Just not getting it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
D
Ice cream man: Playing Yahoo video didn't work for me. Which third party apps did you have to install to get that to work. It'd be a little hard for me to go to an Apple store... the closest one is about 500 miles away.

All issues aside, how can I fix the bloody mouse problem???? I'm typing this on my windows pc at my office, and .... my wrist feels so much better.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, iPhone
BTW MacHeadcase..I love your avatar..for some reason I think it's hillarious lol

Reaction score
Good grief. You guys just aren't getting it.

Forget it. A dozen people have tried to help you and all you're doing is whining. I'm beginning to doubt whether you even own a Mac.

I vote you Troll-of-the-Month.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
Ice cream man: Playing Yahoo video didn't work for me. Which third party apps did you have to install to get that to work. It'd be a little hard for me to go to an Apple store... the closest one is about 500 miles away.

All issues aside, how can I fix the bloody mouse problem???? I'm typing this on my windows pc at my office, and .... my wrist feels so much better.

All I have is the same you would need to play them in Windows; Flash Player (Adobe, macromedia, Shockwave) Whichever you call it, it's a 3rd party player.

http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&promoid=BIOW

And get a mouse for your Apple! Microsoft Mice work great, and most of them are ergonomic. You'll be fine, just put in the effort. And get a mouse pad with a wrist support. And remember even with mice, you are supposed to stretch ever 30 min.

As for changing fonts it's about the same system wide. Except for Safari, use Open Apple-t, (there used to be a closed apple key, this illustrates my age of use) the apple-t combination opens the fonts control in almost all apps. And if you want a different aspect ratio you can always plug it into your old monitor. But I find I like the wide better than the tall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
First windows fanboy I've ever encountered!! Give us a break, fella.

Reaction score
No problem. Give your Mac one more try.

cvx5832: Thanks for the information about the mouse algorithm. I did not know that. If I can't adjust quickly (and adjust back to Windows when I use it), my hand is going to be sore all the time, and this mac is going bye-bye.

Yup give USB Overdrive a try. Play with the acceleration and speed settings. With a Logitech LX7 mouse, I have mine at 140dpi + 20% acceleration and the pointer behaves exactly like my XP work machine.

I understand completely about the sore hand. Using the mouse on the apple's stock acceleration curve tensed up my hand enough to make it sore whenever I used my Mac a while.

All in all, for me, all it took was a change in the mousing experience. Can't stop endorsing USB Overdrive enough - made my Mac PERFECT, and made the transition less painful.

No sense (and probably less efficient) "programming" your hand-eye coordination everytime you switch machines. There's a solution!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15, 1Gb RAM, 100GBHD, 2 Perfoma636CD, Apple, Apple IIe, + 2 PC, XP Pro 64bit, & ThinkPad
My 19" NEC MultiSync 97f run at 1920x1440 off of my MBP. and that's not mirrored, that's dual display.

OP
D
Ice cream man: I HAVE a mouse. I purchased a mighty mouse. It, and my Logitech USB mouse are both doing the same thing. cxx has acknowledged that there is an issue with the mouse motion, but for some reason people choose to ignore that and accuse me of whining.

I don't want to change my existing fonts within the terminal app. I need new ones that aren't installed. Where can I get the vt100 or Lucida Console font from? I searched around online and found places SELLING fonts, but couldn't even find Lucida Console anyway. Never had this problem with windows.

ToddG: Noone has offered a viable solution for the mouse motion problem yet.

I am not going to use USB overdrive, unless you know of a way to get rid of the annoying 'please register me' message on boot.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I remember someone talking about another mouse program like overdrive. It should be here on the forums somewhere. It's supposed to do the same basic thing. Will look around and see if I can find it. I use it stock with the acceleration turned all the way up and it's fine for me on my ibook and my iMac with a Logitech Bluetooth and Mighty mouse.

EditL Try this one. It's universal. Claims to do the same thing as the overdrive one and I don't see anything about $$$.

http://homepage.mac.com/bhines/mousezoom.html

Just tried it. Seems to work.

OP
D
Well, apparently Lucida Console is a commecial font. I won't be getting that as a free download anyware. It's available on Windows - must come with MS Office I suspect. Awesome. NOT.

And I can't find vt100 anywhere.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Well, apparently Lucida Console is a commecial font. I won't be getting that as a free download anyware. It's available on Windows - must come with MS Office I suspect. Awesome. NOT.

And I can't find vt100 anywhere.

You can get office for the Mac. Maybe it would also install Lucidia Console.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.33 Macbook Pro, 2gb Ram, 120gb hdd
"Oh... and I see there's no HOME and END key, and therefore no easy way to quickly go to the start and end of a web page."

