Just ordered me a new mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 2.66Ghz Core 2 duo, 4GB Ram, 320GB HDD, Geforce 9400m + 9600M GT (256mb)
Hey guys!!

Just ordered myself a new macbook (specs are in profile) and am looking very forward to receiving it, however being a windows user for many many years, im not sure what to expect :confused:

Ive played around in OsX before for a little while but never got to know how to do any of the basics OR what its like?

So help a newbie out here, what am i to expect and can some one perhaps explain the basics?

Cheers :headphone

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Book Pro, 1.83 GHz, 1.5 gigs RAM, 80 GB, AND NO HEAT ISSUES!!
Honestly, try and pretend you don't know anything about computers. Just play around with it and forget your windows instincts.

Reaction score
its very straight forward...

i moved from old school macs (osx 7 and 8) so X was new to me, but concept is the same

its a computer... you click on the harddrive, it takes you to harddrive, then you click on applications and it will take you to the applications... you click on music, it will take you to your music lol

it really doesnt get any easier then that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook @ 2ghz, 1 gig of ram, 100GB HDD
Welcome on board, and congrats on your new purchase.
Honestly, the best thing you can do is play around with your mac, and ask questions.
Don't be sacred of trying things out for yourself.
And most of all have fun.

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers for the welcome :)

I have done a lot of work on windows machines especially building gaming rigs etc but needed a change.

The laptop will be used a lot when on site doing photoshoots so i can present the photos quicker and also used live with the band to record sessions etc :)

Im always willing to try things out but with me being completly new to the OsX, i dont want to go and try something and end up corrupting the install :doctor:

~~ TS ~~

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just whilst on the topic of me moving over on my mac, the default installer for Photoshop CS2 (my windows install), is it compatable for my mac or am i going to have to buy a new version?

My macs going to take ages :(, i got it on finance so i need to wait for:

Paper work to arrive here (3 to 5 days)
Send paper work back (2 to 3 days)
Finance company to tell apple (3 to 5 days)
Apple stores to build order (3 days)
Delivery (3 to 5 days)

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac 2.0 GHz Intel Core Duo, 12" iBook G4 1.07 GHz
TenderSurrender said:
Just whilst on the topic of me moving over on my mac, the default installer for Photoshop CS2 (my windows install), is it compatable for my mac or am i going to have to buy a new version?

No, you have to buy a new version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone
TenderSurrender said:

dohidied said:
No, you have to buy a new version.

Unless you have a copy of windows to install, you will need to buy a new version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro 2.8 GHz/4 GB/500 GB
TenderSurrender said:
...Im always willing to try things out but with me being completly new to the OsX, i dont want to go and try something and end up corrupting the install :doctor:...

~~ TS ~~

Yeah, good luck on corrupting the install! It's pretty hard to corrupt OS X unless you are consciously attempting to do so.

I recommend creating an account called "admin" and give it administrator privileges. Then make a user account for you to use. Then, anytime anything important is going to change, it will ask you for an admin password, so you can make sure of what you are doing.

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
RE: Photoshop CS2 :( aaah well im sure i can find a nice mac alternative for cheaper for now!

Claudius - I usually do that on my windows machines as well, just stops any annoying accidents :)

~~ TS ~~

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Paper work to arrive here (3 to 5 days)
Send paper work back (2 to 3 days)
Finance company to tell apple (3 to 5 days)
Apple stores to build order (3 days)
Delivery (3 to 5 days)

Well good news is, i placed my order monday, today the paper work arrived and ive sent it back to them 1st class meaning hopefully they'll receive it tommorow or friday :)

Working on the theory they receive it friday, the latest i think the mac will arrive will be the 23rd August although who knows, things might be speedier?

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini Mac Intel Core Dou, 2 Gigs RAM, 100 GB hard drive.
If you call Adobe, you can have you license switched to Mac, but you need to take it off your PC.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Macbook Pro/2.66 Ghz/4GB RAM/320GB HD/NVIDIA GeForce 9400 and NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Macbooks rock the planet!! I bought a book "Mac OS X Tiger" - SAMS Teach Yourself. Cost = $34.99 - Information = Priceless. The book even has a section on iWorks. Bookstores are a goldmine of information. Enjoy your Macbook TS

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cheers digitalfish!

Im really looking forward to it arriving but with an estimation of the 23rd August... its SO far away hehe!

Ill have a look into that book at some point, ive got some other "SAMS" stuff, especially for Server2003 when i ran a network for a college (500+ PCS)

And Cheers macdillion, ill look into that :)

~~ TS ~~

T

todd51

Don't forget, if you do have a simple question at all, just come here and use the Search function through the forums, more than likely it's come up before.

If you can't find it through search, then post a new thread, but please search first!

Congrats on the new mac! I'm enjoying the one I got yesterday!

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I dont very often use the search feature on forums since i find it often isnt helpful in finding what your actually searching for :(

Ill bare that in mind though next time i go to start a thread todd51 :)

stupid wait times :(

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White Macbook 2.0 ghz, 80 gig hdd, 1gig ram
Congrats bud, hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us (well most of us) are enjoying ours!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
Congratulations on your purchase. :D

OP
TenderSurrender
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey again guys :)

Do you think i should get anything ready for when it arrives?

Any paticualler software i should download on my windows machine ready for when my macbook arrives?

Is there anything i should read up on about Macbooks which will really help me when it arrives or should it all be self explanitory?

Garrr i HATE these waiting times, 23rd August is the estimated delivery date :(

~~ TS ~~

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | iMac(2.1 G5) | MacBook(2.16 C2D) | MacMini (1.67 CD) | iPhone 4 | iPad (3rd Gen)
I don't think it is necessary to download the software before you get your Mac. Perheps you should look around for some good websites. Here are some of my favourites.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.