Kaspersky on Monterey?

Reaction score
Hi,

I understood that it may not be necessary to use business class solution like Kaspersky, Norton etc, but I already own a license, and it gives me much more security features than Virus Barrier...

Plus, Kaspersky, as well as the most common out there, they are not tightly integrated like in Windows, I think they run in user space and that's it.
Obviously, if the user is an Admin, it has more permissions but that's it, it doesn't hook the kernel resources like in Windows, even if it has real time protection and phishing protection.
If I'm not wrong, in MacOS the sys internals like Gate Keeper are in charge and they can't be anticipated by some other component.

What do you think?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What do you think?
You've already been told that it is not necessary to run AV software. We recommend DectectX for malware scanning and scannin with virus barrier to get rid of those nasty Windows viruses that may sneak in from other users or emails.

Get rid of Kaspersky, Norton, McAfee, etc. All are worse than the viruses they supposedly protect you from.

OP
C
Reaction score
You've already been told that it is not necessary to run AV software. We recommend DectectX for malware scanning and scannin with virus barrier to get rid of those nasty Windows viruses that may sneak in from other users or emails.

Get rid of Kaspersky, Norton, McAfee, etc. All are worse than the viruses they supposedly protect you from.
If it works they way I described, I'm not worried... I can always disable Real Time scanning, it's something that can go in contrast with the genuine softwares, that's the maximum it can do without approval for file removal.
If I'm right on the way it works, there are very little chances to end up in some bad situation.

Moreover, how MacOS protects me against phishing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
If it works they way I described, I'm not worried...
They don't, be worried. The best advice is Do. Not. Run. Resident. Antivirus. Software.

Does any AV software prevent phishing? (HINT: No.) NO software can prevent stupid.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If it works they way I described, I'm not worried... I can always disable Real Time scanning, it's something that can go in contrast with the genuine softwares, that's the maximum it can do without approval for file removal.
If I'm right on the way it works, there are very little chances to end up in some bad situation.

Moreover, how MacOS protects me against phishing?

"If" it works. With regards to Norton and McAfee, there is a very high level of contempt for those pieces of anti-malware apps in the Mac community at large because they cause a lot of problems and solve nothing. These very forums are riddled with examples of it. I honestly don't know about Kaspersky because I see it mentioned very infrequently, but I do know it's frowned upon.

As for macOS protecting you against phishing? My sentiments are the same as MacInWin. If you don't trust yourself to not click on every random link you get in an email, then you are going to be a victim sooner or later. But let's talk about this anyway. Firstly, you have to understand what phishing is. It's an attempt to direct you to a website that poses as something of value to trick you into entering credentials for a site you use. Could be a fake PayPal site, banking, etc. Safari already has anti-phishing features. If you try to go to a website that is a known fraud, you WILL get an alert. AV software is no better at this.. they don't have any mysterious tech that magically knows if a website is a fraud or potential one... they match to a list of known ones just like Safari already does. So there's that. Now, as part of any sensible internet security, you should be using a good adblocker. And a good one has anti-phishing features also. I use the paid AdGuard for Mac. Great piece of software. Ghostery is another held in high regard. So you SHOULD be double-covered already. Those aside, let's say you get directed to a REALLY clever phishing site that is brand new and no one knows about it yet. Here's where common sense and good security practices come into play: use a password manager. With stupidly strong passwords that you don't know. Not knowing your passwords means you have to rely on your password manger to enter them, and you CANNOT autofill your credentials on a phishing site because the domain won't match what you have stored. Of course you COULD just manually copy/paste your credentials, but at this point you'd just be being dense.

So ask yourself... does it make ANY SENSE AT ALL to have yet a 3rd piece of software screening all your internet traffic? You already have a browser working to protect you and an adblocker. AV software just adds more overhead with ZERO benefit.

OP
C
Reaction score
An AdBlocker is not an AV, which performs more functions:

1. Kaspersky has a feature to hjack your browser and check every link every time you open a page, I know you don't like it and it's questionable, but it's there.
They also have their secure browser (I won't go long in the explanation), but ok, you need to trust it (again)

2. AV can perform network scanning through a series of verification:
- domain
- cert
- cert chain
- If it happens that Javascript makes you download a file automatically (yes, also through Safari), the realtime protection would quarantine the file. This kind of protection seems to go in contrast with xProtect in MacOS, I need to check how Kaspersky is developed...
- An AV can also perform https inspection, though I don't recommend using it, it can be way more risky :D

I see that Safari has a phishing filter provided by Google, is it really effective?

