Looks like I can finally ditch iTunes.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
This thread convinced me to download Songbird. I really want to prefer it. Esp. being Mozilla related. But so far it just seems to be the same animal in a different color spandex. I'm going to keep tinkering with it though, I'd love to toss iTunes.

What are you referring to when you say same animal different color spandex ? What specific things do you not like, or are having problems with ? It couldn't be any more simple, flexible, powerful or less like iTunes in every way shape and form.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 10.6.2 (2.4 Ghz) | Time Capsule 500GB
Oh, I'm not having any problems. I just meant I don't see any real difference. I agree its simple and flexible but just about in every way that iTunes is. I've yet to locate (and I want to) any difference in functionality. And as far as aesthetics go, see attached, different colored spandex.

I'm being silly. They look the same.

I admire your passion. Like I said I would love to replace iTunes.

One issue that didn't agree with me, when I imported I received a message "4 songs couldn't be imported". What ones? I have no idea. The Error Console isn't telling me anything. Though there seems to be something of a query language accepted (for looks?). I have longed for that in iTunes, but of course it is not SQL. I don't know Apple Script or X Code or if they are even capable of performing like SQL. But that is something that would certainly impress me.

Songbird.png

iTunes.png

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5
Oh, I'm not having any problems. I just meant I don't see any real difference. I agree its simple and flexible but just about in every way that iTunes is. I've yet to locate (and I want to) any difference in functionality.

One issue that didn't agree with me, when I imported I received a message "4 songs couldn't be imported". What ones? I have no idea. The Error Console isn't telling me anything. Though there seems to be something of a query language accepted (for looks?). I have longed for that in iTunes, but of course it is not SQL. I don't know Apple Script or X Code or if they are even capable of performing like SQL. But that is something that would certainly impress me.

Well listen, I'm not preaching to anyone here. If iTunes works well for you, then there's absolutely no reason to stop using it. But don't be fooled. iTunes is definitely not nearly as flexible or simple. In fact it mirrors Apple's tune of "my way of the highway" mentality. Let me try and explain how and where it differs from iTunes in really simple terms (not a slight at you.. just that if I try and go all deep with it, I'll lose my train of thought... short attention span and all.. )

I keep all of my music on an external HD. If you take a look at my last post on page one, you'll see exactly how my folders appear on that HD. What I wound up having to do in iTunes, was uncheck the options in the advanced tab in preferences. You know.. the keep organized and copy music check boxes ? Right. So..

With those options unchecked, I would have to either drag new folders into the playlist window to import, or select import from the main menu and choose the folder(s) I wanted.

Why not use the "Keep organized" and "copy to" options ? Simple. Because Every piece of music I own or have ripped is already in a very concise and logical order. iTunes does everything BUT keep them that way when using its zany method to import and consolidate etc..

What iTunes does, is re-create folders. Totally redundantly. But then you of course have to delete your originals when you're done. Insane. Why would anyone do this when they have thousands of files articulately divided to their specified liking ? Keeping music files and folders on an External Hd isn't just a means for playback. It's a means to back up that music as well.

I go with the method which allows me for future use, to not have to go crazy if or when something happens to my data. Everything will be in a very logical order for any logical media player out there. And IMO, iTunes is FAR from logical where sorting is concerned. This has been my experience in the past two years, and not one Mac "Guru" or "Genius" has been able to prove my methods to be wrong, nor have they been able to explain why the behavior displayed by iTunes is totally inconsistent with anyone who wants to make sure their files and folders stay in the same coherent order they placed them in, in the first place.

I don't have to go through any of this nonsense with SongBird. Here's one of the main and major differences. With SB, I simply tell it where my music is, and it queries that folder without the nuisance of extra folders and files to delete. No scattered anything. Just the songs, where I said they'd be. But the second part is just as important, and is tied to the first part:

Watched folders. I no longer have to manually import anything. Just how it should be. I drop any new song or folder into my main music folder and Songbird automatically sees this happening and adds the music to the database. Simple, yet a HUGE omission on the part of Apple.

There are other differences as well. iTunes never wants to read all of my file metadata correctly. It also chooses to see what it wants to see, thus altering the order in which the files are to be played. Most of the albums wind up playing in the wrong order and I have to manually add numbers to the beginning of albums in order to get them to list correctly. It's always a hassle and still is never %100 right.

These things are a nightmare to me. One of my best friend's who worked at an Apple store, and who has been an Apple guy since forever, has yet to try and explain why it behaves the way it does in my situation. He has no answer except for the obligatory : "Well it works fine for me, since those things don't bother me."

