Just bought a gig of memory

Reaction score
sorry to hijcak the thread, but my query seems relevant to what is being discussed here. Currently my MacBook has the stock 512mb in it (I assume as 2x256mb chips). It is painfully slow at times when I have more than 1 or 2 apps running, so I am looking to upgrade the RAM as a matter of priority.

I'm looking to get 2x 1Gb sticks to max out at 2Gb of RAM, but was wondering if I can phase this upgrade. ie, can I buy 1x 1Gb stick at the moment and use it with one of the existing 25mb chips, giving me 1.25Gb (roughly!) of RAM, or must the sticks be matched - ie 2x 256mb or 2x 1Gb?

Tim, it sounds like this is what you have done. Am I right, and is it possible?

Apologies again for jumping in to this thread half way through!

OP
mac747
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.2GHZ Macbook Pro - 4GB RAM - 500GB HD
Supposedly it is possible. I'm afraid however to upgrade memory in these macbooks now because of what just happened to me. I know its paranoia and a lot of other people have done this successfully, but I'm still afraid... :eek:neye:

On a side note, Apple balked after 6 conversations with them. They said since I bought from an authorized reseller that I have to go thru their distributor for a return or exchange and Apple could only repair their macbook. I called American Musical and they could not have been MORE helpful. Within 3 minutes I had a brand new macbook being shipped to me with absolutely no questions asked.

I wasted about 7 hours on the phone with Apple and the only thing they could do was repair the 16 day old macbook. I spent 3 minutes with AM and am getting it replaced at no charge. I have the new macbook in my hands as I type and am sending the old one back tomorrow when I get the RA in the mail. Now THAT is customer service.

AM Rocks!

Tim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
^That does sound very nice. I am nervous about my MacBook coming. I havent had any problems with my iBook, but I am wondering about all the alleged MacBook problems. I also want to install my own ram. I hope Im ok.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 933 quicksilver (2001) 1.5 gb ram, 300 gig hd. Macbok 2.0 duocore2 1 gb ram 13 inch white 120hd
wow ur gettin the run along on this one.. sux

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.