Does it have the common AdBlocker functionalities? Like blocking pop ups? This is the easiest attack vector on a browser and the first most of the times.
I don't think it covers this area.

I'm not a basic user :D , I'm not worried about my mistakes, but certainly I can always make a mistake with less attention.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
1. Kaspersky has a feature to hjack your browser and check every link every time you open a page, I know you don't like it and it's questionable, but it's there.
Reason #1 for not having Kapersky. NO need to hijack my browser, ever, for anything. Just. Say. No.

This kind of protection seems to go in contract with xProtect in MacOS, I need to check how Kaspersky is developed...
What did you mean to say? What is the "in contract" supposed to mean? I doubt you will find anything about how Kapersky is developed. Trade secrets, after all.
Does it have the common AdBlocker functionalities? Like blocking pop ups? This is the easiest attack vector on a browser and the first most of the times.
What is the "it" you refer to? If Safari, it blocks no ads at all, nor popups. But it does block anything that tries to execute any code from Safari. And you can control that with Safari/Preferences/Security where you can have Safari notify you when you are trying to get to a "fraudulent" website and whenever Javascript tries to run. Works pretty well. Nothing is perfect.

OP
C
Reaction score
Reason #1 for not having Kapersky. NO need to hijack my browser, ever, for anything. Just. Say. No.

What did you mean to say? What is the "in contract" supposed to mean? I doubt you will find anything about how Kapersky is developed. Trade secrets, after all.

What is the "it" you refer to? If Safari, it blocks no ads at all, nor popups. But it does block anything that tries to execute any code from Safari. And you can control that with Safari/Preferences/Security where you can have Safari notify you when you are trying to get to a "fraudulent" website and whenever Javascript tries to run. Works pretty well. Nothing is perfect.
I meant "in contrast" :) .
Actually these would not be trade secrets, no secrets at all, in Microsoft world there are even agreements on how these core components are working, Microsoft and the security partners have agreements as such, especially in Windows 10, they re-designed the OS in Apple-style security, which means, from now on we'll try taking care of the OS security instead of leaving it to the partners :D .
Still dind't end up very well :D , but not bad for an experienced user.

Another one is the thing of leaving Windows Defender always active but passive, which could translate in leaving always ON XProtect in Apple, despite you use third party vendors.
If you remove the third party software, Windows Defender comes back in active state, it's very effective by default, it's just that the people do garbage in Windows :) .

It seems that XProtect is always ON, so Kaspersky etc will cause issues with their realtime protection, and it will act always after XProtect, so I agree that it's quite useless for that functionality.
Not useless as a scanner though, network scanner, phishing protection is highly questionable though, coming from a Chrome experience in Windows and all the recent vulnerabilities found, I would not be surprised to see Malwares for Chrome on MacOS, then if it succeds on the OS or not, it's another story.
At that point, we have GateKeeper and XProtect.

I agree on using Safari, but it's not comfortable when you have multiple Google Accounts and you need a separate browser profile to avoid messing up with the bookmarks (example), I hope to find that option in Safari and to trash once for all Google Chrome, even Firefox for that matter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
An AdBlocker is not an AV, which performs more functions:

LOL! As if I don't know this.

They also have their secure browser (I won't go long in the explanation), but ok, you need to trust it (again)

2. AV can perform network scanning through a series of verification:
- domain
- cert
- cert chain
- If it happens that Javascript makes you download a file automatically (yes, also through Safari), the realtime protection would quarantine the file. This kind of protection seems to go in contrast with xProtect in MacOS, I need to check how Kaspersky is developed...
- An AV can also perform https inspection, though I don't recommend using it, it can be way more risky :D

I see that Safari has a phishing filter provided by Google, is it really effective?

I'm not a basic user :D , I'm not worried about my mistakes, but certainly I can always make a mistake with less attention.

