Is there a way to just mark a single individual unread forum subject as read?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
As the subject says, on a page of subjects on the forums pages, Is there a way to just mark a single individual unread forum subject as read?

I know there is one to Mark all listed subject threads as read, but I'm wondering if there is an option I cannot find that allows one to just mark a single subject as read without opening the whole thread or changing the condition of any other subject?

Thanks for any info as to where the feature is if there is one.

- Patrick
=======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Patrick,

Yup there is. Click on the "Forums" button on top to go to the main menu and any sub-forum that is bolded has unread threads/posts. Click on one of them and then the "Mark read" button. A pop-up will appear asking you if you want to make a specific sub-forum as read, say Yes and then move onto the next one.

A manual process though.

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yup there is. Click on the "Forums" button on top to go to the main menu and any sub-forum that is bolded has unread threads/posts. Click ...

Thank you for your fast reply Ashwin, but I don't see anything close to your description when I follow your directions.

If and when I click on a subject it opens up into a new window will make it appear as Rread when I go back to the actual Forum list have fun when I reload that page.

What I was hoping for was for the subject to just get marked as Read without actually opening the message (it opens into a new page on its own if I click on the unread message) or reloading or refreshing the list page. It then gets marked automatically when I go back to the particular forums page, but I was trying to avoid that step to get it marked as read.

I don't know if it'll help but this is the web page I normally see and my apologies if I misread your directions and misunderstood what I was supposed to see:

Screen Shot.png

Thanks,
- Patrick
=======

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You are looking at the "New Posts" link which is showing you unread posts/threads across all sub-forums. So here, you only get the option of marking the entire forum as read.

Instead, click on Forums on the top most bar next to Members, Articles. This will take you to the home page of the forum with the sub-forums listed. Click on any of the bolded sub-forums and you'll see the "Mark read" button where you see "Mark forums read" in your screenshot along with "Watch".

As I said, you have to jump to each sub-forum and make them as read.

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Click on any of the bolded sub-forums and you'll see the "Mark read" button where you see "Mark forums read" in your screenshot along with "Watch".

As I said, you have to jump to each sub-forum and make them as read.

Thanks again Ashwin, but I don't see any "Mark read" button when I click on a bold subject thread using this method, and as for your last comment just above, even if it did work, it's more of a cludge workaround than a nice simple method I was wanting to just Mark a separate thread subject to as Read.

Thanks for your help and suggestions even if it's a bit more involved than what I was wanting.

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
When you click on the Forum (sub forum), you don't get this button?

Screenshot 2023-11-19 at 1.21.05 AM.png

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks again Ashwin, but I don't see any "Mark read" button when I click on a bold subject thread using this method, and as for your last comment just above, even if it did work, it's more of a cludge workaround than a nice simple method I was wanting to just Mark a separate thread subject to as Read.

Thanks for your help and suggestions even if it's a bit more involved than what I was wanting.

- Patrick
=======
Not bolded subject, but bolded sub-forum..

When you click on the Forums button, you should see this..
SCR-20231119-jiff.png

Now, you can see that macOS - Operating System and macOS - Desktop Hardware are both bolded indicating that there's unread content in there. I click on macOS - Operating System and see the following..

SCR-20231119-jihs-2.png

Note that the specific sub-forum I select is shown and the Mark read button is available.

You are still operating under the New Posts section.

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When you click on the Forum (sub forum), you don't get this button?

Nope, I don't see that option but normally I'm viewing the Forum list page using the New posts viewing option.

But thanks for the suggestion and question.

- Patrick
=======

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Note that the specific sub-forum I select is shown and the Mark read button is available.

Nope, as I explained to Bob above I don't see that option even if I try using it as you explained but I seldom use that viewing option and prefer to view the list page as New posts, and that option doesn't exist there.

Not the end of the list world options, I'll just carry on as I always have which means if I want to Mark a separate individual subject as red, I must open it and then go back to the New post page and refresh the page which will then Mark the previous read pages as already read.

But thanks for the help and suggestions, all were appreciated. But maybe I will try experimenting with various viewing options in case I have been overlooking a better method for my viewing use.

What I was attempting to do and hoping for was a method to just Mark individual posts I wanted to ignore in the New post listing page with a single click and to unbold them without having to open each one and then refresh the New post page. And it seems that such an option just does not exist under these circumstances.

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
prefer to view the list page as New posts, and that option doesn't exist there.
That's because New Posts, covers all forums and sub forums.

I always use the New Posts view as well, but every now and then there will be a forum that has a post by one of the "bots" that I don't follow. It's those forums I will go into and select the mark read button.

OP
pm-r
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
but every now and then there will be a forum that has a post by one of the "bots" that I don't follow. It's those forums I will go into and select the mark read button.

That's a good suggestion.
But I basically do this same thing just by marking all listings as read when there's nothing new that I'm interested in or know about and that's increasing almost daily as I cannot and don't use any of the latest macOS versions and many of their new features that apparently exist for some others to use.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.