suspecting there's something wrong with the battery, that's why I'm going to take it to the Apple store as soon as I get home next month.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Mine does not warn me anymore. Just powers off. IT DID warn me when the battery was good.

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just thought I'd update the thread, I took my MacBook Pro to an Apple Store, the Genius checked it out and gave me a brand new battery.

Everything seems to be fine now!

Reaction score
i had a very similar problem with my MBP battery, its average life was about 40 mins at times, even though the menu bar inidated it had at least an hour or so left...

I used an application called MinibatteryLogger which tracked the death of the battery while i was using it and then gave the nice people at apple a call...

The entire unit was luckily still in warrenty by 48 hours (perfect timing) and they sent me a brand new battery which has been working fine ever since...

Sorry to say, but judging on some of the reviews i read while looking into the matter at the time, the MBP's dont have a very good track record for battery life, quite a few articles i found indicated peoples batteries were reaching end of life less than 12 months after purchase, even when maintained like the guidelines say !

Only advice, if its within warrenty or u have applecare, call them, tell em the life is unacceptable and see if they will replace it, otherwise im afraid it might be a case of shelling out the cash for a new battery !

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My MacBook Pro is only 9 months old, but I did buy the 3 years AppleCare (only £58.75 for HE students) when purchasing because it was my first 'expensive' computer purchase which is to last me through (most of) my uni course.

If I was out of warranty, a new battery would have been £69.32.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.