iTunes 12.7, WARNING!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Warning!

If you update to iTunes 12.7 (latest update released today), it will remove all the mobile apps that you have stored on your Mac. And likewise it will also remove all your custom ringtones that you have stored on your Mac.

It appears that Apple will no longer use iTunes to sync your apps or ringtones to your iPhone or other iOS devices. Until we learn more about what is going on with the new version of iTunes, it is adviseable to remain at version 12.6.

It would also be wise to make a copy of all your mobile apps and ringtones that are stored on your Mac and move them to a separate folder, one that you can use as a backup just in case.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Time Machine works for that still, doesn't it?

Are you sure the Mobile Applications folder is not in your iTunes folder, just not showing in itunes? I was aware they are removing the App Store from iTunes, must be something along those lines.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Not sure if Time Machine can restore the mobile apps folder to an area that no longer exists. And yes, the iTunes app store has been removed from iTunes 12.7. However, you can access it from your iPhone or iPad.

Here is the location of the mobile apps: Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Mobile Applications/

And here is where ringtones are stored: Macintosh HD/Users/your user name/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Tones/

How are you going to restore an iOS app that is no longer available from the iTunes app store if you don't have a copy of it?

This in my opinion is a bad move on Apple's part. However, I'm sure it has to do with their not wanting older 32 bit apps hanging around for iOS 11.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
The stance seems to be that you now use your iOS devices to download apps and no longer download them in iTunes and then sync them. So all iOS app management is being moved to the iOS device itself. So my question would be if the iTunes backup of your iOS devices is still present since free users of iCloud would likely not have enough space to store everything on their iOS devices..

Technically, I've stopped using iTunes to download/sync apps a long time ago anyway, so that isn't a feature I'm going to miss, it's just not having to redownload everything if I switch phones or want to restore a backup for some reason..

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I forgot to mention is that all your previous iOS apps that have been downloaded or purchased should show up in your iTunes App Store app under "Purchased". You can specify either "All Apps" or "Not on this iPhone". I just checked and it does show all my apps except for those which are no longer available such as the Mac-Forums app.

What concerns me is what happens to all my custom ringtones? What if I reset my phone due to a problem? How do I get my custom ringtones back to my iPhone if I can no longer sync them with iTunes? How about custom wallpaper?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks for that info Charlie. I usually jump on iTunes updates soon after they are released and don't have big problems. Think I'll hold off on this one a bit. I need to better understand what the best way to deal with this going forward.

Better figure this one out before the Sunday chat. Looks like this one warrants one of my don't blame me if this messes up your world warnings.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Apple releases iTunes 12.7 - suspect a lot of people will not be happy

Apple 's latest version of iTunes will not please a lot of people.

For example: the App Store is no longer included in iTunes and you can now only download apps directly to iOS devices. As you will not be able to sync apps via iTunes, it means that if you have multiple iOS devices, you’ll need to download apps to each device separately.

And what about restoring an iOS Device if there is a problem? As far as apps are concerned, you will need to re-download them all on to your iDevice rather than syncing them through iTunes.

For those of us with a third party app such as iMazing, or maybe iExplorer, it should be possible to continue backing up your iDevice to that app and restore all content from the backup including your iOS apps - I hope!

I have taken this information from a few sources, but the "best" is, perhaps, this one: https://www.kirkville.com/apple-releases-itunes-12-7-removes-app-store/

Ian

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I started a thread on the same subject earlier today; but clearly not in the right place!!

Rather than copy/paste it here, which possibly violates the rules, here is the link: tp://www.mac-forums.com/ios-and-apps/343026-apple-releases-itunes-12-7-suspect-lot-people-happy.html?highlight= (outdated link removed)

And here is a very reasonable article on the subject which was one of the sources I used: https://www.kirkville.com/apple-rele...ves-app-store/

There are many repercussions, some of which are not immediately obvious. Personally, I think this a real mess. But I have iMazing which should help. I mentioned that and restoration problems in my thread.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad Mini2 32GB, iPhone6 64GB, Watch Sport 42mm Black, iPad Air 2 128GB
That link doesn't work Ian - Page not found :(

Edit - oddly enough it works in your other thread :)

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ian:

Not a problem. I moved your post here and combined it with the ongoing thread we had on the same subject.

Charlie

IWT

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you very much, Charlie.

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I think removing the iOS device management out of iTunes is a very good move on Apple's part. Most people upgrade their phones frequently enough, it's iTunes and (really macOS) that they don't upgrade. However, newer versions of iOS on the newer iDevices require newer versions of iTunes which require newer versions of macOS and if your Mac can only run up to a particular version and it's been fine for you, suddenly you're in a dilemma to either get a new Mac or return the iDevice.

