Is my iMac Special?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
so i was doing some research because i was going to sell my iMac. I have a white 17" 1.9GHz PPC G5 Superdrive 160GB HDD and 2.5GB memory. everytime i did a search on ebay or craigslist i only got non-isight imacs and most of them claimed 2.0GHZ PPC G5 processors or new aluminum imacs. so what gives? have a got a rare computer or are they so great no one wants to give one up? does anyone know a suggested retail price for it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Look up your iMac G5 here and see how much it's worth.

Regards.

OP
fearlessfreap24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
chscag- thanks for the link

pigoo3- those aren't even close

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
pigoo3- those aren't even close

What do you mean they are "not even close"?

You said in your original posting that whenever you look on e-Bay all you can find is "non-iSight" iMacs. Both of the examples I listed are G5 iSight iMacs...what you said you couldn't find! I never said that they were exact duplicates of your iMac...but they are G5 iSight iMacs (17" screen).

Also...I do not claim that these two auctions are good examples of how to value your iMac...again they are two examples of what you said you couldn't find on e-Bay. If you want a valuation...go to Mac2Sell - Guide to used Mac & iPod.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You have the 17" version of my G5 iMac. I own the 20" version. Yours and mine are the very last iMac G5's. They put in the iSight camera, upped the CPU. Yours is 1.9Ghz and mine 2.1Ghz. They also changed the design with the front that comes off instead of the back. I's just like the Intel iMacs that came out right after our models did. Then also changed the RAM from two sticks to one DDR2 stick with 512Megs soldered to the Logic board.

It's really not a special iMac except for the fact it was the very last G5 Power PC one made and very different design from the older G5 iMacs. Also like I said the design was exactly the same as the Intel iMac when it came out except for the new Intel CPU and board.

Sadly FF if you check Mac2Sell even the iSight last gen G5 iMacs are not worth very much anymore. Keep checking ebay as I have seen them go for a lot more there.

Also to Nick, that first URL is wrong. The iSight model 17" did not use AGP graphics. It was PCI Express. I should know as I am typing on the 20" version of FF's iMac G5. It also used a Radeon X600 PCI-E video card and not the older AGP one on that listing. Also the one in the listing uses DDR RAM. The iSight G5 is DDR2 and ONE stick.

The 2nd listing is FF's iMac G5.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Also to Nick, that first URL is wrong. The iSight model 17" did not use AGP graphics.

You're right the the e-Bay description is bad/incorrect.

I trusted that the sellers title was correct...but looking at the photo & specs...this iMac G5 does not seem to have the iSight.

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Nick, BTW, I was not trying to jump on your help either. Just wanted to clear up that one listing. Person is trying to state it's an iSight iMac when it's not. It has a bad logic board I also saw! I wonder if it's the Capacitor issue that some of the early iMac G5's had?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick, BTW, I was not trying to jump on your help either. Just wanted to clear up that one listing. Person is trying to state it's an iSight iMac when it's not.

No problems...my fault for linking an incorrect e-Bay auction (I trusted the sellers title).:(

My main reason for linking the auctions was that the OP said they couldn't find anything on e-Bay that was similar. This may happen from time to time...but usually I can find something...when others say they can't!;)

- Nick

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No problems...my fault for linking an incorrect e-Bay auction (I trusted the sellers title).:(

My main reason for linking the auctions was that the OP said they couldn't find anything on e-Bay that was similar. This may happen from time to time...but usually I can find something...when others say they can't!;)

- Nick

I found a few of the 20" version of FF's iMac. I am just shocked how low the price has gone on that last model iMac G5! :D

On Ebay you have to keep changing the wording of your search to find things. Many give up after the first try.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am just shocked how low the price has gone on that last model iMac G5! :D

Maybe you remember a couple months ago I picked up a iMac G5 1.8ghz, 17", non-iSight for $100 bucks. It was a heck of a deal, and I believe at the time it was supposed to me worth around $275-$300. It also came maxed out on ram with 2 gig which helped the value.

I just checked Mac2Sell...and it says that if it had only 512meg ram...the current value is $190 ($240 with 2 gig of ram).

I did a quick check, and a G5 iMac, 20" display, iSight, 2gig ram, 2.1ghz cpu...is worth around $350.

As you know...the one thing you can count on is used computer values dropping almost as fast as a snowball melting on the Sun!;)

- Nick

OP
fearlessfreap24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick - didnt mean to jump like that. my sincerest apologies :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick - didnt mean to jump like that. my sincerest apologies :)

No problems.:) I probably didn't make it super clear why I linked those two e-Bay auctions...so there was definitely some room for confusion.

- Nick

Reaction score
What you say...Theres no confusion here.;D
(As you know...the one thing you can count on is used computer values dropping almost as fast as a snowball melting on the Sun!) Thats Awesome.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.