Just bought a new MacBook Air m1 model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 m1 MacBook Air , iPhone XR product red, 2008 iMac, Apple Watch 1st generationiPad 8th gen
I just bought a new MacBook Air m1 model, its 256gb ssd and 8gb ram in the gold colour. Only have used it for about 30 minutes now and the performance difference between my 2015 MacBook Air and the new m1 MacBook Air is amazing. Looking at the ports, they look like they are both usb c ports, wondering which one is used for charging?

Anything else I need to know about the new m1 models? I don't use Microsoft Windows at all, so not too worried about that, but like sleeping, and powering off is basically the same as the older models with the intel chip or different?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Both USB C ports can be used to charge it. Treat it like any mac when it comes to sleeping and powering off. One difference between the M1 and the intel? The M1 will run cooler!

Lisa

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2020 m1 MacBook Air , iPhone XR product red, 2008 iMac, Apple Watch 1st generationiPad 8th gen
I very seldom actually turn off my iMac, unless I am going out on the road, I am an owner operator so I am gone at least 4 days a week, but when I am home I just let it go to sleep. likely won't be shutting the MacBook Air off hardly at all since it will be with me in my truck with me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sweet! The MB Air M1 should be perfect for on the road. I assume you will be using it with a hotspot or free wifi. Nice.

Lisa

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yeah, I have the T-mobile thing like the Verizon jet pack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just got the M2000 from T-Mobile for home. I live in a very rural area and the T-Mobile hotspot is faster and cheaper than Satellite internet which about all we have in my area. I love it and it is perfect for just me and my husband.

Lisa

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just got the M2000 from T-Mobile for home. I live in a very rural area and the T-Mobile hotspot is faster and cheaper than Satellite internet which about all we have in my area. I love it and it is perfect for just me and my husband.

Lisa

Awesome.

I also hear you can use iOS apps on it, just wonder how? I have radarscope for weather radar and it would be cool if I didn't have to purchase the Mac version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, Mac Mini (late-2012), 13" MBP M1, 27" iMac 2020, iPad Mini, iPhone SE, 4-Apple TVs, AW6
I went with the MacBook Pro M1, but the ports are the same (I believe). I grabbed this adapter so I can use older USB devices and use the SD cards from my cameras. It's nicely built and snaps into place perfectly. You can find this on Amazon or B&H.

Oops, the URL I was going to post links directly. If you buy this, use the Amazon link above and look for Anker PowerExpand Direct 7-in-2 USB C Adapter.

A83710A1_TD01.jpg

Reaction score
Awesome.

I also hear you can use iOS apps on it, just wonder how?

Almost exactly like you install and use any Macintosh app, except that you can only download iOS apps directly from Apple.

Reaction score
..Looking at the ports, they look like they are both usb c ports...

Those ports are physically USB-C connectors, but they use the Thunderbolt protocol. This becomes important if you are one of those folks who would like to attach your MBA to a larger monitor while you are using it at your desk at home or at the office. When you go to get an adapter to attach your video cable (usually HDMI, but sometimes DisplayPort or mini-DisplayPort) to, a "USB-C to whatever" adapter won't work. You will need an adapter that supports Thunderbolt.

However, any USB-C to USB-A adapter should work fine to allow you to use USB-A devices.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's good to know, in the event I decide to purchase a usb hub for it.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So far, course I have only had it a few hours, I really like the new MacBook Air. Didn't really think there could be a laptop much faster than my 2015 MacBook Air unless I spent a small fortune. I think I will enjoy bringing this laptop with on the road especially for the mandatory 10 hour rest periods, It looks like it will be a pleasure to use. At least I won't be tied to being close to an ac power source either in a truck stop or in the sleeper plugged into the inverter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I just got the M2000 from T-Mobile for home. I live in a very rural area and the T-Mobile hotspot is faster and cheaper than Satellite internet which about all we have in my area.

Just curious, but does it allow you to use their 5G speed to/from your home location???

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes it does if I take it up in my bedroom where there is a 5G signal. It will latch right on! Speeds are decent but not great. Downstairs I get LTE which, for now in my area is actually faster than 5G. I am thrilled with LTE as it is way faster than my HughesNet connection.

Supposedly they are continuing to upgrade the towers around me so I am always hopeful!

Lisa

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mine does too at truck stops in range of 5g

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can move the 5G hotspot where ever you want to and it will work. If 5G is available it will connect. I can take it to work where we have a strong 5G signal and it will pick it up and work just fine.

Lisa

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So far I am quite impressed with this laptop. Got it Friday late afternoon, charged it Friday night while I was sleeping, used it off and on all day Saturday and today, still has 45% battery remaining. Unbelievable. I will be plugging it in to charge tonight, but 2 days of use is awesome. It also is at least 2 or 3 times faster than my 2015 MacBook Air. Apple built a rocket ship with their m1 Mac's.

Reaction score
Either port can be used for charging. Before you need to print, try printing.That was my biggest problem. Some printers work, some do not.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just tried my printer and to my surprise it actually worked and actually printed faster by wireless printing than my intel MacBook air does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I just tried my printer and to my surprise it actually worked and actually printed faster by wireless printing than my intel MacBook air does.

Nice, and good news, but are the details of the make and model available for those who may be thinking or wondering of going in the same direction???

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.