Is the Mac Pro 2008 & 2009 end of life?

Reaction score
I noticed that I cannot download any further OSX updates past 10.11.6 it seems that Apple has decided that a still capable 3.2 GHZ 2008 dual processor Mac is not worthy of software support. After spending a fair bit on PCIE SSD and extra RAM this is not a rewarding position to be in. The 2009 Mac Pro in the same boat...... Sierra cannot be downloaded.

As a 10 year Mac user I hate to say it but with no sign of an update to the over hyped "Trashcan" released in 2013 and the viability of the Mac Pro platform in doubt I am facing a dilemma: Is it time to switch to Windows 10 as there is no viable Mac upgrade path to get into serviceable extendable modern technology.

I am not a fan of Windows but at least you get economical access to fast motherboards, CPU's and graphics cards. But I know the compromises are in the OS(!)

It is sad that Apple seems to have lost in way in supporting the needs of professional end users as the current focus appears to be only high volume/high profit consumer goods.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's a 2008 computer...it's 8 years old...that's a pretty good run for any computer. No one says you have to run Sierra on it...keep running it with El Capitan (no problems).

Eventually all Apple computers reach a point when they can't install the latest Mac OS...just the way it is. Do you REALLY think you're the first Mac owner to own an Apple computer that can't install the latest OS??

Your 2008 Mac Pro shipped with Mac OS 10.5 (Leopard)...and could install OS version's all the way up to El Capitan. That's SEVEN different OS versions. That's pretty darn good.

Just keep running your Mac Pro with El Capitan. You'll get at least 2-3 more years out of your Mac Pro!:) By that time your 2008 Mac Pro will be 11 years old...which is like 500 years old in "people years"!;)

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
It's a 2008 computer...it's 8 years old...that's a pretty good run for any computer. No one says you have to run Sierra on it...keep running it with El Capitan (no problems).

Just keep running your Mac Pro with El Capitan. You'll get at least 2-3 more years out of your Mac Pro!:) By that time your 2008 Mac Pro will be 11 years old...which is like 500 years old in "people years"!;)

- Nick

Hi Nick point taken and agreed.
But..... the real issue is will Apple provide the much needed Mac Pro re-vamp?

If only Apple would provide a modern "grunt" machine with modern GPU's,replaceable graphics cards, fast RAM , ultra fast ssd and thunderbolt with the same flexibility we are used to in the previous generation?:)

**** they could even re-introduce the old Mac Pro case and call it the "Mac Pro Classic" range as a parallel offering.
IMHO it still looks magnificent even after 10 years and importantly, the Classic Mac Pro would provide the flexibility and serviceability missing from the Trashcan design.

I know - it won't happen!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But..... the real issue is will Apple provide the much needed Mac Pro re-vamp?

Well as you know Apple did release the 2013 "Trash-Can" Mac Pro...thus this is the re-vamp like it or not.;)

If only Apple would provide a modern "grunt" machine with modern GPU's,replaceable graphics cards, fast RAM , ultra fast ssd and thunderbolt with the same flexibility we are used to in the previous generation?:)

Every computer model Apple now sells is less upgradeable than the same model was back in 2012...and MUCH less repairable by a DIY owner:

- retina MacBook Pro's have soldered in RAM...but luckily the storage is now replaceable/upgradeable (it wasn't at first). But very expensive.
- 21" iMac's have soldered in RAM...and both 21" and 27" are very difficult to open to do any repairs.
- MacBook Air's (except for the 1st generation)...are not upgradable after purchase.
- Mac-Mini's now have soldered in RAM.
- New version MacBook's are non-upgradable.
- New Mac Pro. RAM is upgradeable. Storage is upgreadable (but expensive). Video cards are "sort of" upgradable. If a new Mac Pro came with the entry level video card that Apple offered...the video cards are removeable & can be upgraded with a better video card that Apple offered. But again...VERY expensive.

If you enjoy having an upgradeable Mac Pro...AND...want to run the latest MacOS. My advice is upgrade to a newer version (but old style) Mac Pro. A 2009, 2010, or 2012 version. You can easily get a 50% increase in performance...and if you went for a 12-core model...you could double your performance...while still retaining all the upgreadeability you enjoy with your current Mac Pro

**** they could even re-introduce the old Mac Pro case and call it the "Mac Pro Classic" range as a parallel offering.
IMHO it still looks magnificent even after 10 years and importantly, the Classic Mac Pro would provide the flexibility and serviceability missing from the Trashcan design.

It's not a bad idea (for those of us that like having a fully upgreadeable "old-school" computer). Problem is there probably just isn't the volume to make something like this a profitable venture for Apple. Apple is in business to make money (like any business). If projected costs exceed projected profits...not a viable project.

As far as a 2008 Mac Pro not able to run Sierra. Hey...it's an 8 year old computer. If Sierra wasn't the cut-off point for a 2008 Mac Pro...then it would have been the next OS release or the one after that. Eventually all computers will not be able to run the latest OS.

- Can a 1984 Apple computer run Sierra...no.
- Can a 1990 Apple computer run Sierra...no.
- Can a 2000 Apple computer run Sierra...no.
- Can a 2006 Apple comouter run Sierra...no.
- Can ANY Apple computer before 2009 officially run Sierra...no.

Unfortunately no matter how many years a user gets out of a computer...no one likes that their computer can't run the latest OS. And the first reaction is to get upset about it. But we need to "get real"...this is the natural way of things. Time for a new/newer computer!:) Or keep using what you have running El Capitain.:):)

- Nick

OP
W
Reaction score
- Can a 1984 Apple computer run Sierra...no.
- Can a 1990 Apple computer run Sierra...no.
- Can a 2000 Apple computer run Sierra...no.
- Can a 2006 Apple comouter run Sierra...no.
- Can ANY Apple computer before 2009 officially run Sierra...no.

