Is the iPhone that great?

Reaction score
I've had mine for a week and a half and love it for the most part...there are a few minor issues but it is by far the best phone I've ever owned. Looks like great things are coming with OS 3.0.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.4GHz; iPhone 16GB
The new iPhone OS 3.0 announced March 17th will have: cut and paste, MMS (pictures, etc in text), landscape keyboard in all applications, and much more. Go to the Apple site and watch the second half of the video announcement (the first half is all about the developer kit, blah blah).
Soon your iPhone will have all of those things you wanted (except video....)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Aluminum unibody MBP, Intel core duo 2.4GHz proc, 4MB DDR3 RAM,
I couldn't live without my iPhone, to be honest. It doesn't leave my side, ever. The issues you've listed will be dealt with when OS3.0 comes out in the next few months. However, I will say this: I really thought I'd miss MMS and copy/paste, but I didn't. I rarely used copy/paste on my Blackberry and MMS....well, there are work-arounds and anyone that can send MMS to you can easily just substitute your email addy instead of phone number so you can receive it that way.

I've had a MotoQ and it sucked. WinMobile OS was terrible, IMHO. I've had a Blackberry and it felt like the most cumbersome smart device I'd ever used. I work for an IT company that uses mostly Palm or Windows Mobile for their smart devices (I turned mine in and opted to get reimbursed each month for my iPhone data plan). There are 4 of us that have the iPhone and out of everyone in the company (about 20 people), we're the only 4 who have no complaints about our smart phones.

But sure, I guess I could see it not being for everyone. Wait, nope. No, I can't! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" Macbook Pro 3.06Ghz 7200RPM 500gb
you can get forwarding apps now in Cydia. Just Jailbreak it and there are several apps in to be had that will forward reply and list messages like normal phones. Or just wait for 3.0 and the iPhone will have everything that every normal phone has had for years. I love my iphone tho, despite its shortcomings.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I agree ...I dont think I could live without mine. The only time its not being used is when I am using the new Macbook I bought after 18 months of the iphone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!
Is the Iphone OS 3.0 a update or another phone?

OS 3.0 is an update for any current iPhone owners. At the same time of its release though, this summer, it's rumored that a new iPhone will also be released which is why you're probably hearing both things in reference to this.

Reaction score
Is the Iphone OS 3.0 a update or another phone?

It will be a free update for every phone version 1 and 2 (and the new version 3 that will be out in June/July).

If you had V1 (which you dont) you wont get MMS or stereo bluetooth but you will get everything else.

If you cant wait, you can jailbrake your phone like I did and you can get copy paste, forward texts, landscape text, MMS and more. But if you can hold out you might as well wait a few more months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac, 4GB RAM, 1TB HD, OS X 10.6.6, iPod Classic 160GB, iPhone 4
I love my iPhone. True, I do wish at times that I could get and forward pics with text messages but whoopdee-do. OS 3.0 will fix that and include cut and paste and I can wait till that happens. Email, safari, iPod more than make up for it. I sort of regret not spending another 100 bucks and getting the 16GB model.

The camera on this phone is unbelievable.

My fav APPs include stocks, maps, weather, Yo Mama, iBeer, Moviefone, Carpenter, Fastlane, Yelp, TMZ, Zippo Lighter, flashlight, Whitenoise, and I think my new favorite will be MLB.com with instant scoring updates from all of baseball.

My only real complaint would be battery life.

Reaction score
The new OS fixes pretty much all my dislikes of the iPhone. If they get them a video option, nothing will come close to it IMO. I LOVE the apps.

Reaction score
iPhone is great only after it's Jailbroken. It opens it up to so many possibilities and applications. Add Backgrounder to make it multitask and Clippy to add in the missing cut and paste features. I use the iPhone as a weekend phone, but for business use the HTC Touch Pro is the best to have.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.