Since all the management of the iDevice can be done entirely on it these days, the artificial tether to iTunes is unnecessary.

Of course, there is still the backup issue that need be addressed, custom ringtones/data, and dealing with those people who hold onto specific versions of an App or iOS for one reason or another. I'd have to say that the number of people who do that is pretty small (likely the loudest right now)..

But from a pure user acquisition proposition, having an Apple device be standalone and not dependent on another Apple device for operation is a good thing. I know MANY people who have never synced their phones to iTunes on a computer.

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have come up with some additional information regarding the new version of iTunes (12.7):

1. It will not remove the mobile apps from your Mac. They will still remain in place. Keep in mind though, that any 32 bit iOS apps will no longer work with iOS 11.

2. Apple has since provided instructions on how to manually move items from your Mac to your iOS device: See the following Apple KB article Titled "Changes in iTunes". The support document (see link) shows how to manually move ringtones and other things to your iOS device.

I suspect Apple is getting hit with a barrage of complaints regarding the removal of the App Store from iTunes. There is a 24 page (at last count) thread over at MacRumors regarding this issue. And the overwhelming majority of replies are outrage and complaints.

Perhaps the Tim Cook gang will think over what they have done with the new iTunes?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Looks like this article might address some of the concerns I had initially but they have certainly created a lot of confusion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have come up with some additional information regarding the new version of iTunes (12.7):

1. It will not remove the mobile apps from your Mac. They will still remain in place. Keep in mind though, that any 32 bit iOS apps will no longer work with iOS 11.

2. Apple has since provided instructions on how to manually move items from your Mac to your iOS device: See the following Apple KB article Titled "Changes in iTunes". The support document (see link) shows how to manually move ringtones and other things to your iOS device.

I suspect Apple is getting hit with a barrage of complaints regarding the removal of the App Store from iTunes. There is a 24 page (at last count) thread over at MacRumors regarding this issue. And the overwhelming majority of replies are outrage and complaints.

Perhaps the Tim Cook gang will think over what they have done with the new iTunes?

Just coming into this thread and not sure what are my best options? iTunes on my MBPro (where I keep my iPad Air 2 backup + also in iCloud) has already updated to the newest version - I do not have an iPhone - also I just made an iPad backup and looked at the directory folder mentioned previously (screen capture below) - seems my *.ipa files remain there - SO, my question is where to go from here? Will take a look at the links - this kind of 'bit me in the rear', I must say - Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-09-13 at 8.56.57 PM.png

OP
chscag

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Dave:

Those *.ipa files are not going to be able to be used to sync apps back to your iPad or iPhone. The only way now is to open the iTunes App store on your iDevice and go to the "purchased" option where you can either select "All" or "Not on my iPad or iPhone". Any purchased app that you do not currently have on your iPad or iPhone will show up as a small cloud symbol. Which means you can download it again.

As far as backups are concerned, since you have iMazing you can continue to make backups to your Mac. I'm trying to determine if iMazing can do what iTunes used to do and that is be able to sync apps back on your iDevice. I suspect that if it doesn't, the developers will soon add that function.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
No more iOS App Store in the iTunes update!

According to OSX Daily Sept 13; "The new version of iTunes adds support for iOS 11 while simultaneously removing the iOS App Store from being included in iTunes. Additionally, iTunes 12.7 removes the ability to sync iOS apps and ringtones on an iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch via iTunes on the desktop. Instead, Apple wants you to manage and download iOS apps from the iPhone or iPad itself via the native iOS App Store application."
I know there will be heaps of opinions about this move of Apple's to focus iTunes on music, movies, TV shows and Audiobooks rather than allowing desktop level syncing of iOS apps.
I for one will miss being able to organise home screen apps on a big screen.

The ability to load only the apps needed from a library of apps stored on my mbp.

Updating apps via OSX where internet reception is not so good leaving the existing versions still useable on your iOS device.

Which beggars the question is there any point in keeping the iTunes library folder containing all my mobile apps?

Will backups via iTunes save our apps or will we need to download them all from the App store all over again after a Restore? This could be another reason to use the already rather handy iMazing app.

I'm sure there will be other implications and opinions on this one but it would be a good idea to make sure your house is in order before applying this update.

I believe that although the update is to prepare for the immenent High Sierra upgrade the existing iTunes version will work with iOS 11 that may change, OSX Daily states;It’s worth mentioning that iTunes 12.6. is currently compatible with iOS 11, though that may change when the final version of iOS 11 is released to the public on September 19."
So turn off your auto updates now if you want some breathing space before the plunge.
I know I'm going to do some housekeeping first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
@chscag, in one of the articles above, it shows how to manually sync apps and tones to your iphone, while connected to itunes, it's drag and drop easy, according to the "kirkville" article linked by Ian in post #8, I believe.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.