Is the Magic Keyboard the Only Compatible One for iMac 2017?

Reaction score

I have a flat keyboard first out in 2007 and purchased in 2011 +/-. I wore out the original one which came with my iMac 2009.

I prefer the wired version rather than the wireless. Unless Apple has improved the wireless version from its previous models where the batteries didn't last long. I'm a writer and go through keyboards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Use the keyboard you are most comfortable with. You can always use the wireless one if/when needed.

OP
W
Reaction score
Is the Magic Keyboard wireless? I looked on the Apple site and it says it maintains a charge for a month yet it comes with a USB cable. So no batteries? Confused.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Only the wireless ones have a battery.

The wired keyboard has a USB connection to your Mac and one or two USB outputs which are low-powered and best suited for low demand devices. The wired KB also has the extended layout; the wireless one is smaller.

Of course you don’t have to use Apple keyboards. Plenty of others available.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
It actually comes with a Thunderbolt cable for recharging. The earlier wireless keyboard uses AA batteries.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I'm using version 2 of the wireless keyboard. Harry is right. it comes with a charginng cable that is USB on one end and a lightning connector on the other end. The loghtning connector is the same one on every iPhone since I think version 5. It usually gives me plenty of warning that the battery is getting low. I can usually finish the day and plug it in at night when I am not using the keyboard. There are two things I really like about that keyboard:

1. For me I get about 3 to 4 weeks of use between charge sessions. When it needs charging it only takes a few hours.
2. In a bind I think you can use it as a wired keyboard by plugging it in. Can't say for dead certain but I think it works while charging. I usually don't let mine go all the way down.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
In a bind I think you can use it as a wired keyboard by plugging it in. Can't say for dead certain but I think it works while charging. I usually don't let mine go all the way down.

It works while charging and is in effect a wired keyboard during that time. I like my wireless rechargeable keyboard better than the battery operated wireless keyboard, but overall I like the wired version with the USB 2 hub best. I still have two wired keyboards with the USB 2 hub. A version one model (2008) and a version two model (2011).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan

No.

Use the keyboard you are most comfortable with. You can always use the wireless one if/when needed.

+1. Agree.
And that includes Apple's and other compatibles like Matias keyboards which are also excellent.
https://matias.ca/products/

PS: I've never ever even noticed the USB cable that's used with my old Apple aluminum wired USB extended keyboard and I've also never had any battery problems with it either. ;D

- Patrick
======

Last edited:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Apologies to the OP. I seem to have mislead you in my post #4.

Ian

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The Matias models definitely stand out from other third party keyboards and are well worth the investment. And since they also include a low power USB 2 hub, you can connect a printer or mouse directly to the keyboard freeing up one of your USB 3 ports on the back of the iMac. Nowadays most printers are wireless but there are still some older models like my HP LaserJet that is USB only.

Backlighting is great if you work in a low light area and keep the screen brightness levels down somewhat. The 2017 27" Retina 5K iMac has a very bright screen which if you have sensitive eyes can be a problem. Keeping the screen brightness low requires better vision for the keyboard. That's where a backlighted keyboard is worth the extra cost.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I've had my eye on the wireless version of that backlit keyboard since it was announced that it would be coming out. I like the idea of backlit keyboards for the lighting reason that you mentioned Charlie. Up until now I've had to choose between wirelss or backlit. Now I can have both. When funds permit of course.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.