Little pop, then wisp of smoke

Reaction score
I have a late 2012 MBP that just surprised the **** out of me. I was cropping a photo, and there was a little "pop" sound, and the screen went dark. Then a couple wisps of smoke came from the upper left corner. While I was freaking, the laptop started itself back up, and at the moment seems to be fine. I immediately did a backup to thumb drive, which also went fine. Our Apple stores are all still closed. No storms, no power glitches. Any ideas, other than letting the MPB sleep in the kitchen sink tonight?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Well a pop and smoke is an electric short or component giving up the ghost. So while it's operational, something the LCD, the backlight or something other circuitry or part of a circuitry went kaput.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I hope you informed your MacBook Pro that smoking is bad for its heath. ;)

All joking aside..... Something obviously shorted out. The pop and wisps of smoke are familiar signs to us old electronic techs.

Our advice: Leave your MacBook Pro turned off. Apple is not going to work on it anyway since your machine is considered vintage by Apple. So it doesn't matter that the Apple stores are closed.

You can try taking your machine to an Authorized Apple Repair Service provider if you can find one in your area. Best Buy is an AASP if you wish to take your chances with them.

The other option is to open up your MBP to see if you can find out what shorted out. Since that model has an LED backlight it could be that something in that circuitry shorted out. You can find the take apart instructions for your machine here:

www.ifixit.com

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
When you say "the smoke came from the upper left corner", are you referring to the display screen or the keyboard top cover? Also, is this a 13" or the 15" model?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
and there was a little "pop" sound, and the screen went dark. Then a couple wisps of smoke came from the upper left corner

I'm sure not an electronics expert, but that sounds very much like a capacitor blowing up, but maybe not a supercritical one if the MBPro is actually still operational. It might be quite obvious if the MBPro was opened up and inspected.

- Patrick
=======

OP
M
Reaction score
This is a 13-inch MPB and the smoke seemed to be coming from the corner where the Escape key is. Everything really does seem to be working as always. I had the speakers replaced a month or so ago so maybe I'll take it back to them since they work on Macs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is a 13-inch MPB and the smoke seemed to be coming from the corner where the Escape key is. Everything really does seem to be working as always. I had the speakers replaced a month or so ago so maybe I'll take it back to them since they work on Macs.

Maybe they just happened to leave a screw loose that shorted out on some hot contacts as it rolled about...???

I would definitely take it back to them and let them have a look... and do so in the very near future...

- Patrick
=======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
That's not the LCD, that's still the base system and if you had work done recently, then that's the first place to start since the speakers are in that area.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
It is never good when the "magic smoke" escapes from electronics. When the magic smoke goes away, so does the magic. I'd take it back to be checked out. Unless the repair facility can and will do some very expensive soldering, a logic board replacement may be in your future.

OP
M
Reaction score
Probably all depends on cost, but not sure I can trust this laptop now, which was a gift upon my retirement after 38 years.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
That spot up near the esc key is also where the power circuit is too I think.

OP
M
Reaction score
It's going back to the people who replaced the speakers tomorrow morning. Meanwhile it sleeps in the kitchen sink!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
So long as you remember not to turn on the tap thats probably a very safe spot. :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So long as you remember not to turn on the tap thats probably a very safe spot. :ROFLMAO:

I don't think a "mistertudball" would do anything like that...!!! :D

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We service to the component level all MacBooks, Airs and Pros. We don't do iPads and iPhones.
Any fluctuations of voltage on the S0 buses far enough to go out of spec will trigger the unit to go down to a lower state, effectively restarting as far as the user's concerned.

The fluctuation in voltage on one of these key buses can be caused by many different things, not just capacitors. Often times, a trace on the circuit board will pop, for absolutely no reason other than its Apple. I'm rewiring a u7000 chip mount right now on a 2012 MBP, that came in for a symptom of turned it on and nothing happened.

Although they didn't mention liquid damage, there are three spots on the motherboard, all on the underside, that caus ed the short that blew out the pins on the power and charge control chip mentioned above. Three traces were blown out from under the chip completely, making simple chip replacement not possible even if the chip was bad.

I'm using extremely fine magnet wire to make the connections on the motherboard that were blown out, one of them being a via.

In addition, on this A1398 The users left side toward the hinge is where both the mag safe and the LCD connectors are. As another user said, the LCD backlight driver, which is bumped up to 45 to 47 volts, is common to blow as a symptom, but once they go, they go. There is a fuse that can blow in addition to the buck up converter chip itself.

These are common things to go bad in that area, especially traces coming right off that mag safe connector. Another thing to consider is that where you saw the smoke might not be where it came from, but just the place where the smoke was able to escape.

The first thing I would check is to see if you can run the unit on battery as well as AC/magsafe. That tells you right there if you have stable s0 and your power management chip is functioning properly. That chip is the one that decides whether or not you have the correct charger plugged in and the right voltage for it to allow charging of the battery. It also checks to see if the battery is operational with the onboard chip in the battery pack as well as the voltage coming off the battery (batteries).

Apple doesn't actually do any repairs, but they use as a place to solve user problems AASPs just like mentioned earlier at places such as Best Buy. Please Google for videos about them before you decide to roll those dice. Apples inability to help their customers, and their fight against right to repair (#RTR) are the reason I got into fixing their laptops in the first place.

I think you should find a repair shop in your area, weather certified by Apple or not, and go by the reviews. try to find objective reviews on sites other than the vendors site. When you drop off the unit for repair, be sure to enter into a signed agreement that you should read carefully that covers you for items that they damage in the course of repairs, and getting any repairs with costs approved by you in advance.

There are a ton of really great people fixing Apple products for all the right reasons, and there are disreputable ones that are doing it for all the wrong reasons. Just be careful to make sure you're using a place that is reputable.

If you don't find a place locally, there are fantastic shops that will take your unit via mail, and you will more than make up for the shipping in quality of repair. I'm probably not allowed to mention any of them, and I don't take mail-ins, but it won't take you very long if you search to find out who the really good ones are. Look for the ones that have hundreds and hundreds of YouTube videos showing how they repair their units. those are the kind of people you want to associate with, not the ones that are so bad that they don't dare video what they do.

I'm sure someone will eventually say to run apples internal diagnostics, which are essentially useless, and there are other hardware tests out there, but You really need to have someone get their hands in there and see what's really going on. You might be seeing a symptom of something that started a long time ago, like the three areas of water damage on the 2012 logic board I'm working on right now.

The pain of poor quality lasts far longer than the joy of a low price.

:)

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks all for the feedback. I'm remiss in not responding earlier that I took the MBP in to a highly-rated local repair shop I'd been to before to have the speakers replaced. They put it "on the bench" and after its exam said everything checked out fine but they stopped short of taking the whole laptop apart to check the underside of the (logic board?) which would have been a couple billable hours. They assured me the MBP won't burn my house down (but it still sleeps in the kitchen sink) and to bring it back when it totally fails. This laptop has never had liquid ingestion issues, works fine off battery or direct, and other than that one smoke issue hasn't skipped a beat. And the repair place didn't charge me a cent.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
We service to the component level all MacBooks, Airs and Pros. We don't do iPads and iPhones.
You might laugh, but I had one brought in that fried a bug, and caused the same symptom. Everything worked.

And the repair place didn't charge me a cent.

A good place wouldn't.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You might laugh, but I had one brought in that fried a bug, and caused the same symptom. Everything worked./QUOTE]

Not unusual if you've ever done electronic repairs in Hawaii. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
M
Reaction score
I trust them, but would have surely paid an "investigative fee" for their trouble. Obviously they'll get my business from now on.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.