There is, its fn and the left or right arrow!

I'm sorry but I've had my macbook pro for a few days now and don't even consider myself a technical expert when it comes to computers but you are being truly idiotic. I mean, did you spend $2000 on a laptop without even looking at a keyboard and seeing it was different, or trying out the OS at least once? What did you expect OSX to be? Purely windows with a different colour scheme? Did you not even research what you were going to be spending what amounts to a lot of money on?!

I mean, what on earth possessed you to buy one in the first place? You seem to have no criticism of anything to do with Windows, so why switch? You obviously havent given it a chance as you came on here to moan about it before even trying to find the information out from yourself. Virtually every question you have asked I have found answers for on the support page on Apples website.

Consider the situation the other way round. If I had been using purely Macs for the last twenty years, then turned on a windows pc for the first time, do you honestly think the OS is good enough that I would know exactly what to do and pick it up quicker than a switcher would to OSX? Without reading any sort of support or help docs?

I honestly don't think so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ice cream man: I HAVE a mouse. I purchased a mighty mouse. It, and my Logitech USB mouse are both doing the same thing. cxx has acknowledged that there is an issue with the mouse motion, but for some reason people choose to ignore that and accuse me of whining.

I don't want to change my existing fonts within the terminal app. I need new ones that aren't installed. Where can I get the vt100 or Lucida Console font from? I searched around online and found places SELLING fonts, but couldn't even find Lucida Console anyway. Never had this problem with windows.

ToddG: Noone has offered a viable solution for the mouse motion problem yet.

I am not going to use USB overdrive, unless you know of a way to get rid of the annoying 'please register me' message on boot.

Oh, just copy the font from your windows machine onto a jump drive, or e-mail it to yourself, and then copy add it into OSX. It easy.

Find the .plist for mouse control and change it

and if you want USB overdrive without the registry popup i suggest you buy it. Isn't that kind of obvious.

And just because there is a computer company that makes computers for normal people, doesn't make it dumbed down. It makes it normal, there are heaps of things in Windows that average people just don't need to know. And just because you don't see it in OSX doesn't mean it's not there.

There are a million ways to tweak OSX. You just have to learn how, and since you seam to want that, then learn it.

I'm looking for the .plist, or whatever I can find to help you change the mouse without a 3rd party program. It's just a matter of using the property list editor, or using terminal to edit a hidden file. I just don't know which file it is yet, because I've never had a problem with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hate double posting but here is the obvious yet again:

I typed into Google, "Lucida Console Free" and here you go,....http://www.webpagepublicity.com/free-fonts/l/Lucida Console.ttf

it installed flawlessly and all I had to do was double click the icon once I downloaded it and hit install in Font Book (which opened on its own)

TRY HARDER!!!!

OP
D
glyndav: You obvously haven't read my posts. I don't understand why to do a page down function, you have to press TWO keys. A moment ago, I was sitting here casually with my left elbow on desk, and I realised that to page down, I was going to have to shift position and use BOTH HANDS to page down a web page. That's INSANE.

Yes, I looked at the keyboard. Given the fact however that there is no color coding on the keys (like with PC notebookss) that indicates you need to press function and page down together, how was I supposed to know? It just not apparent that this is the case.

I guess I got caught up in all the hype. It must be that people don't mind pressing multple keys to do simple tasks.

I have plenty of criticisms of windows, but in hindsight, compard to OS X, it doesn't seem that bad.

Oh.... you found answers to issues like the mouse motion (because tech support had apparently never heard of this), where to get the lucida console or vt100 font, how to get the VPN client not to use the remote gateway, or how to make the teeny little windows controls easier to click on?

I think turning on a windows PC would have been much easier. Everything is right there in front of you. You click an icon... it opens up and it appears on the taskbar at the bottom. You minise it and it disappears into the taskbar again. You click on the taskbar icon and it opens again.

OS X does not have the same flat application display that allows you to find things quickly.

I like the fact that on windows when you maximise a window, it MAXIMISES and takes the full screen. Then, I can easily alt-tab between them. Because OS X doesn't do this, I find myself WASTING time moving and dragging windows around. I don't want to have to make the decisions where windows are placed, and I don't want 10 windows on the screen at once. I want them all to be as large as possible, and I want to alt-tab between them. That's simple, efficient and fast!

I downloaded a windows remote desktop application too. It sucks because it won't go 'full screen' and so my windows desktop running at 1280x1024 has to be scrolled just to get to everything I want... once again, a time waster.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reaction score
Good God. Sell the thing already!

...then you can be very happy when you want to shut down your windows machine and you can click "START"...
rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.