Looking for an app to calibrate a clock

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
I have a wall hanging clock that has a pendulum mechanism. To calibrate it I am adjusting the pendulum length. Each time I have to make sure the clock is mounted true and the the tick.tock.tick.tock is even, not ticktock..ticktock..ticktock. I seem to recall an app for the iPhone that listened to the clock and had a graphic to show the interval so you could get the interval as accurate as possible. But I can't find such an app in the app store.

So, does anybody know of an app that could do that?

TIA,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Perhaps this one?

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks. Had not thought of searching for a cuckoo clock, but it worked. Not very sensitive to sound, so I had to turn off ALL fans, motors, sounds to be able to get a clean signal, but it did work.

Again, thanks! Clock is now tick.tock.tick.tock-ing evenly!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Not very sensitive to sound, so I had to turn off ALL fans, motors, sounds to be able to get a clean signal, but it did work.

If you're into electronics and an amplifier would help, hve a read here:

And for some pendulum clock info you already know about, but just in case:

- Patrick
=======

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, Patrick. I've had pendulum clocks for 40+ years. This new one is a replacement for an old Tameside clock I bought in England 40 years ago. I still have the old one but the mainspring has broken and I've tried three horologists to see if it could be fixed. One said he wasn't taking new business, planned to retire once his backlog was gone, one kept it for just about a year and then said he couldn't get the parts to fix it, the third wouldn't even take it. Said he couldn't get to it for 18 months, that the part he thought it might need would then take over a year to have custom made and the cost of the part alone would be more than the value of the clock itself. So it stayed on the wall, silent and stuck. Two years.

I found this one last week to replace it:

IMG_2774.jpeg

Almost exactly the same, fully refurbished. I don't know the maker, I've not taken the case off to examine the mechanism yet. The clock is pretty accurate with my first calibration, about 1 minute fast each day, but I know I can get it closer with some adjustment on the pendulum and a good leveling.

The old one was a Tameside fusee mechanism, made by the Tameside clock company in Oldham, England, near Manchester, in the early 1900's (went out of business in the 1920's). They made thousands of them for offices, schools, pubs, railway stations. Beautiful oak case, but the face was in pretty poor condition. They didn't think that the clocks would last over a century! I got it so accurate before it broke that it would be within a minute of correct time each time I wound it, once a week.

This new one is refurbished, newly painted face and hands and the mechanism serviced by a horologist in the Valley about 100 miles from where I live. I do know it is a fusee mechanism and I suspect it, too, is early 20th century, definitely English. And I'll get it calibrated to be really accurate. It's surprising how good that fusee mechanism can be, given how simple it really is.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
So it stayed on the wall, silent and stuck. Two years.

I found this one last week to replace it:

We have had a nice classic pendulum clock replica for almost 20 years, but it uses a more modern quartz movement which is deadly accurate and one's choice of three different chimes and uses a battery that lasts several years. We like the Westminster Chime which has set on a fairly low volume.

Similar to one like this that saves a lot of hassles and no time adjustments needed except for Daylight Saving Time changes which unfortunately it is not automatic. ;)

71lssjSXrEL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

- Patrick
=======

OP
MacInWin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yep, there are lots of more modern clocks out there. I like the comforting sound of the tick, tock when I am sitting in the room reading a book. Yes, it does take some work to calibrate it, but it's not so much about the telling of time as it about the ambiance of hearing it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.