Isolated or common problem with Zagg?

OP
S
Reaction score
I would get a replacement from Zagg. This time, before you install it, first wash your hands (to remove any oils on your skin). Then, lightly dampen a paper towel with some ammonia-free glass cleaner or rubbing alcohol (not sopping wet, just damp) and clean the phone thoroughly.

Then install the InvisibleShield as directed. My guess is you have some kind of contaminant that doesn't agree with the kit.

That is exactly how I did the two original shields and the front replacement that bestbuy gave me. I was very meticulous about the installation. In you experiences, do the shields harden and adhere to the phone. Can you do me a favor, and see if you can move the shield around on the phone by applying pressure to it?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
That is exactly how I did the two original shields and the front replacement that bestbuy gave me. I was very meticulous about the installation. In you experiences, do the shields harden and adhere to the phone. Can you do me a favor, and see if you can move the shield around on the phone by applying pressure to it?

Well, I had one on my MacBook Pro, but never on an iPhone.

I can tell you that on the MBP, once it cured (about 24 hours), it was fixed in place and couldn't be moved without peeling it off.

What did you use to clean it during the prep process? Maybe it had a component that was incompatible with the Zagg fluid.

OP
S
Reaction score
What did you use to clean it during the prep process? Maybe it had a component that was incompatible with the Zagg fluid.

I used a few drops of water (zephryhills) and a microfiber cloth to clean it. I guess I should've just paid the $13 ripoff for the bestbuy guy to put it on. Atleast they would have to figure out why it wont harden to my phone. Oh well as soon as I can get my hands on an Otterbox or Ballistic HC, I will get two replacements and sell them.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I used a few drops of water (zephryhills) and a microfiber cloth to clean it. I guess I should've just paid the $13 ripoff for the bestbuy guy to put it on. Atleast they would have to figure out why it wont harden to my phone. Oh well as soon as I can get my hands on an Otterbox or Ballistic HC, I will get two replacements and sell them.

That's likely the issue. You need something that will cut the grease/oil that's accumulated on the surface of the phone. That's why I recommend rubbing alcohol or a mild glass cleaner.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
In you experiences, do the shields harden and adhere to the phone. Can you do me a favor, and see if you can move the shield around on the phone by applying pressure to it?

After about 3 hours it's adhered fine to the phone to the point I can use it lightly while it finishes curing. After the 12-24 hours, it doesn't move at all.

OP
S
Reaction score
After about 3 hours it's adhered fine to the phone to the point I can use it lightly while it finishes curing. After the 12-24 hours, it doesn't move at all.

Thanks man. Maybe I'm just expecting too much after paying $29 for it. I dont think it will last much longer on my phone. I would probably never noticed how stretchy they seem if it hadnt fallen off monday.

OP
S
Reaction score
Stopped into At&t today and they had a demo Ballistic HC case there. Needless to say, I ordered one. It should be at the store in 2-3 days. That thing is rediculous, but thats what I need to protect my phone. These Zagg shields will be returned to bestbuy in the next couple days. I took my phone out of my pocket to show the guy at At&t and the front was falling off in the top corner AGAIN!!! Wierd thing is I was just at bestbuy 15 minutes prior talking with a wireless salesman about the shields and he commented how well they were installed, and I am not the first one he had come in with problems with them and the IP4. At bestbuy, It was not falling off at all and was in great shape. Oh well I tried Zagg and it didnt work out for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...

The screen cover never "hardens." The gel always stays as a gel. It's what gives the cover that soft absorbing feature. The key to having it stick well is to NOT use it while the liquid(mixture of alcohol and water) dries. The higher the alcohol, the easier it is to apply. The ratio of water to alcohol is 9:1. Heat can soften the gel adhesive, too much rubbing(a lot of force/contact) can weaken the bond(when it is freshly applied), and not allowing it to sit after applying it will just ruin it. The best thing to do is to let is sit next to a window after applying. Here a simple test you can do to know if it is completely ready to use. With your nail, gently/lightly run it across the screen. If it easily creates a line, it's not ready. A screen that is ready should not let you draw that line unless you use more pressure. There's a reason this costs so much on cars.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.