Wow. Someone has drunk some heavy duty kool-aid here. I'd love to know just what, exactly, it is that Kaspersky is "checking for" with every link you open. And FYI Safari WILL quarantine certain types of downloads for you to check. I'm also going to point out that I SPECIFICALLY said you should be running a good adblocker, which makes me wonder why you are asking if Safari has common AdBlocker functionality. But to further answer that question... yes. Yes it does block pop-ups. It's a preference that you can fine tune. By default, you can block them on all websites and whitelist certain ones.

Oh, and is Google's phishing filter effective? Can you name a better one? And tell us what actually makes it better? And more to the point... explain WHY it's so necessary given the safe browsing and security practices outlined earlier?

OP
C
Reaction score
LOL! As if I don't know this.

Wow. Someone has drunk some heavy duty kool-aid here. I'd love to know just what, exactly, it is that Kaspersky is "checking for" with every link you open. And FYI Safari WILL quarantine certain types of downloads for you to check. I'm also going to point out that I SPECIFICALLY said you should be running a good adblocker, which makes me wonder why you are asking if Safari has common AdBlocker functionality. But to further answer that question... yes. Yes it does block pop-ups. It's a preference that you can fine tune. By default, you can block them on all websites and whitelist certain ones.

Oh, and is Google's phishing filter effective? Can you name a better one? And tell us what actually makes it better? And more to the point... explain WHY it's so necessary given the safe browsing and security practices outlined earlier?
What AdBlocker is commonly used in MacOS? Do you mean AdGuard?

It's the first time I use Safari, I noticed that it's the way to go to improve security, apart the discomfort underlined before when you have multiple Google accounts, but also Microsoft accounts.

I didn't know that Safari can quarantine downloads :D , interesting, I've never seen a browser doing it in Windows or Linux.
In any case, I'm using VirusBarrier and DetectX, it should be fine for the time being for File System and OS security.
I need to revivew the phishing problem, probably any AdBlocker out there will be sufficient, there are so many that I don't know which one to use :D .

What's your suggestion in terms of additional firewall?
MacOS firewall is pretty basic, another firewall and network monitoring tool will be quite appreciated :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What AdBlocker is commonly used in MacOS? Do you mean AdGuard?

It's the first time I use Safari, I noticed that it's the way to go to improve security, apart the discomfort underlined before when you have multiple Google accounts, but also Microsoft accounts.

I didn't know that Safari can quarantine downloads :D , interesting, I've never seen a browser doing it in Windows or Linux.
In any case, I'm using VirusBarrier and DetectX, it should be fine for the time being for File System and OS security.
I need to revivew the phishing problem, probably any AdBlocker out there will be sufficient, there are so many that I don't know which one to use :D .

What's your suggestion in terms of additional firewall?
MacOS firewall is pretty basic, another firewall and network monitoring tool will be quite appreciated :)

There are lots of ad blockers. Some are a bit sketchy. I already mentioned that AdGuard for Mac and Ghostery are the only two I'd personally trust, although if uBlock Origin was available for Safari, I'd add that. Others here have their favorites.

As for an additional firewall.. why? I responded yesterday to that discussion with links for your reading pleasure. I'm not repeating myself. I don't know that any of us use a firewall. There's no good reason for someone sitting at home on a router to use one. If you aren't at home, well you had best be on a good VPN. If you have a specific use case scenario, that's another thing (running a server, for example). If you are simply bringing old habits from the Windows world... well it's time to rethink your thinking and needs. That said, if you simply MUST have one, look at Murus and their related products. If you want to keep an eye on all internet traffic from every app, look into Little Snitch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Since you are using DetectX, allow me to point out WHY it's so useful, and HOW to use it best. You need to make sure you are using its Folder Observer feature. What this does is watch for changes to the launch folders and if anything does change, you'll get an alert so you can review it. Typically, it'd be something innocuous, like an app update. So why is this so important? Think about how malware works. In order to do their jobs, they need to be able to load up on system startup. If they don't do that, they don't work on the sly. In order to load up on startup, they'd have to add an agent to one one of the launch folders locations. So... let's say there's a new piece of malware that comes along which no one knows about yet and no piece of AV software will be capable of finding. If you happened to be so unlucky as to acquire it, that software will HAVE to add itself to a launch folder to be able to load up even after reboots. There's no way around it. So when something gets added or modified, you get an alert and can investigate to make sure it's legit. This same level of monitoring can be achieved with BlockBlock, a freebie from a reputable developer. They have a long list of Mac security tools that are worth a look.
Objective-See

