Is there an advantage to Chrome I should know about?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Van, what do you think of Opera's interface? You can make a lot of stuff show up in Opera. I do see your point though with the 13" screen and too much clutter.
It could use some work but it gets the job done. I do however remove all unnecessary clutter from the UI upon each install.

Reaction score
also, the ad banners can be disabled by using extension is Chrome. I don't like putting any extensions on Safari but chrome is the way to go if you are just browsing...

OP
GratefulMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
E-2011 MPB 13" i5 2.3GHz 8GB RAM OSX 10.7.1 iPhone 4 iPod Classic 160 GB
OK, I've tried Chrome again for a bit, and do have to admit that it is "faster". However, it is not so much so that I care. Also, I truly do like the integration Safari has with the OS as a whole, particularly the "Show Top Sites" feature and the two-finger page scrolling. I'm sticking with Safari, except for FireFox when I need to use Download Helper to get music that I archive. Thanks for the responses, I ave learned a lot from you all. You all rock, and may Miley Cyrus smile upon you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 MBP 15" I7 2.3 Ghz 16 GB Ram 500 GB SSD Retina
To each his/her own, of course. But in my view, Chrome is little more than Safari repackaged. It uses the same rendering engine (WebKit) and a slightly uglier and less functional UI (which is saying something, because Safari's UI is pretty ugly and non-functional). Bookmark management is horribly underdeveloped in particular. For that reason alone, I've pretty much abandoned it.

Personally, I prefer Firefox to all the other browsers out there. I am once again on a "I'm going to force myself to use Safari, because it's just so darned fast" binge at the moment. But I'm growing weary of Safari's less-than-capable password management (for example, it won't autofill certain fields), but I'm not irritated enough yet to drop $40 on 1Password. For now, I'll deal with a bit of extra typing.

Is there some "killer feature" that makes Chrome desirable? Not on the Mac (IMO). On Windows, yes, but only because Windows Safari is not all that well done. Compared to more resource-heavy browsers like IE and Firefox on Windows, it's lightweight and a speedy performer. So, it definitely had its advantages there - just not so much on Macs, where we already have a fairly well done WebKit-based browser.

I agree with this view. In Windows my browser of choice was FF. And actually it was FF while I was in Leopard. However since Lion came onboard and Safari became a new, faster browsing experience I have used Safari exclusively. I see no reason to move to any other browser.

I have Windows 7 in a VM on my computer and have not tried Safari in Windows I still use the FF brand. I'm not sure how Safari would work in the Windows environs.

Pat

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have Windows 7 in a VM on my computer and have not tried Safari in Windows I still use the FF brand. I'm not sure how Safari would work in the Windows environs.

It does alright but I have to admit I would rather use Opera, FF, or even (gasp) IE when running Windows. When running Linux, FF is my browser of choice.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It does alright but I have to admit I would rather use Opera, FF, or even (gasp) IE when running Windows.
I agree with chscag - Safari is a fine browser on the Mac but could use some work on Windows. Last time I used Safari in Windows, it needed some love. I will admit though that I haven't tried 5.1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.