Looking for the best multi function printer

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If your running HP or want to buy HP and are Military Active / Retiree you are entitled to the 10% discount. http://hp.force.com/external/usarmy

Thanks for that. Yes, I'm military retired but I generally go to our local Navy Exchange at the Naval Base in Fort Worth to shop for the big stuff. No state tax and usually very good savings on computers, printers, and most electronic stuff. If they have it in stock that is.

Reaction score
Yes for me the HP printers I have never let me down and also HP has great discounts.

I highly recommend *against* getting an HP product.

A decade or more ago HP was the go-to brand of printer. It's not that their hardware these days isn't good (though it isn't in the same league as the tanks that they made years ago), it mostly is. It's that their support for Macintosh users is too often terrible.

On certain Macintosh discussion lists, if you bring up HP, that will elicit a chorus of folks spitting on the ground at the mention of the name. All of them had previously purchased HP printers which HP orphaned while they were still fairly new. Of all the printer manufacturers, HP has been the worst about providing new drivers as necessary to have their printers work with new versions of OS X. Folks' printers became bricks due to nothing more than a lack of support from HP.

In addition HP technical support for Mac users can either be good...or it can be abominable. Several times I've heard folks complain that they called HP support for assistance and they were told that the solution to their problem was to get a Windows PC.(!) That's the last thing that a Macintosh user wants to hear.

To reiterate, I'm not saying that you can't have a great experience with an HP product (so folks don't have to bother posting that "I have an HP and it's been great!"). I'm saying that way too often folks have experiences with HP products that are the opposite. There are other excellent choices for printers for the Macintosh from companies that are much more supportive of the Macintosh. If you are looking for a laser printer, Brother is the best of these. If you are looking for an inkjet printer, I most often recommend Canon (but not all of their models.) There is no reason to roll the dice with HP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I still think that Canon inkjet printers are the best,

Well Randy, until my last and sudden annoying "double printing" fiasco with my Canon PIXMA MH5620 Wireless Office All-In-One Printer I would tend to have agreed and it's just a small step-down relation and a bit slower printing to your highly recommended Canon PIXMA MX922 Wireless Office All-In-One Printer, albeit without any auto document feeder or faxing, neither of which I wanted, or to pay for. But they do use the same ink cartridges, so I assume a similar printhead and print engine.

Their fixit tech support and discussions have not been successful, and I'm beginning to question the validity of some of their facts regarding their advice to fix the problem.

I'm a bit famous for being a bit tenacious and persistent on fixing problems and haven't given up yet.

As I posted to my computer oriented sons:
Unanswered questions of the computer world… or one of the laws I guess…

Why does one's AIO multifunction inkjet printer start to malfunction and not print properly shortly after one buys over the double number of spare ink cartridges to have on hand for a bargain price… and the printer was hardly even used…???

Aaaaghhhhhh!!! And no fix that works it seems, even for this normal fixit guy… :-(

I have recently tried blocking off the small dye black ink cartridge that they say is only used with photo and labels etc. printing but that hasn't worked completely to get proper results. So, so far it seems like the printhead that controls the ink from the large pigmented black cartridge is goofy and no alignment or cleaning is going to fix the double text printing properly.

The strange part is that not all lines of text are goofed up. And the bottom line is I'm a bit p'd off user of this Canon printer at the moment.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
So, so far it seems like the printhead that controls the ink from the large pigmented black cartridge is goofy and no alignment or cleaning is going to fix the double text printing properly.

I have no experience whatsoever with the Canon PIXMA MH5620, but I can tell you that several modern Canon inkjet models have easily removable (making it easy to clean them) and replaceable printheads, if you have determined that is the problem:

Here are the instructions for removing the printhead on the MX922:
https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART143853

with luck it will be similar for your model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here are the instructions for removing the printhead on the MX922:

Thanks Randy, but I'm way ahead of you and have removed, cleaned and thoroughly checked what I can with a magnifying headset and replaced it.

Removing and replacing the printed is a bit of a b——– , and the actual exact replacement doesn't seem to be really available, even checking the Chinese sites and even then are in the $50.00usd+range.

For even less than that I could buy a new printer locally that's on sale.

If I do go that type of route, I won't get caught up in the extra color cartridges for the super photo-optimized Canon Pixma ink jets photo-quality hype. I just don't need it or the hassles, but just some basic color output. But some reliability would sure be nice for more than just two years just to print some 500+ pages of plain paper.

I still have our old HP 4ML Lasejet Apple serial and AppleTALK ONLY B&W laser printer that STILL works, but only after I boot the old 10.5.x iMac as a networked print server.