Reaction score
the only security tools I use if you want to call them security tools on my MacBook Air running macOS Monterey is Adblock plus and the private relay function provided by macOS Monterey . I have NEVER used a security program on any of my Macs, and in fact have informed my work that I do just so I do not have to use their crap windows machines. Do not let my company ever touch my laptop and now working from home 3 to 4 days a week or a coffee shop, they do not get the chance to. when I am not at my desk it is in a locked computer briefcase or with me at lunch.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
Hi,

I understood that it may not be necessary to use business class solution like Kaspersky, Norton etc, but I already own a license, and it gives me much more security features than Virus Barrier...

Plus, Kaspersky, as well as the most common out there, they are not tightly integrated like in Windows, I think they run in user space and that's it.
Obviously, if the user is an Admin, it has more permissions but that's it, it doesn't hook the kernel resources like in Windows, even if it has real time protection and phishing protection.
If I'm not wrong, in MacOS the sys internals like Gate Keeper are in charge and they can't be anticipated by some other component.

What do you think?
I think it's still made in Russia, and I don't trust Kaspersky. We ditched it on our office computers (Windoze) too. I run Avast, just for peace of mind, knowing I don't really need it.

Reaction score
I run Avast, just for peace of mind, knowing I don't really need it.

Running Avast is not at all a good idea:

Avast has been known to install adware and do some other borderline malware-type things:

...and they also spy on you and sell your information:

How to uninstall Avast:

If you really feel that you need third party anti-virus software (and in most cases I don't think that you do), this free product is a good choice:

VirusBarrier Free Edition (free)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@ced89

All of us in these forums respect the individual's liberty to download what they wish; run their Mac and iDevices in whatever manner suits them; and go on to any website of their choosing.

Thus, when we are asked for help or advice, we do just that, based on our collective experience from many & varied backgrounds.

For example, on the matter of AV software, most especially those originally developed for Windows' PCs, the majority vote is to forget about them or discard any already downloaded.

There really isn't any point in entering a debate on the matter. The advice is given. Accept or reject, and move on.

We are volunteers whose only aim is to help people get the best out of their devices.

I suggest that you do your own thing and move on to your next question. That's what we're here for.:):)

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
Running Avast is not at all a good idea:

Avast has been known to install adware and do some other borderline malware-type things:

...and they also spy on you and sell your information:

How to uninstall Avast:

If you really feel that you need third party anti-virus software (and in most cases I don't think that you do), this free product is a good choice:

VirusBarrier Free Edition (free)

Oh my word - thank you! Avast is toast, am removing it, I rescind my advice to use it, and I will download Intego. But I still don't trust Kaspersky.

Last edited:
Reaction score
But I still don't trust Kaspersky.

I wouldn't trust Kaspersky. Apple has actually sued them, and Apple even requested that Kaspersky's Web host take down their Web site.

Kaspersky also has close ties to a known spyware development company.

OP
C
Reaction score
I think it's still made in Russia, and I don't trust Kaspersky. We ditched it on our office computers (Windoze) too. I run Avast, just for peace of mind, knowing I don't really need it.
Avast can't be compared to anything, sorry.
Despite it may be a good AV, the controversial are too high, and again, I still don't know how can I start a comparison with Kaspersky or Norton, these 2 companies are ages ahead.

OP
C
Reaction score
@ced89

All of us in these forums respect the individual's liberty to download what they wish; run their Mac and iDevices in whatever manner suits them; and go on to any website of their choosing.

Thus, when we are asked for help or advice, we do just that, based on our collective experience from many & varied backgrounds.

For example, on the matter of AV software, most especially those originally developed for Windows' PCs, the majority vote is to forget about them or discard any already downloaded.

There really isn't any point in entering a debate on the matter. The advice is given. Accept or reject, and move on.

We are volunteers whose only aim is to help people get the best out of their devices.

I suggest that you do your own thing and move on to your next question. That's what we're here for.:):)

Ian
it's all good, no problem, I got all I wanted, Virus Barrier and DetectX for now :) .
Later I'll implement something else :D , but no Kaspersky or invasive stuff with real time scanning.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.