Is the Apple TV hardware dead?

Reaction score
Its just a thought. I was using my quite old Apple TV box but when the Apple TV app became available on our LG TV, I started using that. Picture quality looks identical to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Nope,

OP
N
Reaction score
Nope,

But wouldn't it be logical that if your smart TV can run the Apple TV app, then why would you want another piece of hardware? Unless you either don't have a smart TV, or the TV doesn't have access to the Apple TV app. Surely the market for the Apple TV hardware will decrease?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
But wouldn't it be logical that if your smart TV can run the Apple TV app, then why would you want another piece of hardware? Unless you either don't have a smart TV, or the TV doesn't have access to the Apple TV app. Surely the market for the Apple TV hardware will decrease?

Not necessarily, I've generally found the Smart TVs to be quite slow and cumbersome and something that is going to go out of date very quickly but you aren't going to replace the TV for that. My 2011 Samsung Plasma is a smart TV and has some of the streaming apps I use, but the interface is so slow and annoying that I use my Apple TV for all of my streaming needs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Plus, the Apple TV works on ANY TV with HDMI, or even just inputs that have available converters from HDMI. Not everybody has a brand new smart tv.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 Mac Mini Quad i7 16G 2TB SSD ; 2008 MBP 2.94GHz 4GB/500GB SSD
Its just a thought. I was using my quite old Apple TV box but when the Apple TV app became available on our LG TV, I started using that. Picture quality looks identical to me.

I've got a projector, so there's no "smart app" here regardless (there IS an AppleTV App on my FireStick 4K, for example). But the real ATV 4K has Dolby Atmos support for just about everything that supports it. I don't think the smart app version even does 4K output, let alone Atmos. There's also gaming support and other apps that you may or may not have versions for Smart TVs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.

The Apple TV "device" doesn't exist just for the Apple TV "app". There's an entire ecosystem available that's not there on your "smart" TV. Heck, the device existed long before the app did. Of course, if the TV can do everything you want it to, then have at it and skip the box. I would. But for me, it doesn't. Even for apps available on either device, for me the experience on the ATV is MUCH MUCH better, even if just by the more robust remote controls I have available to me via my Harmony remote.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.