What an old reliable built like a tank type printer it is. And CHEAP to run and excellent text output, and did I mention SUPER WATERPROOF ink and it's produced well over 10,000 copies and it's only cost me $50.00 for the paper and a replacement toner cartridge. Not bad at all I'd say!!! AND, I was given the printer!!! :Smirk:

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure I agree with Randy's advice about HP. I have had nothing but good experiences with HP equipment (both PCs and printers). One thing about older HP equipment, it generally still works and is supported - for example my HP LJ 1012.

But like anything else, we all have a choice and favorites. Some folks like Fords, others like a Chevy. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well I'm glad your HP LJ 1012 is still running chscag, as it's from about the 2004 era I believe, which is just a bit older than the HP PSC 1510 I had, but it just up and died, absolutely dead about just over two yeas ago, but did cost about $100.00 less unless purchased as part of an Apple Mac + printer bundle.

Reaction score
I still have our old HP 4ML Lasejet Apple serial and AppleTALK ONLY B&W laser printer that STILL works, but only after I boot the old 10.5.x iMac as a networked print server.

What an old reliable built like a tank type printer it is. And CHEAP to run and excellent text output, and did I mention SUPER WATERPROOF ink and it's produced well over 10,000 copies and it's only cost me $50.00 for the paper and a replacement toner cartridge. Not bad at all I'd say!!! AND, I was given the printer!!!

You can't compare a color inkjet printer to a laser printer. Especially one from a different era, and especially a black and white one. Early laser printers were overbuilt, and cost a fortune. But even modern laser printers tend to be ridiculously reliable. I had several B&W Brother laser printers that had been in service for over 15 years when I retired them...and they could have gone on for longer. I have several fairly new Brother B&W laser printers, and I expect them to last as long.

Color inkjet printers are a compromise of quality of printing and low price. None of them will last for decades. If you don't use them often their print heads will dry up and clog. Of all the brands of color inkjets, Canon is the best at resisting this, and they even have removable print-heads to ameliorate the problem. But they are still color inkjets.

Unfortunately a color laser printer isn't, in most cases, a satisfactory substitute. Color laser printers can't print photo-realistic prints nearly as well, and they have wildly expensive consumables of their own.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can't compare a color inkjet printer to a laser printer.

I sure wasn't even attempting to do that in case it was misunderstood. But just making a comparison between some old and new quality at close to the same price level when purchased.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
Looked at HP comparison chart.

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Looked at HP comparison chart.

Apparently almost all still have USB connectivity. Trying to decide between Envy 4520 and 4650.

If it helps, I have the 4520. Dead easy to set up and never had a day's problem with it.

An isolated experience isn't worth a lot and that's the caveat; but my association with HP has been trouble-free.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
Thank you Ian. The 4520 was on sale for under $70 so I go it. Set up was a breeze. Sure will miss my old 990. First time I have ever dealt with wireless and didn't realize the wireless printer still had USB capability for a particular parrot software that only runs on my old Dell. I love that there are still just 2 print cartridges. I think I am now in the 21st century with all my computer equipment!

If it helps, I have the 4520. Dead easy to set up and never had a day's problem with it.

An isolated experience isn't worth a lot and that's the caveat; but my association with HP has been trouble-free.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you Ian. The 4520 was on sale for under $70 so I go it.

I think that's just a good and maybe excellent way of deciding on what "best" printer to purchase, as long as it at least meets one's basic needs, and that's to get one "on sale".

I was wanting to replace our not too old Canon MG5620 as its printhead was goofy and one of the highly recommended printers, by Randy here and some others, was for a Canon MX922. It met all our requirements and more, and specially considering it used the same ink cartridges as our old 5620 and we had several full XL replacement sets spare, but its regular $200.00cdn price was way over what I wanted to spend, and besides, the MX922 was huge in size compared to what we were used to using.

But that small problem was easily overcome when a local dealer, and Canon Canada, were selling the MX922 for just under $70.00. Not a bad deal to get $130.00cdn off the regular price. ;D

Yes, its a good printer and does an excellent job, but it should with its insistent head cleaning, just as its previous cousin did, but all photo-type ink jets seem to do the same.

So maybe the "best" printer to get after narrowing down ones choices's is the one on sale. Worked for me. :D

PS: What was wrong with your old one, or did I just miss something and what brand???
Sure will miss my old 990

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only problem I have with low cost printers is that they usually hit you in the pocket with the cost of consumables. Nowadays, even the cheap laser printers that are on sale do the same thing. However, I have to agree with Patrick in that even some expensive multi-function printers use expensive consumables.

I have been buying refillable toner cartridges for my older HP Laserjet and never have a problem with them. Refillable ink cartridges are another story though. Some are great while others not so much. But still, at one third the cost of genuine manufacturer cartridges, I'm willing to take a chance on them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The only problem I have with low cost printers is that they usually hit you in the pocket with the cost of consumables.

