Just my own musings, no more; but anyone else think that 10.8 & .9 will be called...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
OSXi Siiver Cloud

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I doubt that. iOS doesn't offer anywhere near the functionality needed by computer users. It's great for portable devices but I can't ever see it being scaled up to meet the needs of Mac users.

What I feel is they will continue to add IOS features to the OSX desktop for now. After that who knows. It sure seems things are going toward small devices on the net.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
I doubt that. iOS doesn't offer anywhere near the functionality needed by computer users. It's great for portable devices but I can't ever see it being scaled up to meet the needs of Mac users.

iOS and Mac OS X are still essentially the same. iOS has made huge leaps in performance and capability since it was introduced. iOS is where all the work is being done at Apple right now, and Mac OS is getting features back-ported to it.

Here's a prediction for you: Apple will continue to develop both Mac OS X and iOS for some time. We'll see iOS on new form factors, besides phones and tablets. They're already talking about ARM-based laptops. We'll see OS X 10.7 and iOS 5 at about the same time this year, and over the next six years or so we'll blow through OS X 10.8 and 10.9 and iOS 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10.

iOS 11 will be the successor to Mac OS X 10.9.

"If I were running Apple, I would milk the Macintosh for all it's worth -- and get busy on the next great thing."
--Steve Jobs, Fortune magazine, Feb. 19, 1996

OP
I
Reaction score
iOS and Mac OS X are still essentially the same.

Here's a prediction for you: Apple will continue to develop both Mac OS X and iOS for some time. We'll see iOS on new form factors, besides phones and tablets. They're already talking about ARM-based laptops. We'll see OS X 10.7 and iOS 5 at about the same time this year, and over the next six years or so we'll blow through OS X 10.8 and 10.9 and iOS 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10.

Agreed, completely. That's exactly how I see it going too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 i3 27" 16gb Ram
That would be quite appropriate to the 2009 Star Trek movie; where the Enterprise bridge had a very Apple-inspired look to it, while the engine room was a Budweiser brewery! :p

No No No. That was supposed to be the ST Next Generation to go with 10 Forward.

They had it all backwards :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
iOS and Mac OS X are still essentially the same. iOS has made huge leaps in performance and capability since it was introduced. iOS is where all the work is being done at Apple right now, and Mac OS is getting features back-ported to it.

"If I were running Apple, I would milk the Macintosh for all it's worth -- and get busy on the next great thing."
--Steve Jobs, Fortune magazine, Feb. 19, 1996
At the very core, yes, they are very similar. Both are built on Darwin and use Cocoa (albeit different versions). That said, the user experience differs drastically. The interface paradigms are still very different and although they seem to be converging, they're still too different and perhaps they'll never meet. Until you can move large and complex applications to something like iOS, it will likely remain in the domain of what you might call the "ultra portable" (tablets, phones, etc.). It's possible that they could do something like an iOS based SplashTop like product but I can't see it going beyond that.

As for your quote, there's more to it than that: "If I were running Apple, I would milk the Macintosh for all it's worth -- and get busy on the next great thing. The PC wars are over. Done. Microsoft won a long time ago." - If that were the case, given that he said that back in 1996, why haven't we seen any signs that the Mac is being phased out if they had lost 15 years ago? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Until you can move large and complex applications to something like iOS, it will likely remain in the domain of what you might call the "ultra portable" (tablets, phones, etc.).
I agree, but I expect this will happen within a few years. iOS is still very young, as a platform, but Apple is pouring huge amounts of money and engineering resources into iOS. It won't stay small for long.

As for your quote, there's more to it than that: "If I were running Apple, I would milk the Macintosh for all it's worth -- and get busy on the next great thing. The PC wars are over. Done. Microsoft won a long time ago." - If that were the case, given that he said that back in 1996, why haven't we seen any signs that the Mac is being phased out if they had lost 15 years ago? ;)
He wasn't even an Apple employee when he said that. And he said he'd milk it for all it's worth; obviously, it's still worth a lot. But fifteen years hasn't made a dent in Windows' dominant position, despite arguably having a far superior OS and a huge marketing campaign.

iOS, on the other hand, has a fighting chance. It's the only real player in the tablet market, and the one to beat in the phone market. Apple knows a winner when it sees one.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.