Yeah.. of course. Because you just do what iTunes tells you to do with no question. I personally don't work that way. Never have and never will. So iTunes just isn't for me. But this mentality just isn't understood by my friend, so he just gives me the ol' shrug and says "I dunno". Then we go eat some great pizza, have a lil' drink and listen to Radiohead on my Rega Turntable and it's all good.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz MacBook Pro
That's odd. If there's anything I can say about iTunes is that it was rock solid for me. Never one hesitation, freeze or crash. Just hated every aspect of how it managed my music.

As far as iTunes flipping out and trying to re arrange things, that's also odd. The two methods should have nothing to do with one another. Please tell me how you have things arranged. To the letter, please. SB never tries to do ANYTHING with my library. I don't use the "Managed mode". Do you ? And if so, is there a particular reason why ?

The way I have always kept my music is as such: (look at screen caps)

The first is obviously the root music folder which is on my External HD (I don't keep any music, movies or photos on my main external HD)

The second shot shows bands in alphabetized order in 5 letter sub sections and the third shot shows what's in the A-F folder (well, a portion of it)

So all SB does is look this folder over and add each artist, album and song EXACTLY as I have it within those folders. No more, no less. And of course everything has id3 tags, so metadata is attached.

Songbird nor iTunes should be doing anything like what you're saying. Doesn't happen when I open iTunes. I bet if you turn off two options in iTunes this will stop. Go to preferences>advanced and un-check "Keep iTunes Media Folder Organized" as well as "Copy files to iTunes media folder". (see last screen shot)

I can have both running at the same time with no interference at all.

Doug

All my music is on an external hard drive. When I add music to my library, I want my music software of choice to copy it to that directory on my hard drive. Both iTunes, and now Songbird, did that successfully. iTunes however, took at least 20x as long to perform that operation than did Songbird. Also, any time I double-clicked a song to play, there was at least a 2 second pause where iTunes would beachball before the song started playing. This would repeat itself every time iTunes would start to play the next song in an album or playlist. Completely unacceptable, as I'm sure you'd agree. Songbird has no such pauses or freezes, ever.

I do use managed mode in Songbird because I like the way it renames my music files in accordance to the track number and track name. It just keeps my library that much more organized, and if I ever decide to switch software again, at least the file names and file structure will be organized and easy to understand (that's if the music software reads ID3 tags differently than Singbird). However, because Songbird renames the music files, when I open iTunes it tries to find all those songs again (which effectively makes iTunes unresponsive, forcing me to force-quit it).

So in essence, the main reason I use Songbird is because of how slow and sluggish iTunes was behaving for me. I have no clue why; my library isn't that large (~65GB) and I have a relatively modern computer (2.2GHz MBP). The external USB hard drive should not be a bottleneck in any way. I do like the way Songbird manages my files, but that is not the main reason I use it. If software like Foobar2000 came out for OS X, I would consider switching to that because I do find Songbird to be relatively bloated; I have no need for a browser (or the various other features Songbird has) in my music player. However, as a simple music player, it works fantastically, and has the added bonus of supporting FLAC and OGG files.

Reaction score
Gave Songbird a try - found it "ok." Going back to iTunes. Not really any problems with iTunes - my problem is with iPhoto.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If software like Foobar2000 came out for OS X, I would consider switching to that because I do find Songbird to be relatively bloated; I have no need for a browser (or the various other features Songbird has) in my music player. However, as a simple music player, it works fantastically, and has the added bonus of supporting FLAC and OGG files.

Totally agree. I'll never understand the Swiss Army Knife mentality that goes into these types of applications. Keep the browser AWAY from the music app ! I don't even want my audio player to touch video... let alone surf the web.

Question about why you use managed mode: Where do you get your music from, that it doesn't have vital information such as track numbers or names and such ? I've found that every time I try to use a media player's "managed" mode, it really screws with my file names and they never wind up in the correct order.

I've never ripped a CD (or downloaded for that matter) without making sure the format of the album and song was in tact. Ripping a CD should present you with the option to put the artist in a folder with the name of said artist, and in that folder should contain another folder with the album's name, and in that folder, should be every song on said album, formatted with a track number and name of the song.

Almost everything in my music collection is set this way, hence not ever needing a "managed" mode to re-name anything. It just sees the stuff and adds it to the library without having to really copy anything. I guess you can look at these files as if they were an alias. Actually.. that's exactly what they are.

