Issues with new printer

Reaction score
My machine is an older mac with OS Sierra version 12.12.6 I recently had to replace my printer with a Brother J1215W. It does work but sometimes I need to disconnect the printer and reconnect to get it to print. Also can not find a way to scan files to my computer. In trying to download new drivers Brother says it does not support my older OS. Are there other options for drivers that will work ?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are there other options for drivers that will work ?
If it's just for the scanner, there is a third party driver available but it's not free.

If you're looking for plain printer drivers for your Brother, you're out of luck. Either update your version of macOS (you may need to buy a newer Mac), or continue with what you have.

And.... Welcome to our forums.

Reaction score
For better reliability, try deleting your printer's setup in System Preferences, and re-adding your printer's driver from scratch.

As an alternative way to scan, try using the built-in app called "Preview", which provides scanning support for most printer/scanners.

Assuming your printer/scanner is on, place a document on the scanner bed and then go to:
Preview -> File -> Import from (the name of your device should complete the option)
That should open a scan window that offers a few basic options for the scan along with the Scan button.

Also, you may have a printer/scanner which uses Wi-Fi. In this case you select the menu item File->Import From Scanner->Include Networked Devices. That will scan the Wi-Fi. network. You can now go back to the File-> Import From Scanner menu and look for your scanner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The problem he's having is that the Brother site (the one you mention above) does not have drivers for his version of macOS. The earliest they offer is for macOS 10.14.

If he removes the printer software and tries updating thru the system (as suggested) he may wind up with no drivers or at the best a generic driver.

I also checked the GIMP site for drivers for his printer and there are none. He can get a driver for his scanner or try Preview as suggested by Randy.

According to his post above the printer is working somewhat. It might be best to leave well enough alone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My machine is an older mac with OS Sierra version 12.12.6 I recently had to replace my printer with a Brother J1215W.

The problem he's having is that the Brother site (the one you mention above) does not have drivers for his version of macOS. The earliest they offer is for macOS 10.14.

Hmmm... This is what I get and see at that site and it looks pretty compatible to me...

Screen Shot 14.png

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Patrick, his version of the OS is 10.12, not 12.x. Yes, he said "12.12.6" but that version does not exist, and he also referred to "Sierra" so the reading was that he intended to say 10.12.6, which IS a valid version and NOT listed on the website.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hey Patrick:

He's not running Monterey (macOS 12), he's running Sierra. No drivers for Sierra are listed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know if this would help:

And then there's always this:
Brother Printer Drivers 4.1.1 for macOS

But I don't think I would hold my breath waiting for any success... 😇

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Hey there!

I am Mark Daniel, a worker in industry from New York.

I have a Canon PIXMA sublimation printer. That is very fast, secure, reliable and economical
printer. But I had some problems with my printer when I connected to WiFi or other compatible devices. He does not work properly or sometimes shut down. Please tell me how to fix this problem.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Welcome to the forums.

We need to know a bit more about the problems you are having. It would help to know which version of the operating system you're using, exactly which Pixma model you're using, and what problems are occurring.

Any other details you can provide about your setup would be helpful.

krs

Reaction score
My machine is an older mac with OS Sierra version 12.12.6 I recently had to replace my printer with a Brother J1215W. It does work but sometimes I need to disconnect the printer and reconnect to get it to print. Also can not find a way to scan files to my computer. In trying to download new drivers Brother says it does not support my older OS. Are there other options for drivers that will work ?
I have always used Image Capture to scan no matter which All-in-One printer I have used over the years, never gave it a second thought. Have you tried that?
As to occasionally having the disconnect and reconnect the printer - do you mean disconnect & reconnect the USB cable? I need to do that with my Epson as well, I think that is more of a USB connection issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do a hard reset on your printer. ... ...

I just thought I should mention that you are replying to an almost year old post...

I would hope the OP got their printer problems sorted out by now.

Just thought it should be mentioned, it's an old post you are referring to.

Anyway, welcome to Mac-forums.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.