I just wanted to make it clear that I consider any "low cost printer" and a high cost printer but purchased at a super cheap low cost sale price are completely different printers AFAIK. :Blushing:

But I'll have to admit that for anyone who might need a basic printer for occasional use and that can use third party inks/cartridges, by all means pickup one that's on sale or even close to their normal retail $30.00 price range.

But at that rate and usage, one may as well just send the print jobs out to the local printshop and pickup the output the next time you pass by.

- Patrick
======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But at that rate and usage, one may as well just send the print jobs out to the local printshop and pickup the output the next time you pass by.

Have to agree with that advice especially when it comes to printing photos. I could spend a fortune on special photo paper for my Epson and at the same time suck up all my color cartridges trying to print a set of vacation photos. I can email the same photo images to my local Walgreens (US pharmacy chain store) and for about ¼ the price have the photos printed by them and ready for pickup in around 2 to 3 hours. No contest. ;D

Reaction score
The only problem I have with low cost printers is that they usually hit you in the pocket with the cost of consumables. Nowadays, even the cheap laser printers that are on sale do the same thing.

I've been keeping track of brand new third party (non-OEM) consumables that folks have used and had really good success with for at least a couple of decades.

Inkjet printers all just drink ink at a prodigious rate. The cost of consumables is high. If you fall for the trap of purchasing third party consumables for an inkjet printer from someplace like Amazon, you are extremely likely to find that you've purchased worthless junk.

However, I've found several excellent sources for brand-new (these aren't refills or remanufactured) third party consumables.

For instance, the Canon MX922 takes five separate ink cartridges. The SRP of a full set of 5 replacement OEM cartridges is over $90. However, you can get a full set of third party cartridges that are indistinguishable from OEM for only $15 from:

https://www.meritline.com/canon-pgi...h-yield-with-new-chip-combo-5---p-107326.aspx

You can get them for even less if you purchase in bulk and/or wait for sales.

The same goes for Brother black and white laser printers. For instance a HL-5450DN takes a "high capacity" (8,000 pages) OEM toner cartridge that goes for around $125. But you can get a third party cartridge that is practically indistinguishable from an OEM one for $24 including shipping from:

https://www.partsmart-corp.com/brother-tn-750-high-performance-toner-cartridge/29271

Color laser printers are a separate situation. Even if you can find inexpensive consumables for them, they have so many consumables that they are still expensive to supply. A color laser printer is likely to have four separate color toner cartridges, a print drum, a belt, and a waste toner bucket. I generally don't recommend that folks purchase color laser printers unless they have very specific needs.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Color laser printers are a separate situation. Even if you can find inexpensive consumables for them, they have so many consumables that they are still expensive to supply. A color laser printer is likely to have four separate color toner cartridges, a print drum, a belt, and a waste toner bucket. I generally don't recommend that folks purchase color laser printers unless they have very specific needs.

Thanks for the buying tips Randy. And I have to completely agree with you about color laser printers. We purchased a Dell Color Laser for our church and found out later that the replacement toner cartridges were around a $100 each ordered from Dell. And like you said above, it was recommended that the print drum be replaced after a given amount of copies were made. We had to limit use of the printer for only special occasions and print jobs. Not really worth buying one in my opinion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Inkjet printers all just drink ink at a prodigious rate. The cost of consumables is high. If you fall for the trap of purchasing third party consumables for an inkjet printer from someplace like Amazon, you are extremely likely to find that you've purchased worthless junk.

I dare say that seems to be a rather overstatement regarding many inkjet cartridges frond at Amazon and Ebay.

I, like you have generally always used good quality third party inks or cartridges, and most I found via those two sources. So yes, there are good and not good at both sites, just like all other commodities.

And BTW, I still have some bulk ink and various syringes in the basement workroom for the old StyleWriter printers we used to have. Both the SW B&W and SW Color models.

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac -Monterey-12.6.7 27"Retina 5K, Late 2015, 3.2 GHz, i5, 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3, 250 GB SSD
I've had only inkjets starting with an HP I think it was model 500 then epson, then ???? then Canon then HP 8600.

The 8600 works well, but I have had issues. I was very happy with the Canon.

I refill my tanks and have had excellent service from inkproducts.com I tried a continuous flow system but it was a nightmare. I had bought an early cheapo one. The Inkproducts one looks a lot better. Next time I have printing issues I will get one of these. You just fill an outboard tank whenever it gets low. Easy peasy and no surprises.

Another thing to consider is a forum for printers https://www.printerknowledge.com/

I always have a tough time deciding between a laser B&W and an inkjet. Randy thanks for the mention of 15 years from the printer.

Thanks for the suggestion of a local print shop. It never occurred to me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.