Is this 4.2 update some kind of a joke or what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'm so glad that I didn't update this version...sucks how some apps require 4.2...but I LOVE KISSING CHICKENS..it's some apps.

It ain't worth getting update for few "special" features.
3.2 is the way to go.

It would be worth it to hear you complain more about things of which you have no first-hand knowledge though... :|

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm so glad that I didn't update this version...sucks how some apps require 4.2...but I LOVE KISSING CHICKENS..it's some apps.

It ain't worth getting update for few "special" features.
3.2 is the way to go.

Yeah, sucks that some Apps want to take advantages of new features and capabilities of the newest iOS. Silly developers, how dumb are they anyhow, what with making their Apps compatible and all.

Have fun making out with your chickens though....

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 12 MBP 8gb ram, Crucial M4 SSD 512gb, Sandy Bridge i7
I don't mean to be facetious, but this has to be the most unnecessarily complicated upgrade I have ever done. There is no guidance, just my Ipad doing extremely strange things. Why is it not just a simple load? What could I possibly be doing wrong? Right now, I'm syncing from my MBP. I have a black screen on the Ipad with a silvery apple logo in middle and a load line underneath it that is filled perhaps to a third and doesn't seem to budge. No instructions, no indication of what's going on or any sort of time frame. I don't get it. If this is called "ease of use," I have to wonder about something that would not be user friendly. Any encouragement out there. I've got one turkey in the fridge already. I don't need a second one connected to my MBP. Help.

Fortunately, I discovered that even though I lost the icons during the update process, that the Ipad remembered them. So, I reloaded the ones I remembered I had and all is well now.

My original concern still stands that the upgrade process needs to be more clear than it was for 4.2.1 so that these kinds of pitfalls and confusion can be avoided in the future.

Reaction score
Fortunately, I discovered that even though I lost the icons during the update process, that the Ipad remembered them. So, I reloaded the ones I remembered I had and all is well now.

My original concern still stands that the upgrade process needs to be more clear than it was for 4.2.1 so that these kinds of pitfalls and confusion can be avoided in the future.

Well..i just updated..unfortunately because some of the apps that i need happens to require 4.2. It's alright so far...however..I noticed some strange stuff with my apps. For example, i have task pro whatever program and whenever I update my task..it lags like crazy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
For example, i have task pro whatever program and whenever I update my task..it lags like crazy.

Maybe it hasn't been updated for the latest release. That would be somewhat ironic I think....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Reaction score
It really boggles my mind. $50-$60 worth of apps is not a life and death issue, but really, what gives? I'll tell you one thing - Apple's not losing any money on this deal.

Do these do dads really make life better or just cause new headaches? The Ipad itself is just another major distraction, much less having to deal with an obnoxious update.

I'm afraid this episode has aroused some buyer's remorse for me. The 3G is the only thing that makes the Ipad truly worthwhile... at least to some degree.
1) the update process was as simple as always, a progress bar is pretty standard these days, not sure what you found difficult

2) if you find technology "do dads" like the iPad to be a major distraction in your life, well, that's your choice. I'm sure somebody along the way found a baseball glove to be a distraction from plowing a field. Do dads like the iPad are tools, you can use them to be distracted in an unproductive way if you choose. But you can also use them to be productive for work or social life or even to be distracted in a pleasurable leisure way like reading or learning. I can hand mine to my 3 year old nephew and watch him learn new things right before my eyes. I don't think a baseball glove will teach him Spanish. :)

Sounds like you were dead on with one thing. You have buyer's remorse. If you're looking for reasons to justify that remorse, well then i guess you can blow a 30 minute plug'n'play automatic update into a big deal.

If I were you, I'd sell all my distracting do dads and I'd certainly get off a web forum discussing distracting do dads. And get back to enjoying life. It's way too short to be unhappy. :)

Cheers!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Updated my ipod touch last night with 4.2. Just discovered that all my music and podcasts have been deleted. What's that all about?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 4Gb RAM, 1Tb Time Capsule. iPhone 3GS, Macbook
The 4.2 update has also caused chaos with those of us who link to their car radio via the USB mode. I can't now restore to 4.1 for some reason, the system keeps blocking me. :Grimmace:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
And in this link it quite clearly states that

"* Updating your device does not affect user content or settings."

So does deleting all your music not count as 'affecting user content' then?

Did you read the link I posted?

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
And in this link it quite clearly states that

"* Updating your device does not affect user content or settings."

So does deleting all your music not count as 'affecting user content' then?

It doesn't delete any of it. Only looks as if it has. You can verify that by looking at the content of the device in iTunes. Admittedly though, there is some kind of flaw in this update that causes the content that's there not to appear.

Even easier than re-syncing is to just to play a song or video that is on your device from within iTunes. Some have had success with just playing a song. One of my devices, playing a song didn't work and I started a video from the phone's content. iTunes flashed a sign that it was syncing for about 1 second and closed. I stopped the video after about 5 seconds. Everything was then seen - no re-syncing necessary. It is pretty strange.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I had not checked my iPhone 3G. Sure enough, I opened the iPod app and no music. Did what Schweb's URL said and bingo. Took maybe 30 seconds.

Reaction score
I had a problem updating my dad's iPad. It got stuck updating and I had to re-download the software from Apple.
For some reason, only a couple of the apps synced to the computer, so I had to re-download all of them after the update. I don't know why they didn't properly backup.
I definitely had more problems with this update than I've ever had in the past, and I've been in it since the original iPhone.

I've jailbroken every device I've had and still never had this many problems.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Did you read the link I posted?

I did and it fixed it. The point is though that it should not have done this. Isn't it Apple that says "it just works"?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did and it fixed it. The point is though that it should not have done this. Isn't it Apple that says "it just works"?

Software has bugs sometimes, to think otherwise is being completely unrealistic.

This is hardly a big issue, I don't understand why you're acting like it bricked your device? It took what, 30 seconds to fix it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"This is hardly a big issue"

This is true but I discovered it half an hour into a four hour car journey expecting to be able to use my ipod to play music through my car stereo. So no music there or on way back. So that would be 30 seconds and one day to fix. One day too late!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
The issue isn't the files not showing up. The issue is the timing of when you updated - just before a long car ride. Who's fault is it you didn't inspect your phone after updating? A quick, 10 second look-through would have showed no music and as soon as you plugged it back into your computer to see what's going on, iTunes would have synced and you would have had everything back immediately.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.