• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Latest Tiger build is now Gold Master

OP
S

StarDrifter

For their next major upgrade (OS11) I think they should come up with a completely new and exciting name and ditch the OS tag. Calling your operating system "operating system" is rather lame.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
i think theyre just trying to milk the whole X-fad for what its worth. in their old numbering scheme(6.0-9.1) would have been:

Old ........ New
7.0 .......... 10.0
7.5 .......... 10.1
8.0 .......... 10.1.5
8.5 .......... 10.2
8.6 .......... 10.3
9.0 .......... 10.4

so if anything, it should be more like OS 12 by now. :mac:

OP
S

StarDrifter

Hence my opinion that they should just come up with a new name rather than just "OS"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
They did sorta, "Tiger"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
I just noticed the genious who came up with the name "Tiger" actually used a literary device––alliteration, common repetition of similar sounding words, or a common letter. In this case Mac OS Ten Tiger.

BTW - IMO, I like Mac OS. If someone said : "I'm running Tiger now", would a newcomer to the MacWorld know what it meant? With Mac OS X Tiger, its quite obvious that you are referring to a Macintosh Operating System.

See?

Note: Yes, I can support anything, even if I'm wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
ApplejustWorks said:
Note: Yes, I can support anything, even if I'm wrong.

i reject your reality and substitute my own. :spook:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17"
StarDrifter said:
For their next major upgrade (OS11) I think they should come up with a completely new and exciting name and ditch the OS tag. Calling your operating system "operating system" is rather lame.

Like Disk Operating System?

OP
S

StarDrifter

mikegold said:
Like Disk Operating System?

Yes, that is also lame, but that name's not really used any more is it? No one uses dos anymore - although the name still is referred to like in "dos mode"

OP
S

StarDrifter

edgefusion said:
They did sorta, "Tiger"

Tiger isn't really the name of the operating system - rather the name of the build.

The operating system is still named "OS"

Apple comes up with very innovative names for their hardware, but their operating system has been called Mac OS {followed by a number} for decades

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
MacAddikt said:
i reject your reality and substitute my own. :spook:

That show rocks..Mythbusters!

Muahah...Yes, that's basically the only TV I watch..the TV I can learn stuff from - Discovery, History...

lol...I know––Saad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad 32 GB 3G
ApplejustWorks said:
That show rocks..Mythbusters!

Muahah...Yes, that's basically the only TV I watch..the TV I can learn stuff from - Discovery, History...

lol...I know––Saad.

Nah...just shows that you reject the awful pablum that passes for entertainment on most TV channels. I've noticed that once you get used to not watching, you get so you can barely stand it any more.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Ah yes, TV. I wish I had time to watch a show or two. But until then, I'll just sit in the dark, with my Powerbook, and photoshop.

OP
K

Kokopelli

Since ADC just released a new seed for Tiger, perhaps the announcement that Tiger went gold is premature. Either that or they are already starting the testing cycle for 10.4.1, which would not bode well for 10.4.0

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.