Unfortunately no matter how many years a user gets out of a computer...no one likes that their computer can't run the latest OS. And the first reaction is to get upset about it. But we need to "get real"...this is the natural way of things. Time for a new/newer computer!:) Or keep using what you have running El Capitain.:):)

- Nick

Hi Nick - the difference here is that in IMHO the 2008 3.2GHZ dual Mac is still reasonably modern and with PCIE SSD and 32GB of RAM.capable of most tasks. Definitely not ready for the chopping block.

if a 2008 mac Pro is capable enough to run Windows 10 as a VM - what precisely is the technical reason for its exclusion from the Mac equivalent OS?
Apple has provided no explanation..........(!)

It seems to me that the decision is commercial rather than technical - "bean counters" have simply decided to force older Mac Pro users to upgrade.
And they know most Mac Pro users have invested heavily in OSX software apps and other Apple devices such as phones, iPad's and iCloud ..... which makes it hard to change to the Windows world.

I guess I am starting to revolt against the company philosophy of "Customer Entanglement" into high cost "shrink wrapped products" that can't be serviced by users and must be disposed off when Apple decides.

Meanwhile I'll bat on as you suggest with the "old girl" and El Capitan!
But I may also build a PC "grunt machine" just to see what the dark side has to offer in 2016.:Mischievous:

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi Nick - the difference here is that in IMHO the 2008 3.2GHZ dual Mac is still reasonably modern and with PCIE SSD and 32GB of RAM.capable of most tasks. Definitely not ready for the chopping block.

I agree. A 2008 8-core Mac Pro has plenty of horsepower in it...and certainly would still out perform many newer Apple models.:)

if a 2008 mac Pro is capable enough to run Windows 10 as a VM - what precisely is the technical reason for its exclusion from the Mac equivalent OS?
Apple has provided no explanation..........(!)

The reason a 2008 8-core Mac Pro is not Sierra capable isn't due to not enough horsepower...it is something technical. There is certainly something missing in the 2008 Mac Pro design (logic board probably) that Apple came up with later on (in at least 2009, 2010 models and newer).

Just like when the 2006 and some 2007 Mac Pro's were limited to OS 10.7.5 (VERY shortly after they were released)...due to 32 bit EFI. This was like maybe in the area of only 2-3 years after they were released. You got 8 years out of your Mac Pro before it couldn't run the latest OS.:)

It seems to me that the decision is commercial rather than technical - "bean counters" have simply decided to force older Mac Pro users to upgrade.

Unless you know the exact reason why 2008 Mac Pro's are not able to run Sierra...I'm not sure you can say this. I'm sure Apple would have included 2008 Mac Pro's if the hurdle (whatever it is)...wasn't too high.

Again...it's not about computing horsepower in this case. It's certainly something about the logic board design that precludes it from running Sierra properly.

I guess I am starting to revolt against the company philosophy of "Customer Entanglement" into high cost "shrink wrapped products" that can't be serviced by users and must be disposed off when Apple decides.

You're arriving to the revolt a little bit late:( All the cake, soda, and beer have been consumed...and the dancing girls have gone home!;)

The revolution started about 4 years ago...and not many people showed up. The cake was stale, the soda was flat, the beer was nasty...and the dancing girls were well past their prime!!!;)

I agree. Apple computers now are much less upgradeable than they used to be. But when it came to iMac's, MacBook's, MacBook Pro's, and Mac-Mini's...all we REALLY could ever do is upgrade the RAM and upgrade the hard drive anyway. And other than 1st generation MacBook Air's...we could never do anything with them. Been this way since 2006. And most models have become less servicable since about 2012.

The ONLY Apple computer that's really been truely upgradeable & serviceable since 2006 were the original style Mac Pro's. And because of cost...not that many Mac-User's owned them.

Meanwhile I'll bat on as you suggest with the "old girl" and El Capitan!

Good plan!:)

But I may also build a PC "grunt machine" just to see what the dark side has to offer in 2016.:Mischievous:

Go for it!:) But if you like the Mac OS...and hate Windows 10. You'll be back!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The 'cut off' of the Mac Pro, like other models, seems to be those with optional Airport Extreme cards are out, and those with inbuilt cards are 'in' for macOS Sierra. Apple started the trend of restricting user upgradability back in 2009/2010. A great example of this is the heat sensor on the hard drive on iMacs. Replace the original drive with any other model, and the fans take off like a jumbo jet. Yes there were fan control softwares to get around this but imho fan speed is the last thing one needs to throttle.

I have no doubt there will be 'hacks' made available to run later systems on your Mac Pro. Head on over to MacRumours.com as they seem to go in for this style of hacking. Of course there is always the chance one can turn one's Mac Pro ino a door stop.

Reaction score
What about security updates

I have a 2008 iMac. I cannot upgrade to Sierra. Is there a security risk to running banking and other financial transactions using el Capitain? I really do not want to have to buy a new Mac just because my perfectly fine iMac has reached its 8th birthday. Thank you..

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Dear swissimac this thread has been about hardware more than about software. Online risks are about operating systems that do or do not continue to receive security updates from Apple. This support has been discontinued for Snow Leopard OSX 10.6.8 and Lion OSX 10.7 but not later OS's which include Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan nor is there any indication that they would in the foreseeable future. So you are safe for now and probably until the end of your laptops' lifespan.

Sent from my iPhone using Mac Forums

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.