It froze? What?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
I came up to my computer after my sister said the computer is frozen. I said "what? Those computers don't freeze" and sure enough when I came up to the computer, there was an MSN window open and the pinwheel of colors twirling around and wouldn't stop. I couldn't click anything. This when one for a while and I tried some shortcuts on the keyboard, i dont know if there were any for closing programs or what, so I just restarted the computer using the power button. I am on an Intel iMac.

Why did it freeze? Aren't these supposed to not? What else could you do except wait or just restart - anything?

Thank you!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Beemer said:
I came up to the computer, there was an MSN window open and the pinwheel of colors twirling around and wouldn't stop.

Those **** dirty apes!

If CMD+Option+ESC doesn't work (force quit) you could be waiting a while. I also leave Activity Monitor in my dock for such occasions. It's the ctrl+alt+delete > task manager of windows. You can sometimes force quit problem apps from there. If there's a universal binary of MSN for download you might want to try that version. Assuming the one you're using is a PPC version.

You may as well hold the power button in to do the deed. If you can't do either of the above steps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Beemer said:
Why did it freeze? Aren't these supposed to not?
EVERY kind of computer will crash, freeze, lock up, crap out, falter, fizzle or otherwise just plain not work at some point in time or another. No one manufacturer or OS is immune to this. Why would you have any reason to believe otherwise? Computers are complex machines but they are not infalible.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel 20" Mac
D3v1L80Y said:
EVERY kind of computer will crash, freeze, lock up, crap out, falter, fizzle or otherwise just plain not work at some point in time or another. No one manufacturer or OS is immune to this. Why would you have any reason to believe otherwise? Computers are complex machines but they are not infalible.

I got that information from the apple website looking around I belive in teh OSX section. Maybe I just translated it wrong or something. I am not bashing it or anything, just was mislead.

Thank you MacsWork on the tips.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.