Doug

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I simply don't understand (I guess) how people in general, manage their own folders and files. I'd love to see an example of how a hard core iTunes user keeps their folders (on an external or internal HD) managed. If it's anything like how I manage mine, I would then be totally confused by why that person would want to use iTunes.

I think I fall into that category...

For starters, I don let iTunes manage my music or video files on my drives, I do that myself. My music and videos (Movies, TV Shows and Music Videos) are, at this point, spread out across 4 1Tb internal and 3 500Gb external drives. Because of the sheer amount of music I have, and my desire to keep open space on my drives for future additions, my files are setup as such:

Music drive 1: Genre/Music files by artists with names alphabetically A-M/Album

Music Drive 2: Genre/Music files by artists with names alphabetically N-#/Album

(Two of the 500Gb drives are dedicated solely to the Genre "Rock")

The same is true for TV Shows (Genre/TV Show/Season) and Movies (Genre/Movie) on their respective drives.

All of the files are fully tagged and have appropriate artwork etc.

Since I don't allow iTunes to move or arrange the files I maintain full control of the file structure myself while iTunes simply provides a nice way to view it, play it, stream it and move it to my various iPods/iPhones.

The actual iTunes data base is located on my boot drive in the MUSIC folder where iTunes puts it by default, and new downloads or rips from iTunes go directly to my desktop for uploading to the appropriate external drive.

Since my music is acquired from a wide variety of sources, I generally use 3rd party Apps (like MediaRage or MPFreaker) for bulk tagging and artwork changes as needed.

I have provides some pics as requested (Note the last 5 drives are not mine, they are my wife's as I am transferring her drives to an 8 Bay external USB 2 case and recovering some files from a failed drive).

Well listen, I'm not preaching to anyone here

Sure sounds like you are.

If iTunes works well for you, then there's absolutely no reason to stop using it. But don't be fooled. iTunes is definitely not nearly as flexible or simple. In fact it mirrors Apple's tune of "my way of the highway" mentality. Let me try and explain how and where it differs from iTunes in really simple terms (not a slight at you.. just that if I try and go all deep with it, I'll lose my train of thought... short attention span and all.. )

Are you a sales person for the songbird software? Have you ever considered a career in selling used cars? Why does everyone's acceptance of Songbird, how you choose to use it, your extreme dislike of iTunes and general disdain for Apple seem so very important to you? Look, you like Songbird, great. Calm down, it's a piece of software, not a religious experience. The again, maybe it is for you.

As for reading Metadata issues, I can't say I've ever had any real issues with iTunes, except when the media in question was obtained from a questionable source and ultimately turned out to be corrupted (re-importing in iTunes as MP3 file usually fixes this).

I don't have to go through any of this nonsense with SongBird. Here's one of the main and major differences. With SB, I simply tell it where my music is, and it queries that folder without the nuisance of extra folders and files to delete. No scattered anything. Just the songs, where I said they'd be.

Funny, iTunes does this just fine for me. Not sure where the issue is. As I said, I don't want or need iTunes to try and manage my music, it's to scattered on multiple drives to even try.

These things are a nightmare to me. One of my best friend's who worked at an Apple store, and who has been an Apple guy since forever, has yet to try and explain why it behaves the way it does in my situation. He has no answer except for the obligatory : "Well it works fine for me, since those things don't bother me."

And his being happy with them is a bad thing and negatively impacts you how?

Yeah.. of course. Because you just do what iTunes tells you to do with no question. I personally don't work that way. Never have and never will. So iTunes just isn't for me. But this mentality just isn't understood by my friend, so he just gives me the ol' shrug and says "I dunno".

More of that "Not Preaching"? Ok, you don't like it and thats perfectly ok. I'm glad you found something that works better for you. Here's the thing, you can't understand why he doesn't understand your point of view, but you simply seem to refuse to try to understand his. It's a two way street. Respect his POV and I'm sure he'll respect yours. I like the pizza and beer part though.

Totally agree. I'll never understand the Swiss Army Knife mentality that goes into these types of applications. Keep the browser AWAY from the music app ! I don't even want my audio player to touch video... let alone surf the web.

Now THERE is something we can agree on!

Seems to me that you want a piece of software that will manage your music the way YOU want it managed, without having to do it yourself. That's fine, nothing wrong with that and I'm happy that you like Songbird so much. Maybe when I get my MacPro I'll give it a shot (it's Intel only). There are some PPC builds out there, but it didn't seem like anything special to me when I tried it and it seemed to choke on my large library size. Importing iTunes data base was a complete no go, but that may just be how it is, I have no problem letting it import the files from scratch so maybe I'll try that at a later date.

