Itunes library hasdisappeared

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I have just opened what I thought was iTunes on my Mac running Ventura in order to backup my iPhone. However, not only is this now Apple Music but my entire iTunes library has disappeared. So first question is where has it gone and how do I recover this library which contains (contained?) mush irreplaceable tracks.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
This might help:

Just enter Ventura where it shows Sonoma.

And if you ever want to change where your music files are stored:

Again substitute Ventura for Sonoma.

Ian

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Thanks for that. With a bit of (unnecessary) work I found that I needed to import my iTunes library into iMusic but Apple did not exactly make it easy to find that information. I'm worried now that there may be other less used features/apps that I relied on but have since disappeared so am increasing reluctant to update my computer.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I'm worried now that there may be other less used features/apps that I relied on but have since disappeared so am increasing reluctant to update my computer.

If you come across any such, let us know. We'll try to help.:):)

Ian

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Thanks for that. With a bit of (unnecessary) work I found that I needed to import my iTunes library into iMusic but Apple did not exactly make it easy to find that information. I'm worried now that there may be other less used features/apps that I relied on but have since disappeared so am increasing reluctant to update my computer.
Well, in defence of Apple they, and others did make it fairly easy back in 2019 when iTunes was split up into Music, TV, Podcasts, Audio Books ect and the Finder was given the task of syncing your iPhone/iPad/iPod.
This happened when macOS Catalina replaced Mojave 5 years ago. There was a myriad of articles at the time like this one; Apple Kills iTunes: Everything You Need to Know as it did cause quite a flutter amongst users at the time.

OP
Sawday
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks Rod. Back in 2019 I was still happily using my previous iMac which still had a working iTunes so as I had no immediate interest in upgrading this article past me by.

Interestingly, the above includes the following :
"When the new Apple Music app replaces iTunes in the fall, all your purchases will transfer over. Like you do on iPhone, you'll open the Apple Music app on the Mac, where you can find songs you've bought. If you imported CDs and created playlists in iTunes, they'll be there too"

Fine. Except that my imported CD collection did not transfer over. I had to search for them and import them!

Last edited:

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Yep, I lost some CD's as well. My wife hated the Talking Books in Books and now only imports Audio Books into Music. Lots of people complained about all sorts of issues and rightly so. It was around then I started looking for an alternative to the Music Store and now use Spotify exclusively. I added all my old iTunes tracks to that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac running Sonoma. 1TB SSD, 16 gigs RAM. iPhone 15 Max Pro, iPad Air
I had a major issue with the Music Store, to the point that I discontinued the service. All my music is on my iMac now with a backup on an external drive. Without the Cloud connection, I'm now able once again to synch my library to both my iPhone and iPad.
One word of caution if trying to copy your library to an external drive. DO NOT use the export function as shown by Apple. Your library will no longer be on your computer. Trying to import it back is useless and you then have to manually move the libraryr thru Finder, which is a royal PITA.

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
trying to copy your library to an external drive. DO NOT use the export function

Indeed that is correct because "Export" means "Move". Almost all of the sites that deal with this talk about "Move", although some do say "Export".

Finding advice on "Copying" the Music Library is difficult. This Link, a YouTube one, discusses this:

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.