Is Lion required to use iCloud?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
With iCal being totally different, will all my events, both home and subscribed, be available on the new iCan that is in Lion? I, too, have been putting off going to Lion from SL, but the call is clarion.

What's different is the UI, the notification stuff, etc. The actual .ics events, haven't changed.

OP
yzfmik
Reaction score
I would assume after tomorrows Lion update many of the problems people are experiencing will be addressed.

Reaction score
Vista but not Snow Leopard?

So iCloud works on Vista and Win7 for PC users, but only Lion for Mac users? I call shenanigans. How is that even possible?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Apple simply chose not to support Snow Leopard. It's as simple as that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2021 iMac running Sonoma. 1TB SSD, 16 gigs RAM. iPhone 15 Max Pro, iPad Air
My understanding is that iCloud will not have the Gallery feature. I use that in the Mobile Me configuration and it allows friends and family to upload and download pictures for everyone to see. Will we still be able to do this in iCloud? Somehow I doubt it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
My understanding is that iCloud will not have the Gallery feature. I use that in the Mobile Me configuration and it allows friends and family to upload and download pictures for everyone to see. Will we still be able to do this in iCloud? Somehow I doubt it.

According to the web page regarding the Mobile Me to iCloud transition, Web, Gallery and iDisk all disappear June 30, 2012

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
According to the web page regarding the Mobile Me to iCloud transition, Web, Gallery and iDisk all disappear June 30, 2012

That gives us plenty of time to move to Dropbox or something similar for minimal free picture and file sharing when needed.

I've installed the 10.7.2 update, but waiting to do anything with iCloud until I figure out how to keep my keychains synced across my Macs. Need to look at Dropbox and see if that will work similar to keeping 1Password synced across computers.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
That gives us plenty of time to move to Dropbox or something similar for minimal free picture and file sharing when needed.

I've installed the 10.7.2 update, but waiting to do anything with iCloud until I figure out how to keep my keychains synced across my Macs. Need to look at Dropbox and see if that will work similar to keeping 1Password synced across computers.

It will. I use Dropbox for my 1P keychain. Configure Dropbox Syncing - Mac

Reaction score
iCloud (+new iCaL&Mail) breaks outlook for mac big time.

Crap... updated the whole stuff till latest versions.
Turned on several iCloud services... BAM everything broken and not syncing anymore... Just turn the cloud of didn't fix my issues.
However APPLE kind of forced me to use iCal, Mail & Adressbook.
Doc's in the cloud... NOT, only stuff created with pages, numbers & keynote... bit disappointing but understandable.

Not an happy camper people... been a lot of work to migrate to iCal & co.
If someone is able to create a workaround, pls let me know.

p.s. However, with all lion native app's iCloud seems to play nice, now I'm off to update my iPhone to iOS5...
Oh... did I mention Microsoft had plenty of time to keep up with the upcoming iCloud release and provide an update, there have been developer releases for weeks/months...

Reaction score
Why iCloud for Vista and not older versions of Mac OS? I have several older Macs that do a perfectly good job but will not load Lion. It seems that I will have to go to other vendors for iCloud type services. Fortunately DropBox supports not only all Mac and Windows versions, but Linux as well and I have three of those.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Why iCloud for Vista and not older versions of Mac OS?
It forces you to upgrade which means Apple makes more money. Simple as that.

BrianLachoreVPI

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
We're all being assimilated into the Borg... :)

Reaction score
iMac with Lion and MacBook with Snow Leopard

I just purchased my new iMac and I am trying to get the applications that I have on my MacBook over to the iMac using iCloud. It seems from what I've read that I have to upload OS X Lion to my MacBook as step one.

My iCloud account is set up and I have even seen an app that I put on my iPhone come up on my iPad automatically. I'm trying to basically sync all my Apple devices but not necessarily all the functions between my iPad, iPhone and iMac and can use some help. I know it's a lot but I'm a quick learner. Tried to get this all done when I picked up the iMac at the Apple store but they rushed me out. thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.