For the record, I've used iTunes since before it was iTunes (when Cassidy and Greene developed it, it was called SoundJam MP) and my manual filing system is an extension of that time. The original App that became iTunes didn't try to manage your music, it just allowed you to play music and make playlists. Apple bought it and made into something far different than it was ever intended to be, not worse or better, just different.

The Complete iTunes History -- SoundJam MP to iTunes 9

Picture 1.jpg

Picture 2.jpg

Picture 3.jpg

Picture 4.jpg

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Baggss, WOW, what a collection. Puts mine to shame! :D

I started using iTunes when it first came out for Windows. Before iTunes I really loved WinAmp and had a stint with Music Match which started to become annoying for me. I have tried most major MP3 players on Windows. When I tried iTunes first Windows version, I loved it and never looked back.

At the time I was so poor all I had Mac wise was an old Quadra running OS 8.1. Finally things got better and I got my first G3 then G4 Powermac and was able to run iTunes on OSX 10.2. I still like it to this day. I have music scattered all over many drives and iTunes works with it all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHz MacBook Pro
iTunes worked perfectly for me through iTunes 8. iTunes 9 is what killed it for me. 8 works without any issues for me; it was fast and handled my library to my liking. iTunes 9, for whatever godforsaken reason, ruined everything. To begin with, I didn't like the new browser for it (much preferred the old one), but I could live with that, if only it wasn't so slow and unstable for me.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Baggss, WOW, what a collection. Puts mine to shame! :D

I started using iTunes when it first came out for Windows. Before iTunes I really loved WinAmp and had a stint with Music Match which started to become annoying for me. I have tried most major MP3 players on Windows. When I tried iTunes first Windows version, I loved it and never looked back.

Man, that sounds a lot like my history. I still wish they'd port WinAmp over to the Mac. There's just something about it that I like for a simple media player.

Reaction score
Oh, I'm not having any problems. I just meant I don't see any real difference. I agree its simple and flexible but just about in every way that iTunes is. I've yet to locate (and I want to) any difference in functionality. And as far as aesthetics go, see attached, different colored spandex.

I'm being silly. They look the same.

You must (no, i mean really, really should... really, seriously! ) download and use the now playing add-on... may seem a small thing but it's a huge difference. Don't know how people live without a now playing list.. but there again, there's plenty of windows users still plodding along with IE web browser :p

it's here
Now Playing List - Songbird Add-ons

Ah, Rega turntables. Used to have a Rega 2 and a Creek amp, then went to Arcam for CD's.... now use Sonos with my KEF home theatre system. Sonos is very good indeed....

Coops

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
How do I live without something telling me what's playing?

Man, the days of vinyl would have REALLY stymied folk then :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Man, that sounds a lot like my history. I still wish they'd port WinAmp over to the Mac. There's just something about it that I like for a simple media player.

Once upon a time there was a WinAmp port to the Mac. Never got past version 1.0 and once iTunes came out, WinAmp ceased Mac development.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Once upon a time there was a WinAmp port to the Mac. Never got past version 1.0 and once iTunes came out, WinAmp ceased Mac development.

To both you and CWA, that is a shame as there are so many switchers who love WinAmp and would love to have it on OSX. I still very much like WinAmp on Windows. If there was no iTunes, I would still be using WinAmp on all my Windows systems.

OP
Doug b
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You must (no, i mean really, really should... really, seriously! ) download and use the now playing add-on... may seem a small thing but it's a huge difference. Don't know how people live without a now playing list.. but there again, there's plenty of windows users still plodding along with IE web browser :p

it's here
Now Playing List - Songbird Add-ons

Ah, Rega turntables. Used to have a Rega 2 and a Creek amp, then went to Arcam for CD's.... now use Sonos with my KEF home theatre system. Sonos is very good indeed....

Coops

I downloaded this add on, and to be perfectly honest, I don't see the use of it. It essentially seems to take away the the ability to play anything from the main playlist window in succession, and only seems to serve as an on the go playlist editor. Not sure I get it. Why would I just sit around wasting time seeking out individual songs or albums to put in an list, when I can simply use shuffle and see what tickles my fancy that way ?

Maybe I don't understand its purpose. I used to use this feature with ROCKbox on my DAP's and I recall that it worked similarly, but not sure if it was exactly the same.

Doug

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.