Looking for a wireless hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13 inch, 2020
I'd like to know if there's a wireless SSD hard drive that will allow me to store documents, images and movies on it and be able to access it from my macbook pro. Ideally, I'd like to be able to connect to it wirelessly and play movies in VLC, Quicktime, view docs in Word, Adobe, etc.

I currently have a hard drive connected to a TC, but after updating to 10.12.2, I'm getting an error 36 and apple said that there may not be a way to fix it. Thanks

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Try this no doubt there are larger capacity models for larger capacity pockets. Also Apple have abandoned TC:-

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M9B3XZM/?tag=macforums0e4-20

Thanks! A few questions:

-Will this work with my macbook? It looks like it's for mobile devices.

-How's the transfer rate and playback? When it was working properly, the SSD connected to the TC allowed for a fast transfer and I could play movie files with no streaming issues.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
When it was working properly, the SSD connected to the TC allowed for a fast transfer and I could play movie files with no streaming issues.
How was the drive connected to the TC? If USB 3, then you could buy an enclosure and a separate SSD drive and build your own.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How was the drive connected to the TC? If USB 3, then you could buy an enclosure and a separate SSD drive and build your own.

That is what I currently have. it's a Samsung external SSD with an enclosure. For some reason, after I updated to 10.12.2, movies that are on the SSD no longer play and I get an error.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Have you tried to plug it directly into your MacBook Pro? Run Disk Utility > First Aid?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Have you tried to plug it directly into your MacBook Pro? Run Disk Utility > First Aid?

If I plug the SSD into the macbook, the movie files play as normal. Should I still try to run disk utility on it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
When you said you wanted a wireless external drive that's what I googled for you. Sorry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I plug the SSD into the macbook, the movie files play as normal. Should I still try to run disk utility on it?
I think, if you run Disk Utility on it, then try to plug it back in to the TC and test again.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think, if you run Disk Utility on it, then try to plug it back in to the TC and test again.

Tried that and still doesn't work. I've seen one other person on the apple forums with this exact problem and it seems like it started in the past week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Give the TC a big miss. Apple has abandoned it and at the end of the day it was just another device, nothing special.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Give the TC a big miss. Apple has abandoned it and at the end of the day it was just another device, nothing special.

I actually like it a lot. I don't want information on the cloud and it was nice to have a physical device that backs up my computer all the time. Is there another, non-cloud, alternative?

With regard to my issue. I reformatted a different hard drive and connected that to the TC and the movie files play, so I guess I have to do that to the main one. I'll see if that fixes the issue. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2010 MBP 13, 8 gig mem, 2 int disks 500gig SSD, 1Tb SSHD . 2010 iMac, 8 gig, 2 Tb SSHD. iMac M1
Can someone tell me what a TC is please??

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.