Is my MBP trackpad broken?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP - 2.7 Ghz, Intel Core i7, 8GB RAM.
Something terrible has just happened to my other-wise fine MacBook Pro (2006). Any use of the trackpad and clicking gets the cursor stuck in highlight mode. It renders me useless! How can I fix this? Or is this a known bug?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's a better description:

The trackpad of my 2006 MacBook Pro has seized working correctly. It seems like it's stuck in a "permanent click" mode. For example, just moving the cursor via trackpad will highlight everything as it moves across the screen and I CAN'T get out of this. I'm forced to restart and use my USB mouse.

Is there any way to fix it? The only catalyst I can think of was installing Caffeine and then quitting the app after a few days.

Reaction score
can you change the pad to tap mode? what happens when you do this? can you use 2 fingers to scrol on yours etc?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model: Macbook; Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (2.4GHz); RAM: 2GB (DDR3); Video memory: 256MB
How do I get into tap mode?

I guess you have already tried this, but just to be sure:
go to system pref, then trackpad and then check tap to click. So, next time when you want to click at something, a gentle one-finger tap should be enough (tap twice to double click).
Please report back if that worked.

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I guess you have already tried this, but just to be sure:
go to system pref, then trackpad and then check tap to click. So, next time when you want to click at something, a gentle one-finger tap should be enough (tap twice to double click).
Please report back if that worked.

As someone suggested on the Apple forums, it's a swollen battery (due to excessive heat) that's pressing up against the trackpad. Apple said back in 2006 they'd replace, but it's been three years and I bought it off eBay without a warranty. What are my options? Free replacement or buy a new battery off eBay? How do I make sure a new eBay one isn't also defective?

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cursor buggy using trackpad

I just got a 2007 Santa Rosa MacBook. When using the trackpad only, the cursor gets a little buggy. Some symptoms:

- It feels stuck at times and also bounces around/convulses if I let it sit on a link for more than a few seconds.
- As I scroll to click on something, the cursor will go up and then down and then finally get close to the proper positioning.
- The worst part is scrolling: While holding the scroll bar with the mouse and scrolling down a page, it lags and then once it catches up it jerks around to find my spot.

So, is it too sensitive or a bug? I've updated all my software. I've even gone into the Trackpad preferences, changed speed, and unchecked pretty much everything possible. Is there any other way I can fix this?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.